Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on him?

Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0&index=2&list=FLTEJ5t_IvaODJwECWkyS8_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=8YgmQJkFcJY
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=uImGPVsthzY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBzz0kvWtU
youtube.com/watch?v=IZiV6bmPLfw
youtube.com/watch?v=7SvxB_NL5cs
youtube.com/watch?v=C2oQhTDuRHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kCcJha9Oc
youtube.com/watch?v=U7_1wMuBRfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on him?
I love him. I've been trying to copy him in building languages and so on but I'm not knowledgeable or creative enough.

Madlibs a foreign language grammar/vocab book

I just want him to be my grandfather and read me stuff.

LotR was a big part of my childhood.
Will always give him the respect he deserves.
Did what he enjoyed, people enjoy what he wrote. It's a win for everyone.

Same here. What your describing is the reason why I decided to go back to university to study classics and a bunch of languages.

>OP creates thread expecting tolkien hate
>Receives nothing but praise
It's not his fault that his books have been associated with plebs

hey, just yesterday, I had a thought. Isn't the story of the ring to a great extent a buddhist-ish allegory?

The burden, the torturous path to get rid of it, the seeing ring, the overwhelming lust for it's power, making you disappear, making you lose yourself, sinister, the seeing eye that pulls you into it's influence, the faithful companion...

I do not say that the intent is to get a reader to consider anything about ego consciously, but a part of it's power leaks from closeness to those themes, right?

you're retarded

Overrated by nerds. Underrated by Veeky Forums snobs.

his books are very deserving of their classic status. lotr does drag a bit at times but he did a great job describing the otherworldliness of elves mr frodo.

Not impossible. I am interested in why would you say so.

Boring as shit

The Hobbit is the best book he wrote tbqh

He's my hero. There are very few creative pursuits of mine which have not been directly influenced by him.

you can draw stupid vague connections between almost anything. this kind of bullshit and its prevalence is why no one respects the humanities anymore

lotr's appeal has nothing to do with subliminal/subconscious buddhist themes.

you are perfectly right on that this overinterpretation you are talking about harms the credibility of the humanities.

I do not think this is the case.

"you're retarded" is not an argument. If you are of different opinion on this thing I do not think there is a way how to go deeper into the issue.

>the boring meme

go play your video games

>I do not think this is the case.

that's why you're retarded

/pol/ mustn't know he's an anarchist yet 'cause they aren't en masse shitposting

Fair enough, than I am retarded. I feel the same nevertheless.

Beautiful, relaxing prose that instills a sense of history and mysticism.

It's like Lovecraft for fantasy, but not shit. Lovecraft makes you think and ponder these evil, faceless, formless entities that lurk at the periphery of our reality.

Tolkien leads you to ponder an archaic, proud, and intensely robust mythos in the far off distance. It feels like you're reading history when you read the Sil. And combining the Sil with LOTR makes the actions of the characters that much more meaningful as you see figures such as Aragorn bringing conclusions to endless years and years of conflict.

He's not well regarded enough, still.

As forceful as an express train.

A man who achieved so much.
>Lotr was just a side thing for him
>He translated a bunch of stuff
>He was a soldier and a teacher
>Children's books,myths
>Laying the foundation for modern fantasy
a genius I love.

>Stop making fun of my walking simulator!

what were you trying to achieve with this?

Tellig you the truth

Tolkein is bloated garbage you pass off as high literature. Nobody, not even his contemporaries liked him. He was made popular by hippies well past the publishing date. He was laughed out of a Nobel nomination for his wretched prose. Stick you nose up your ass before you try to put it up to me

ITT: autism

What the fuck are you doing user?
He layed the bricks down for future writers,and you can't deny that.
And there was actual effort in his works.Creating languages isn't easy user.

Pretty amazing that he managed to do what he did as basically a hobby while holding down a job as a philology professor. Should be an inspiration to everyone with creative aspirations who has a non creative job.

>pic related

>He layed the bricks down for future writers,and you can't deny that.
What a strange meme.

>Boring as shit
No
>The Hobbit is the best book he wrote tbqh
Yes

Study linguistics. Not only will you become less of a grammar nazi, you'll also fall in love with language in general. The more you study common features between existing languages, the easier it will probably become to begin the process creating your own.

First of all, I understand how in new criticism its important to separate the author from the work, but Tolkien has (had) repeated time and again how annoyed he was over people thinking LOTR was allegorical, he was a fan of applicability.

Sensible words. Now, what the fuck is wrong with you? Are you over 25 or something?

It's interesting. Tolkien was not actually a linguist, but rather a philologist back when philology was still a thing in the British academy. During his career he witnessed (and deplored) the growing division between the study of literature and language

>Study linguistics. Not only will you become less of a grammar nazi, you'll also fall in love with language in general.
I've already been reading a lot about linguistics as an amateur. Unfortunately my first go at university was a disaster so I'm afraid to formally study anything without direct practical benefits.

>Tolkien was not actually a linguist
Um... yeah, he was.

Then study it your own time

He was technically a professor of philology, which is a field that combines aspects of linguistics and literary criticism

>being this mad

youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0&index=2&list=FLTEJ5t_IvaODJwECWkyS8_Q

>hes a pretty good rapper

Martin got incinerated.

LoTR is basically a Romantic epic relying heavily on the poetry and mythos of Blake.

Of course it's a fantasy novel so it's primarily just for enjoyment and escapism but if you wanted to look at it through a 'literary' lense this is the correct one. Blake invented the name 'Orc' in Tolkein's context.

holy shit grrm got demolished

Martin got R. R. Rekt.

>I got the prose of a pro, your shit's subpar
>you're a pirate, you even stole my R.R.

Love him.

hey reddit!

>le can't have unironic fun man

hey bitter jaded guy who calls everything reddit!

He wrote the greatest story of my childhood. I just ate those books up

Which books unrelated to LotR would you recommend?

>miopic manatee
Why do I find this so fucking funny?

hello!

i'm /reddit/ and i'm posting on your 4chinz and there's nothing you can do about it hahahaha!

Good post user, way to show those reddit fags we can't have fun ever or we're reddit!

Will people see works like Lotr and Dune as literaary fiction in the future?

They're already sort of on the edge, I think. I certainly hope so, but I think we'll have to wait for this current generation of literary critics to die off.

Anyone that likes those Epic Rap Battle videos should be clubbed to death for the good of our species.

Best children's story coming through

Hello, Reddit

hello goato

hello goato

Hello goato

hello goato

hello goato

can we stop with these images

By tolkien?
The majority of his stuff was in the LotR universe, although he translated Beowulf and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun
He wrote a (unfinished) poem titled The Fall of Arthur

Go listen to music in languages you don't understand, read the lyrics and try to sing along. Once you've found some sounds and word stuctures you like, try getting a phonology together; once you have that babble around trying to stay as close to the limits of the phonology while using all its elements, trying singing along some songs, but in the phonology of your language.

youtube.com/watch?v=8YgmQJkFcJY
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=uImGPVsthzY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBzz0kvWtU
youtube.com/watch?v=IZiV6bmPLfw
youtube.com/watch?v=7SvxB_NL5cs
youtube.com/watch?v=C2oQhTDuRHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kCcJha9Oc

For grammar you'll need to study things more directly; still mistakes are the best things you'll want to have, because half of keeping something true to reality is knowing what's different and what's not.

The meme posters have to have their fun, too.

It's not their fault that they're creatively bankrupt.

did what I wish I could do, more on the linguist side than the authorial side actually, but the linguist side wouldn't be as fun without the exposure he got