Why is this one of Veeky Forums's favorites?

Why is this one of Veeky Forums's favorites?

It's short, give it a read and find out for yourself.

Because Dosto is the man and it's really good and short.

I'm reading it now just finished chapter one

He's one of my favorites, but that's not one of my favorites from him. for work of that length, I really like The Double, Notes from the House of the Dead, and The Gambler. To me, NfU is sort of on the same relative level as The Adolescent, and for similar reasons.

He portraits extremely well how pathetic some people can turn into. Kinda hit home too.

What other books are like this? Book of disquiet? Beware of pity?

Confederacy of Dunces perhaps

that cover is really good

The Underground Man is so /r9k/ it's uncanny.

I know, I can't really put my finger on what's so special about it, but it just fits so well with the book.

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

One of the best short novels I've ever read and it's very much influenced by the Underground Man.

Oh, I've been thinking about buying that. Did you like it, user?

i identify with the underground man way too much

Yes. It's one of the few books I've read that when I finished I audibly "wow"ed. Incredibly raw.

Welcome to the NHK is a very entertaining book. It's trashed here a lot but I enjoyed it.

It appeals to the edgy autist in all of us. If you don't see yourself in the narrator, then you at least know someone else who fits the bill. It's also just an interesting look at solitude, egotism, resentment, and quite a bit more. Also Dostoevsky wrote it, so it has the name behind it (and its length makes it appealing for people looking to get into Dosto but who aren't willing to commit to Crime and Punishment or the Brothers Karamazov right off the bat.) All told, I'd give it a 7.5/10

I haven't read it in about five years but from what I remember it was relatable to me because of how he thought. But the parts of the book where he goes full autism weren't as relatable. I'm too socially anxious to react to people the way he did.

I'd give it an 8.1.

>not commiting to Crime and Punishment right off the bat

bitch niggas man, i hate em

His only good book besides The Double.

Feels more like a 7.4 burrito windshield desu senpai

back to /mu/ with you

I love Dostoyevsky but this story makes me angry. It's very interesting to read but I just can't see hw despicable and worthless some people are.

Because it is literally me.

>this Nabokovian stooge

Because most people on this board are self-hating asocial losers. Go read that "how many friends do you have" thread.

>Go read that "how many friends do you have" thread.
That thread is very pro-social. Awful post.