because of his followers

who sam harris and why should I care?

>makes christfags angry
>triggers SJWs
>enrages muslims and their apologists
>infuriates Continentals
>BTFOs edgy moral nihilists
>pisses off irrationalists and science deniers of every stripe

He thinks for himself and comes to conclusions that don't sit neatly along the current left/right axis of political thought in the west. So both sides see him as a heretic. He's also pretty good at debating his points so lots of people get humiliated by him in public.

>BTFOs edgy moral nihilists
What did he say/do?

I'm not but I think he's talking about the fact that Harris makes the argument that there are 'right' and 'wrong' things to do. He thinks it a good idea for Muslims to educate and emancipate their women and doesn't agree with moral relativists who say we can't tell other cultures what's good for them.

His greatest crime is doing all of the above and speaking plainly and clearly. People want a wacky guy who's either a lovable kook (Zizek) or an easily dismissed crazy. They need some way to diminish him.

But Sam "meditation master" Harris steps up in the pocket and never loses his cool.

If that's all he did, I wouldn't have a problem with him. The reality is, he lacks rigor and tends to bloviate on topics he is utterly clueless about.

His entire thesis about morality. Its basically a constructivist epistemology of morals. I'm not really gonna go any more in depth than that because it would get to lengthy and detailed.

To be clear, I dont wish to imply that Harris is some ground breaking philosopher of immense depth and importance whose ideas exceed the limitations of a internet message board post. That being said, he's also not just some insignificant hack that's spewing out worthless drivel. He hasn't made any profound or original contributions to philosophy; rather, he's more so a popularizer of philosophy in the sense that Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss are popularizers of science. However, I do think his work is slighly more detailed and intellectually mature than pop-science books. I'd say he's basically writing on a level somewhere between shit like pop-science or political commentary and say introductory level university courses.

go on

I saw him say some stupid stuff about the crypto/apple debate but what other stuff lacking in rigour has he said?

Put it in the other Harris threads.

Only someone without a background in philosophy would say that.

lmao
he's a pseud dude

It takes an outsider.

case in point

I'm starting to believe Veeky Forums is this place where people first hate, then ironically appreciate and eventually post-ironically agree with anything from antisemitism to Sam Harris.

Veeky Forums actually convinced me there was a problem with anti-Semitism in the West. Before I came here I had literally never encountered a single instance of it.

I am a devout Christian, of course I don't like him.

Not to mention racism, sexism, xenophobia, nationalism, etc. It's been darkly lurking under the surface all along, and the anonymous internet has unleashed it.

I like the sound of this man.

I think a lot of it is posted as a tryhard edgy joke but it's so constant that its obvious at least a few people actually believe it.

Gee, it makes you wonder, maybe they're like, I don't know, natural human extincts?

The only one on that list that is contemptible is racism, and only then if it's institutional.

But cool brah, let's just tear down all borders.

inb4 "thanks for proving my point". Your strangehold on freedom of speech is coming to an end.

>lumping nationalism in with racism and sexism like they're equally bad

Brilliant case study of the M.O. of the leftist demagogue.

He's leagues below Zizek in the living, popular philosopher category.

Sexism is also a load of bunk, nobody believes men and women are the same except delusional extreme left wingers (and women, of course).