From his Goodreads profile, written by him:

From his Goodreads profile, written by him:

>It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

This is the current "king" of the Fantasy genre. Is there a more JUST genre anywhere?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=abfLDg_7Hjo
ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>He still roll-plays occasionally
More like he still roll-eats occasionally

My life is worse for knowing this person exists

you're just jelly he was able to lose his virginity

>and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl.

why do I imagine that his advice was actually really pathetic and girls were just asking for it to laugh at afterwards behind his back?

>taking a creative autobiography at face value

jesus christ this is cringe as fuck, this is a joke right? he's making fun of the typical 'cringe fantasy loving self-confessed nerd virgin' cliche right?

"giving advice" is the calling card of the beta orbiter

as is saying

>and became a skilled lover of women

in your professional bio. it just reeks of desperation to let everyone know you banged out a 5/10 goblin. i can think of another prominent beta figure who did this:

9:14 to 9:48
youtube.com/watch?v=abfLDg_7Hjo

Sounds like someone should have been beaten more as a child.

GRRM is probably the current king of fantasy. Sanderson would be prince, Rothfuss a duke and then all the random tier 3/4 authors would be barons. Popular self-published authors would be gentry or something.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.” ~ Patrick Rothfuss

His highest-rated quote on Goodreads sucks himself off.

The reason Kvothe is pronounced "quothe" must be because he's a self-insert.

I like the anger of a gentle man part.

Why is it written Kvothe if it's pronounced quoth? Is this consistent with other names in the books?

Ya because everyone else is named Sam or Percy.

That's what i mean though--he's saying he, himself, as an author, is the most intimidating force in the universe. He's saying this through his character's POV.

The other names are equally stupid. Take your pick: Arwyl, Aethe, Iax, Josn, Kale, Lanre, Bast, Carceret, Basil...

And then other characters have such exquisite names as Jane, Jarret, Jason, Nathan, Seth, Katie or Marie...

Only a few good ones: Abenthy, Auri, Gel, Rike.

I enjoyed the Name of the Wind, then I read into the author and it was like, man this whole book is this guys masturbatory fantasy.

I would read that fanfic

The first book is fine if you read it as some old war hero embellishing his life story in the most over the top way, but then you read the second book and realize the Rothfuss is just an idiot who will never finish whatever he has planned for the series anyway.

Right. There is no way in hell there can only be one more book with the pace of the second one. He has far too much to cover.

i really hate these books but the third and final installment is coming out this year so

He's a liberal, younger, less-intelligent and more-arrogant Gene Wolfe. Same sort of formless metafictional structure; favours first person narrative and an emphasis on passive world building as well; that said, it's clear which one has actually suffered from reality enough to accurately emulate it

Lache.

didn't he say, that it's just the end of the bit about Kvothe's past and then there'll be sequels?

I had to stop reading it because his narcissism showed through too much.

>Is there a more JUST genre anywhere?

The novelists of Veeky Forums will bring it back once their experimental aesthetically phantasmagoric literary fantasy novels get published and a single tear of pride will run down the dessicated sockets of Lord Dunsany's corpse

Annnnyday now!

How can anyone even finish the first book? When i got to the "Let's feed this dragon, (which is NOT a dragon, but a gigantic, mystical lizard!), heroin we found in an abandoned drug lab in the forest to kill it and save ourselves!" i was done forever with the guy. I've read literal anime books designed for wanking which were leaps and bounds above that drivel.

Seeing the guy's bio teached me i should do that to know how to approach a book...

And Wolfe is God.

I know the saying "beware the anger of a patient man". what's to fear of someone gentle?

what a low energy loser

>Basil
>stupid

sauce?

Day 3 is supposed to end his story. Next up is a prequel novel (possible trilogy?) about a legendary figure in the Kingkiller world, Laniel Young-Again AKA Denna.

>and became a skilled lover of women
Dear God

Read: serial rapist

This is from a review of his 2nd book. The main character, Kvothe, meets the fae nymph Felurian, who he fucks for 70 pages (not joking). In this time they have sexposition and he gets a cool cloak. It has 0 other ramifications for the story whatsoever.

>FELURIAN

>Oh Felurian. Where to begin.

>Felurian is that staple of fantasy novels, the deadly naked sex monster. She's the most beautiful, most alluring, most sexually attractive woman you'll ever see, and she will totally kill you with sex.

>Kvothe catches her, bones her, breaks free of her sex-death-nudity mind control, completely whips her ass in a straight fight, then bones her again, then plays music that makes her think he's awesome, then writes half a song about her that is so awesome that she agrees to let him go so that he can finish it, then disses her sexual prowess, which prompts her to get really insecure and tell him what an amazing lover he is, then they have sex some more, then she sews him a magic cloak, while he goes away and talks to a prophetic tree which turns out to be evil.

>Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.

>This last line, apart from being switched from the first to the third person, is a direct quote from the book.

>So yeah, Felurian.

>I should repeat that apart from a few misgivings, the Vintas segments of The Wise Man's Fear did actually convince me that I'd misjudged the book, that pacing issues aside it was going to turn out okay. The Felurian section convinced me that what I was dealing with was the worst kind of third-rate wish-fulfilment crap.

>Here is the exchange between Kvothe and Felurian after he finishes his half-finished song (a song, I should add, which is included in full in the text, and which both Kvothe and Felurian describe as having beautiful words – a claim I would hesitate to make about anything I had written myself, particularly if it was incidental music for my fantasy novel):

EXCERPT:

>Some of the fire left her, but when she found her voice it was tight and dangerous. “my skills 'suffice'?” She hardly seemed able to force out the last word. Her mouth formed a thin, outraged line.

>I exploded, my voice a roll of thunder. “How the hell am I supposed to know? It's not like I've ever done this sort of thing before!”

>She reeled back at the vehemence of my words, some of the anger draining out of her. “what is it you mean?” she trailed off, confused.

>“This!” I gestured awkwardly at myself, at her, at the cushions and the pavilion around us, as if that explained everything.

>The last of the anger left her as I saw realization begin to dawn, “you...”

>“No,” I looked down, my face growing hot. “I have never been with a woman.” Then I straightened and looked her in the eye as if challenging her to make an issue of it.”

>Felurian was still for a moment, then let her mouth turn up into a wry smile. “you tell me a faerie story, my kvothe.”

>I felt my face go grim. I don't mind being called a liar. I am. I am a marvellous liar. But I hate being called a liar when I'm telling the perfect truth.

>Regardless of my motivation, my expression seemed to convince her. “but you were like a gentle summer storm.” She made a fluttering gesture with a hand. “you were a dancer fresh upon the field.” Her eyes glittered wickedly.

/EXCERPT

>That's right, Kvothe was so amazing at doing sex that the ancient sex goddess of sex and death was actually unable to believe that he was a virgin because he was so amazing at doing sex.

>Once again, I say this. The next time you hear anybody complain about the fact that – in certain popular novels targeted at young women – hundred year old vampires fall for sixteen year old schoolgirls, point out to them that in one of the most critically acclaimed fantasy novels of the twenty-first century a faery creature of unbridled sexual potency, as ancient as time itself, who lures men to their deaths with her irresistible beauty and insatiable lovemaking has her mind blown by the sexual prowess of a sixteen year old virgin.

>There is a part of me, a tiny part, which respects the sheer brass bollocks of this. Not only does Kvothe get to live out the adolescent fantasy of being taught how to be amazing at sex by a fantastically hot older woman (and I understand and appreciate this fantasy, and don't think there's anything wrong with it – adolescent fantasies are important, even for grownups, hell that's why I play RPGs and read genre fiction) but said hot older woman takes the time out at the start of the whole sequence to make it very clear both to him and to the reader that he was already amazing at sex and that all her tuition will be doing is making him even more amazing at sex.

>Also what is up with her not using capitalization. What does that even sound like?

>As part of the Felurian interlude Kvothe encounters a prophetic tree, which Bast interrupts the story to tell us is the most dangerous thing ever because it has absolute knowledge of the future and is utterly malicious, and therefore if you encounter it your every action will bring nothing but destruction (this is clearly a nonsensical idea, and is dropped into the middle of the text without ceremony or foreshadowing and I have no idea if we're even supposed to take it seriously). The whole faery interlude just came so totally out of left field and turned the story on its head in ways that felt annoying and unsatisfying. It introduced a whole bunch of concepts that didn't really have any buildup, and it transformed Kvothe's story from a story about a clever, resourceful man whose reputation grew far beyond the reality to the story of a man who really was just all that and a bag of chips. Suddenly he went from being somebody who did great things, and to whom legendary powers were attributed, to somebody who really did just have access to ancient powerful magic for no clear reason.

>To put it another way, at the start of this review, I quoted the “I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings...” section from the first book. In The Name of the Wind we see that when Kvothe “burned down the town of Trebon” what really happened was that the town was burned down by a rampaging Draccus (a creature which itself was the mundane source of a fantastical rumour) while Kvothe was in the area for other reasons. This engaged cleverly with the novel's central themes.

>In The Wise Man's Fear we deal with the “I have spent the night with Felurian” section of the speech. Unlike the town of Trebon, where the truth behind the story is both more mundane and more interesting than the version that is repeated in legend, the story of Kvothe's night with Felurian is just – well – exactly what it says on the tin. There's no clever twist or double meaning, no unexpected subversion of our expectations. He just really did do something which he totally shouldn't have been able to do, and looked awesome while doing it, and got to have loads of sex with a really really hot woman who by the way thought he was awesome at sex. It's not clever, it's not illuminating, it's just pathetic.

Rest of the review here, it's pretty good: ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751

>Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.

accidentally a phrase in copy + paste

On top of the content itself being cringy, who the fuck writes THEIR OWN Goodreads profile? That seems like an exercise in narcissism.