Book 1 / Part 1

My father, then twenty-two years of age, tapped my mother’s shoulder as she sat among her sisters along the edge of the dancefloor at a local disco, and asked her if she would like to dance on what he would soon learn was the night of her eighteenth birthday. A daughter, a son, and a miscarriage later, I was born on the redacted in a hospital atop a small hill overlooking pastureland where cows bowed their heads to graze. For almost six years I would be the youngest member of a family upon whose love I could depend and in whose company I could express the giddy excitement of my early youth.

You might want to lengthen Part 1 a little bit.

holy shit lads he's actually doing it

BRING ON PART II BABY, HOLY MOLY.

WHEN DOES THE MALAISE SET IN???

Soon after my birth I was lifted from a struggling mass of newborn babies and presented to a ward of mothers who had recently given birth so that the nurses could explain to the less experienced among them how a child should be held, washed, fed and tended to. I had been chosen for this role by one of the nurses on my mother’s ward who was perhaps the first person in my life to acknowledge the distinct purity and innocence I represented and that I would continue stubbornly to represent in a world where such virtues would contend with the organized forces of corruption and degradation. Thus began a life of distinction, plucked from my peers in order to represent the finer aspects of their nature, burdened already with a duty to serve as an example of all that is healthy in a world inflicted with decay. This was a duty I did not yet comprehend and one I welcomed with the native joy of any child who is granted the care and tender attention of loving maternal figures. Both the nurses on my mother’s ward and the women who occupied the beds around the one in which she lay congratulated her on the health and beauty of her infant son, whose soft plump body, wide eyes and thick red lips were complimented by a calm disposition and a reluctance to cry and flail as the babies around him consistently would. My silent disposition was not yet any cause for worry or despair, and was at that early moment a welcome suggestion that my infancy would not be defined by tears and howls of discontentment. Already I was a stoic: reacting to the world in which I had been suddenly burdened to live with silent dispassion and a quiet yearning no doubt to return to the small warm space in which my existence had so far been confined.

To a woman who was then thirty-eight years of age, and who had already suffered a miscarriage in she and her husband’s ambition to bear a third child, the relief that her newborn son was not only healthy but also the most beautiful of the three children to which she had so far given birth must have overwhelmed my mother’s natural shyness, which would otherwise have likely encouraged her to pardon herself from the attention and praise she and her baby boy received. My sister turned twelve years old on the day I was born and soon came to visit the hospital along with my brother, two years her junior, excited to be presented with what she would later tell me was the best birthday present she could have hoped for on. My sister’s nascent maternal longing now had a living object on which to be expressed, in a way that dolls and teddy bears and other representatives of all that which requires the loving and tender care of a gentle and nurturing figure had not sufficiently provided. Younger than my siblings by a decade, I looked up from my tight bundle of warm white blankets to see four faces belonging to a family already long-established, my parents no longer young and my siblings already on the brink of entering their teenage years. It was as though I was a dog who had been invited to sit at the dinner table alongside the family whose house it occupied, and who can only look around in helpless confusion as its members stare towards it with smiling, incomprehensible expectation.

For any young couple whose perspectives have been shaped not only by the urgency of their biological drives but also by the traditions and expectations of their culture, it is understandable that, should these two internal forces combine to encourage a single aspiration, the young couple will treat this aspiration as a natural expression of their own independent wills and in turn seek to honour by allowing it to dictate in part the direction of their lives. The reproduction of the human species via the sexual union of its members is such an aspiration, one that to the great number of people is so overwhelming in its basic necessity that a refusal to involve oneself in the birth of a child and to grant them the inheritance of your own unique biological disposition is to commit a crime punished by a law whose capacity for punishment exceeds physical detention by the State or censure of one’s community, and is a punishment inflicted internally and incessantly, and often with growing intensity, for the rest of one’s existence. But for a man and a woman whose erotic potency has faded, and whose lives are dictated less by the temperament of their erogenous zones than by the stability of their financial state and the rational calculation of their thoughts, the decision to invest life in a non-existence being must be considered on the whole to be a decision based on considerations largely divorced from the demands made upon them by their native drives, and, should their union have already resulted in the birth of a child, be considered more of a personal ideal than as a consequence of the influences of their social climate. It is to such an ideal that I owe my own existence, an ideal which can be traced to no clear external source and which must therefore be accepted as something largely arbitrary, such as the colour of a new car or the texture of a bedroom curtain. Three children, of which I was to be the third and final: the conclusion of their familial aspirations, a symbol of the unity which had by that point existed between them for almost twenty years.

come back memoir san we want to hear about all your problems

Shortly after my mother was permitted to leave the hospital our family returned home to number fourteen, REDACTED Avenue. This was my parents’ second home and the first large enough to accommodate their growing family and their own growing ambitions. Their previous address was four streets away, and had been bought at a time when my father’s job as an apprentice civil engineer could barely justify the mortgage required for its purchase. My mother’s family, which was among the largest in the area and whose members largely lived within a twenty minute drive, provided the young couple with items of furniture, strips of carpet, tins of paint and anything else they could spare that mother could use to decorate the home in which a daughter and first son would soon be born. Despite living in a small town where few people possessed any more money than was required to maintain a modest lifestyle dictated by routine, my parents, with the assistance of those same people, were thus able to construct for themselves an early imitation of their ideal family home. One of the few photographs from the time depict a square of grass surrounded by breeze blocks, my father a shirtless blur pursued by my infant sister in a sun hat holding the hose towards him. Another includes four people I do not recognize sitting on a two-person sofa, others standing nearby with their backs to the vertical blinds along a living room window, smiling at something taking place beyond the camera's ken.

BOOOOOOORING

>tfw your novel is shaping up way better than the person everyone on Veeky Forums circlejerks over

this reads like a textbook

Yes, I'm sure your novel is as great as you think it is.

yeah it's brutal

The house on REDACTED Avenue had been bought several years later, when my father was in his late twenties and had been promoted to a more senior role at the company in which he worked. The house was a third of the way up a steep street which ascended to a lengthy plateau, at the far end of which was a small cul-de-sac and a narrow footpath which led between two houses into a thicket of trees. The street was lined by detached and semi-detached houses, some of which, including my own no doubt, were among the most expensive in the immediate area. Some solitary plants and bushes and a wall of wide flat stones about a foot in height separated the narrow and barely-used front lawn from the pavement, a driveway at one end allowing my father to park his Mercedes alongside the house and those wishing to reach our front door to enter and walk between the lawn and the front of the house. No cars were ever parked inside the garage which occupied the space directly below my parents’ bedroom, at the far left hand side of the house as viewed from the street, the dark blue door of which l would sometimes peel with my fingers, fingers that would grow to be both proportionate and a representatives of a well-proportioned body, both delicate and well-served by the muscles involved in gripping and so on, until a piece of peeled paint would stab the sensitive area beneath my fingernail, causing me to press down on the nail itself in an instinctive attempt to smother the pain or distract myself from it by the sensation of the pressure I applied. The front door itself was positioned on the right of the house, between the window of a largely disused and unfrequented dining room and the living room in which much of my infancy would take place. The door was sheltered by a peaked canopy topped by black tile and supported on one side by a column one and a half bricks in width, these bricks being of the same brownish hue as the rest of the home, staining dark in winter and blushing crimson in the sun.

get some fucking personality

There were four bedrooms and my own was the smallest, located at the head of the stairs and midway along a short landing between my parents’ large bedroom on one end and the bedrooms of my brother and sister on the other. The doors of both my siblings’ rooms faced across the landing towards the door of my parents’ room, with my own, in a way that would later become symbolic, stranded between the opposing walls and facing instead the bathroom that my siblings and I would use, my parents having their own. My first bed was a cot in which I sat as placid and content as a small tamed animal, looking up at anybody who entered the room with a curiosity too weak to encourage anything more than a wide-eyed stare as I used my facial muscles to guide the soft warm plastic of my dummy in and out of my mouth. I had a great attachment to my dummy and when, years later, my mother attempted to explain that I was too old to continue using it my obvious anguish convinced her to allow me a little more time with what I counted among my favourite possessions. I have never used my thumb as a substitute for a dummy or as a means of attaining the pleasurable sensations a dummy otherwise allows, and though I may be accused here and elsewhere of clinging too stubbornly to the sentiments and possessions associated with a youth that must be sacrificed for the sake of a whole and proper life I remember without shame my fondness for the udder-like object which I held secured in my mouth in those years when it had only my tongue for company.

my opening paragraph (WIP):
>"If he was going to be a stupid bathos footnote, then get on with it. It would still be half-humorous to come tardy at the end of his life. He’d laughed about it yesterday, clawing at his face."

his:
>"My father, then twenty-two years of age, tapped my mother’s shoulder as she sat among her sisters along the edge of the dancefloor at a local disco, and asked her if she would like to dance on what he would soon learn was the night of her eighteenth birthday. A daughter, a son, and a miscarriage later, I was born on the redacted in a hospital atop a small hill overlooking pastureland where cows bowed their heads to graze. For almost six years I would be the youngest member of a family upon whose love I could depend and in whose company I could express the giddy excitement of my early youth."

one of those grabs the reader, the other doesn't. openers matter unless you're self-publishing.

>one of those grabs the reader
Are you sure?

yup, might be too navel-gazing (it is WIP), but it's unambiguously more interesting

Leave memoir-chan alone he's a local legend

I like his more than yours. You might want to post a better example.

you point to dubs on the other side woody

Forgot about my CSS.

;^)

theyre called pacifiers or binkies but never dummy you uncultured swine

m**** mccarthy