/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Arthurian Edition

What's your favorite book about (or inspired by)
the King Arthur mythos?

Previously: >Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/list/show/2365.Pre_Tolkien_Fantasy
grrm.livejournal.com/485124.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's your favorite book about (or inspired by) the King Arthur mythos?

I've always really enjoyed Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. Been meaning to read his Sharpe stories too.

the once and future king you stupid fucks

>random BR thinks he speaks for everyone

Don't you have a soccer stadium to burn down?

what's a br?

Uh I think you mean Le Morte d'Arthur dumbshit

nah that shit is mad boring and ultra repetitive.

My first hardback book. My aunt let me pick it out in the bookstore in fifth grade.

Fate/Stay Night

What fantasy books should I read if I enjoy serious lit but my favorite books as a child were lotr, narnia, potter etc... Looking for lit grade fantasy

Parzival or The Faerie Queene tbqh familie

the once and future king is the only acceptable literary fantasy

The Gormenghast books, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, stuff by Gene Wolfe (he's a meme 'round here, but legitimately good - that said I like his short stories better than BotNS or Latro). And if you haven't already.

Seriously read ASoIaF by GRRM. Its not lit grade (or is it?) but it is masterfully crafted story and universe. One of the best imo.

The Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker

Since when did sffg become meme general

lol don't do what this guy says. you will be wasting your time. book 1 blows, book 2 and 3 are great. 4 and 5 are utter shit and 6 will suck too then fatass will die and you will have wasted your time.

Since when was Bakker a meme?

since when was the once and future king a meme. it's second only to the Lord of them ribs

Little, Big by John Crowley. It's Harold Bloom-approved

About equal I'd say

I personally like it better than LOTR but I know a lot more people have read the Lord of the rings. merlin and Pellinore were just so damn funny.

Books by William Morris, George MacDonald, Mervyn Peake, Jorge Luise Borges, Italo Calvino and Ursula Le Guin

He said "lit grade", moron.

Damn, how'd I forget Borges?

These.

Also: Lord Dunsany, E. R. Eddison, James Branch Cabell, Charles G. Finney, David Lindsay, and Hope Mirrlees.

Probably because he's considered a great and important author in general, and not just primarily in the fantasy genre

Some of these seem like authors less famous than they deserve to be given their influence

Any books with a power and knowledge hungry mage as the MC?

Alright, so recently I read A Scanner Darkly and Electric Sheep. Are there any other books by PKD I should read? If not, who should I move onto?

All I can think of are Dragonlance books with Raistlin, loved 'em as a kid but looking back they probably weren't that good.

goodreads.com/list/show/2365.Pre_Tolkien_Fantasy

Do you guys think Doors of Stone is getting released this year?

Name of the Wind. Though he's more of a power and knowledge and pussy hungry bard cross-classed into mage, warrior, priest, alchemist, chick-magnet, and jock.

>Jock
When was he a jock? Are there even sports at the University?

Three Stigmata, Valis, High Castle. Most recommend Ubik too but I didn't think much of it.

If there were sports Kvothe would have obviously been the best at them.

Any fantasy with a little girl protagonist?

Cause Kvothe is the best at everything besides affording wizard school.

Yeah, your diary.

No. Word is its getting some heavy editing

Because Rothfuss is a hack

The Mists of Avalon

Also Gene Wolfes short story The Death of the Island Doctor

Also also, Glastonbury is Avalon. Until the Middle Ages the region was estuaries and swamps, the hills formed islands in it, then they built dykes and drained it. In the 12th century during the reconstruction of Glastonbury Abby a coffin carved out a tree trunk was found inscribing it as the coffin of King Arthur.

Wolfe hasn't done Arthur but he has done two works that refer elliptically to Arthur myth, the death of the island doctor and the wizard knight

It has a lot of archaic language so maybe he'll take it for techno babble.
Good recommendation.
Maybe some Philip K. Dick? A Scanner Darkly is kind of but not really a scifi and deals mostly with how much drugs ruin lives.

Alice in wonderland.
Elric is the most obvious that is also a pretty decent series.

This

Based Derfel. It actually felt real.

Anyone here read "The Stars My Destination" by Bester? Is it good?

Yes, it's a fun read. Your entertainment may vary.

Need and honest opinion on this book. Is it worth it?

Pyle is based. You read Robin Hood?

Castleview ... the magic animal for merlin/viviane. Castleview isnt one of his best. Death of the island doctor is more about the seasonal virtues of life (and death) and the magic of love.

>asks the same edition questions twice
You're not that grandpa lecturer by chance, are you?

Yes.

you wont regret it t b h

its a good time to get into the series now since the last book is happening soonish

The last book of the second series was divided into two, though.

FUCKING PATRICK

RELEASE THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLES #3 ALREAYD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Why do I even bother reading active fantasy books

It's fucking guaranteed the next book will take a decade to come out

Probably for the best. I hear its going to be a nuke.

Does anyone know of any similar awesome series books to Kingkiller Chronicles?
Must have magic

How about you try asking reddit

Actually good advice for half of people here

first for Dalinar

GIBS ME DAT NEXT BOO KALRDY!!!!

boring old duffer desu

I don't know hot to

>Lit keeps spouting how rothfuss is shit, sanderson is shit, stephen king is shit
>I love most of their books

Why is lit always wrong?

Go to /r/books and make a thread

/r/fantasy dude

Because you came from Reddit.

how could i come from reddit when reddit didnt even exist when i came here

Damn, was hoping that was a sex sub

This is the fantasy/sci-fi thread so you msut be a time traveler

Anyway if you've been here so long then it's probalby because you wathc lots of anime or some shit so that would explain your bad tastes

Anime is superior to books tbqh.

I didn't get into reading until last year
Thanks a lot compulsory reading in schools that made me hate books

It stopped being funny to say this five years ago

That's because it was never a joke.

Oreos are shit, hotpockets are shit, sodas are shit, hell even rice and past is shit if you're not outside doing hard labor/sports.

That doesn't mean they aren't delicious. Talking of Rothfuss, Sanderson, King on Veeky Forums is like talking of Oreos, Hotpockets and Sodas on Veeky Forums.

It's trolling, and while it's fun sometimes, your opinion can only be frowned upon. It's not that people hate oreos, it's that people ate real literature and found out they prefer health, taste and subtlety over dopamine.

True, it was always a poor attempt at one.

King is not great but he has at least contributed some good short stories to horror. Rothfuss and Sanderson aren't even good for their genre.

I've recently gotten into Sci-Fi but I also want to get into Fantasy too, my absolute favourite is pic related.

I really like Swords and Sorcery stuff like 70s Dark Horse Conan or Dungeons and Dragons, is Dragonlance a good first choice for me based on that?

If you liked Dune I'd recommend Second Apocalypse since the author cited Dune as an inspiration (and it definitely shows)

Have you read Elric of Melnibone? He's pretty essential for Sword & Sorcery.

John C. Wright BTFO by GRRM: grrm.livejournal.com/485124.html

Not a Martin fan, but Wright deserved that.

>is Dragonlance a good first choice
No, it's super-generic YA trash.

Have you read BotNS yet?

I have no idea what either of htem are talking about but I bet there's nothing remotely interesting about it

Martin seems to be a swell guy, don't really care for his books, but that was good.

tfw when Wright's whiny self-aggrandizing tone is so similar to the currently ongoing pol-threads that you wonder whether he posts on Veeky Forums

Actually, this John C. Wright guy seems like kind of a badass, and I bet he just makes you fags feel insecure.

>tipping his fedora since 2006

>I myself grow rather weary of watching shows or reading books from a foreign culture, where fornication is considered lawful and admirable, sexual perversion laudable, and there are no families to be seen. No one goes to Church, no women are feminine, and no men are masculine.

>That culture is political correctness — but it is more foreign to me, and more offensive, than reading traditional Japanese novels or watching Chinese historical dramas where polygamy and suicide are regarded as normal. At least the Chinese dramas show a proper respect for motherhood and family duties. They are peopled with real, if pagan, people, whose emotions and motives make sense to me.

>I will be reading merrily along in what I think is some perfectly ordinary adventure story or science fiction yarn, when suddenly a minor character, such a policeman, will announce that he has a husband. No one around him reacts as if he is a sick pervert or a crazypants. Because in crazypantsland male is female and female is male.

>when in a cop show, the cop’s partner decides to fornicate with the cop’s daughter, the true depth of emotion is displayed when the partner kneels and offers the daughter a box from a jewelry store. Inside is not a ring — fooled ya!–but a key. He is offering to move his gear into her apartment, to make the fornication and the eventual break easily to manage logistically.

>The cop, instead of drawing his sidearm and blowing the brains out of the man who is frelling his daughter outside of wedlock, merely looks mildly grumpy and says the situation is ‘weird’ but he is glad is his daughter is seeking happiness in shallow copulation with an unmarried man who has only moderate affection for her.

>These are not human emotions. A Martian, perhaps, would look upon the reproductive antics of his daughter, and hopes that she will raise his grandchildren as bastard in a single-mother home with no father, almost certain to be beaten or killed by one of her serial live-in lovers, but no real father from our planet, not one worthy of the than, hopes this.

It looks good, I'll give it a change.
Who wrote it?
What's BotNS?

I'm dying

>It's trolling, and while it's fun sometimes, your opinion can only be frowned upon. It's not that people hate oreos, it's that people ate real literature and found out they prefer health, taste and subtlety over dopamine.
This exactly. If you had something to say other than "fuck you I liked it" that challenged our perception of any of the books you mentioned then we could have a proper discussion about it, but as it stands you're not really contributing to the conversation at all.
You might also want to examine why you love their books. The Name of the Wind is basically Twilight with pretensions of grandeur, it opens with a monologue about a broken man slowly withering in the shadows of his achievements and then turns into "Kvothe is the Best at Everything" and as far as I can tell it's nothing but mental masturbation masquerading as something worthwhile. It's a shame too because Rothfuss has beautiful prose when he's not imagining himself a Kvothe or jerking of to how music is 3deep5you.

>No politically correct person has ever displayed the courtesy of a swine since the beginning of the world: they neither doff their caps to ladies, nor ask if you need any comfort, nor listen to your point of view, nor salute you will courteous greetings, nor say “sir” and “ma’am” and “miss” and “missus” like anyone not raised in a barn would do.

When reading Wright I have to remind myself that he's American, because in my head he sounds like a constipated Chesterton.

I'm not really seeing any BTFO here, this makes GRRM look like a whiny bitch.

Book of the New Sun

Its sci-fi, but also very good

It also has very rabid fans here who can recommend nothing else, so be wary lol

> Rothfuss has beautiful prose
Lol, examples?

Go to bed Wright

I think they're both bitches.

Book of the New Sun, it's like anime only Western.

I bet the book is much better in Japanese.