Has any one single person advanced philosophy/society/human life as much as him?

Has any one single person advanced philosophy/society/human life as much as him?

I don't know.

Anyone else

Assuming that's Sam Harris, the answer is...

by offering a philosophy which is appealing to the cultural preoccupation with the here&now

spiritual materialism is a hot product these days because most of us are so well suited for it in the first place

much easier, much more convenient to discard religion altogether rather than beginning down one of the infinite paths to god

God doesn't exist bud

Aside from getting his ass kicked in by Chomsky, I don't know what this guy has even done.

Stop with the damn meemees and read a book.

>ass kicked by chomsky

did you read the exchange? Chimmer got eviscerated. I'm surprised he wasn't hospitalised for trauma after realising his whole body of work had become void.

Also, anyone who takes Stirner seriously is a mong anyway so...

your response is perfectly in line with my post. i don't see a reason to continue discussing this

got nothing to do with convenience. God existing and giving order is obviously the easier belief. I don't see any reason to continue discussing either

>>doesn't understand words

how did you come to that conclusion?

>God existing and giving order is obviously the easier belief.

what are those words? i never mentioned anything of the sort. those are your words, friend, not mine

this assumption is a leap of faith that i feel obligated to direct your attention to. whatever you choose to do with it now is your business

which assumption is that, first time you've mentioned an assumption

The assumption that

>God existing and giving order

is a crucial element in any way.

the assumption that any of this or that construct of YOURS is a crucial element

of course this is the idea you get looking at a lot of modern christian practice. but alfred north whitehead said religion is what the individual does with his own solitariness

but an atheist wouldn't know about what whitehead has written because most atheists are simply not interested. they don't know what william james has written about religion either. most of them are preoccupied posting memes on facebook. there's the convenience, friendo. you choose not to engage with a wealth of material which, somewhere down the line, will bring truth to you which is deeper than words.

NO MORE MEEMEES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dumbass X)

seems more like the convenience is you using the word religion in ways which are not the norm in order to prove a point.

Also there is an assumption that because someone doesn't believe in God they have to not be interested in the subject and yet if they sincerely came to that conclusion they had to think about it...

Same way I can read sci-fi and not believe in aliens

>Also, anyone who takes Stirner seriously is a mong anyway so...
Anyone who doesn't take him seriously hasn't read him.

Sam Harris gets spanked by almost everyone he "debates", the most embarrassing part is how he declares himself the victor. He should just kill himself, because feeling sorry for him is getting tiring.

This is the problem with the current state of affairs regarding god. People are too quick to say god does or does not exist. The real question is regarding how to define god accurately. Regardless of facts, we know it's a word that means something important to people. Before dismissing god, we should first dismiss the more common, inaccurate definitions of god. We should study why and how it's capable of being so meaningful and powerful.

yes. many

>The real question is regarding how to define god accurately.
A figment of our ancestors imaginations, which stuck around well after it's debunking because it holds so much weight in society as a means to control.

My hamster. Biologist dad said he found it a new home, really just used it to see if it could live after drinking nothing but distilled water - apparently that's really bad for you. Still did more for humanity than Hairy Sammy. Fuuuuck, I've done more, unless I've given medical advice to the next Hitler I'm being totally serious. Also wtf is up with the file name OP? You've got issues.

Atheism and Scientism are even more effective form of control than Religion. There's no God, no right or wrong, no future except hedonism and consumption. Actually believing in God is a revolutionary act in 21st century society. That's why I find Flat Earth theory, UFOlogy, Occult Conspiracies, etc. subversive. it's not a matter of it being true. It's a tool which can be used to smash materialist 'consensus' reality imposed on us from above.

>Actually believing in God is a revolutionary act in 21st century society
It's a reactionary act.
Capitalism is what's controlling people in this world. Hence the sluggish response to the threat of climate change.

nah it's 'consensus' reality. Tribal societies had a very different version of reality than 20th century people, marked by rituals, spirituality and psychoactive substances. 21st century is a dystopian version of this we got mass media internet technology, psychiatric drugs, distortions of reality most people don't realise are there. It isn't more or less 'real' than 20th century life or the world of African tribes who commune with their ancestors on a daily basis. But it's a controlled reality, certain drugs are illegal and others are pushed on a mass level.

>communism
grow up, buttertits

Yeah, I think so. I think you can't change the fact that human biology innately seeks a kind of collective, spiritual existence. I think you can only change the expression of how the contexts of that need arises and is satisfied. And as you said, currently the situation is shit.

Yes, I mentioned capitalism there.

I can't claim to have ever been a communist. I went from "progressive liberal" to anarchist.

End capitalism and we can end the state as we know it.
Capitalism delenda est.