Summer reading before college

Hi. Today is my 18th birthday and I wanted to use it to finally post on Veeky Forums without breaking the rules. I'm heading off to college in a few months. What would you recommend to a novice reader like me?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit
amazon.com/dp/0521358124/
sonic.net/~rteeter/grtgood.html#college
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit

Have you checked the Veeky Forums wiki in the sticky yet? It's full of Veeky Forums starter kit recommendations and easily accessible classics.

Also happy birthday, user.

I'll briefly recommend some books that helped me get more involved in reading - they're accessible and fairly easy to read, but they're also of classic status and well-renowned:

George Orwell's 1984 (you probably know of this one - if you like it, also try out Huxley's Brave New World and Zamyatin's We)
John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy Of Dunces
Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Double (probably one of his most accessible works, but Notes From Underground is great too if you're new to his work)
Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho

Also if you already own a few books (which you probably do), I'd recommend reading those if you haven't already, just so you get yourself more used to reading frequently and to help build your reading speed. If those books are crap, I guess that's what charity shops are for.

Try some philosophy!
Maybe some Plato
www.amazon.com/dp/0872206335

Or some Descartes (meditations, objections and replies, and maybe the discourse on method)
amazon.com/dp/0521358124/

Followed by Hume
www.amazon.com/dp/0872202291

Steinbeck is accessible, beautiful and sometimes profound. East of Eden especially is a good stepping stone into literature.

Happy birthday!
read the sticky

Do Infinite Summer.

women and men
life and fate
Europe central
mason and Dixon
JR
the recognitions
gravity's rainbow
against the day

Somewhat related, I'm also going of to college this fall and have been working through this: sonic.net/~rteeter/grtgood.html#college what are Veeky Forums's thought on this reading list?

against the day is an easy read, so is the recognitions, remove them from this meme list

Happy birthday user, now you can meme with us big boys. Also , so you know what you're memeing about.

Don't forget Fahrenheit 451 if he likes 1984.

:p

If you haven't studied literature intensively at the college level, chances are the books on this list will all go right over your head. Hate to say it, and plenty of people on here will disagree, but it's true (with plenty of exceptions, of course, but not enough to undermine the fact).

Bloodmeme by Corncobs McCarthy is what got me into literature in high school. If you like (or think you like) high-quality prose and don't mind edgelord levels of violence and edginess, maybe read Blood Meridian and check out his other stuff if it interests you. When you feel ready, that'll set you up for reading Faulkner and other modernists as well.

nigga theres like 5 books there of course he could add that but then you might as well say urrr you forgot yada yada yada and its endless so shut yer damn gob about wanting yer shit book on the list. Id image a frog if i had one.

Surprised nobody has said it yet:

Finnegan's Wake

My real recommendation would be the complete short fiction of Hemingway.

Damn, it wouldn't let me put spoiler tags around the ' and now I just look stupid.

mein kampf

>easy read
>the recognitions

Yeah right like you understood the castration immediately.

hentai. A lot of hentai.