Want to get into Veeky Forumserature

>want to get into Veeky Forumserature
>read nothing but classics and other big boy Veeky Forums for a long while
>they're well written, sure, but you aren't really having fun at all
>think you need a break for a bit and go back to reading the pleb Veeky Forums you enjoyed before
>realize that the prose is messy, the stories are filled with cliches, the characters are one dimensional, and there's no deep ideas at all
>have to go back to reading only Veeky Forumserature
>tfw not even enjoying Veeky Forumserature but you have to read it because everything else sucks in comparison now

Enjoy your stay

Read nonfictions that are well written maybe?

This. There's a ton of great memoirs and interviews out there.

Also I really think that one should have interests beyond literature, primarily that help you work up a little sweat and do some work that feels meaningful and connects you to reality.

I like gardening and I think most would be surprised about the literary qualities of some books (The Apple Grower, Phillips / Breed your own vegetable varieties / Deppe). When the author shows clear love for the subject and you can read his passion in the work, that is awesome. So I would not discard that.

Read foreign literature.

You won't be as judgemental because you don't dominate the language and might judge the absence of quality as a product of your own misunderstandings. But you can still have fun without thinking much.

It is the only way to filter enjoyment away from lack of quality.

>pic unrelated

There are plenty of classics that are enjoyable, light-ish reads and are still well written.

Shit i can see on my bookshelf from the other side of the room include Tom Sawyer, LOTR trilogy, Dracula, Lovecraft books, PKD books

that sounds really nice actually.

>that Hitler in a bowtie tipping his hat

You are now ready to become a big boy, welcome to non-fiction.

You're halfway through, the endgame is lifelong depression and possibly suicde.

Hell yeah, this. I discovered my fetish for well written history books and it has been nothing but joy for me.

i guess that's a perspective thing.

Any recs?

glad im not alone

history of the russian revolution trotsky

Veeky Forums now all
>think the for at bit to fun but filled the messy, need characters boy you deep Veeky Forumserature a before
>realize Veeky Forumserature
>tfw written, not and you even because go with a Veeky Forums that reading big else and really to well enjoyed sucks the long into get cliches, break to but you there's are are aren't sure, classics while
>they're ideas in back at to dimensional, back only having have Veeky Forumserature
>read comparison pleb but
>want it nothing reading for stories enjoying you everything go and a one is all
>have no other to read the prose

Just read literary / stylized genre fiction. James Ellroy, William Gibson, Burroughs, fucking Pynchon. That shit is fun as fuck.

Fuck yeah.
Also Gene Wolfe, Samuel Delany, maybe some Eddison.

Watch Matrix, Robocop, one of those TV series that are popular right now, play FPS vidya, watch comedies in theaters, read funny books (Discworld and Gogol, for example)...

.Dracula is boring as fuck

No.
It's a good book.

I had that exact same experience OP. I should've read sci-fi , fantasy, and plebcrap as a youngster

What did you read as a youngster if not genre fic?

how about you exercise your fucking brain and instead of picking random shit off the shelf and trusting Veeky Forums on everything you read you go out and do research and look for lesser known authors and books who can find middle ground between fun and literary qualities.

Come back when you have found some then share them with the rest of us please, be a good litizen There is a massive MASSIVE sea of fucking books out there that Veeky Forums has for the most part no idea about.