What is your favourite 19th century novel and why?

What is your favourite 19th century novel and why?

You posted it.

But why though

>reading prose in the golden age of poetry

Really though, I love Pride and Prejudice. Sue me.

It touches upon a great many subjects, from society and faith to crime and mystery, all with a mastery of literary depth and beauty. Every single character is alive and crafted with care and passion. In short, it's the culmination of all the years of creativity of a great novelist. All of Dostoevsky's talents, philosophy and psychology compacted within one book.

It's the greatest novel ever written, in my opinion.

Mine would be The Idiot. I thought that BK was too didactic, but The Idiot has both a robust story, and great characters.

"The hegumen Pafnuty sets his hand to it"

I don't know why, but that phrase always stuck with me

>tfw I just bought this book yesterday and it's on the way

Moby-Dick
Philosophical, comfy, adventurous, short chapters, good prose, interesting characters, many allusions which make rereading fun

i just love this book. studied it extensively in college, wrote my thesis on it. read it more than any other novel- probably like 8 or 9 times. to this day i still believe it is the perfect american novel: a well-written, racially charged adventure through the heartland of the country where a nigger and a piece of white trash forge a beautiful friendship and confront issues trust and corruption. (all issues that still dominate our country's politics) like america this book starts out great and is nearly perfect until the very end, when it all goes to shit.

plus i like reading the word nigger

all old books are bad, objectively

old is a subjective term plebio

nice subjective opinion plebio

please tell me the exact date when a novel becomes 'old'

anything pre-1995, objectively of course.

enjoy reading franzen and zadie

>every single character is alive and crafted

Jesus Christ, what fuckin book did you read senpai? All the female characters are fuckin lunatics (as in Dostoevsky's other books), and a great deal of the male characters too. Plus they are all empty puppets filled only with their creator's so-called great ideas.

Fun fact, many women in Dosto's novels are based on real life people as are the male characters. Grushenka was based on a woman he dated (married maybe? I can't remember) whom was nuts and fled to Paris with another man solely to make him jealous. When he said "fuck you he can keep you" she freaked out and went nuts.

What the fuck

>All the female characters are fuckin lunatics
It's called realism

I'm living in a collective w grushenka right now. Shit's real. dostoevsky knew what was up

> buy a "delux" edition of brothers Karamazov for 100$ dollars
> translated directky from russian to my native language, hard cover, some nice ilustrations by a famous national artist, all very tidy and perfect
> never read it passed the first page
It's been 5 years. One day I'm gonna read it, I promise!!!

> paying for books
Man I'm so fucking used to shoplifting my books from local bookstores and library that the mere idea of paying for one sounds alien to me.
I wonder If i should stop at this point...

>Stealing from a library
Why?

I want the books for me only, on my shelf forever.

Le Comte De Monte Cristo desu

It's special to me because I read it for the first time when I was a teenager and could relate easily to the plot dealing with mindless injustice and the story of vengeance. The restoration of order is so rewarding and it's a very nice adventurous feel to it. Always nice to pick it up, probably gonna read it once again this summer

kek

mason & dixon because it's so cozy

nigger

Then you sucked Kevin Bacon off

What translation do you suggest for Karamazov?

thanks, i just came

I read it in Garnett's and it was excellent.

P&V

Haven't even seen Sleepers actually, is it any good?