Serious question

Serious question
What's the point of reading someone else's ideas when I can go into the world and practice my own and draw my own observations and wisdom?
What's the point of worshiping a book simply because it has the name of a guy who wrote other stuff on it?

I like books
There are more to it than philosophy.

>this is how stupid people think

STEMfag please go. You'll never get it. Go build widgets and watch Doctor Who. The economy needs you, or something.

also you can recognize your own thoughts in the works of others

You don't read to adopt other people's ideas, you read to pit your ideas against other people's ideas. You don't develop your reason by walking down the street thinking you're Aristotle, you do it by challenging them against the ideas of others.

Well.
I came to a place about books to be sold on the concept of books.
Yeah, how about I just take this thread over to /v/ and have them explain the importance of literature to me?

How about you take it to ?

Serious answer:
Reading exposes you to different viewpoints in a way that's difficult to impossible to experience any way else. The communication between an author and a reader is one of trying to get the reader to see through the author's eyes. This can help one grow as a person by better understanding people as well as different times and places. Every other field of study is about data, while literature and other arts are about qualia.

/trash/ is actually just for off-topic threads.

It's a shitty thread overall
>Insulting picture
>Le selfmade man philosophy

Fucking s/cum/s.

All hail /asean/!

Because the other guy might have some good ideas. Easy as that.

If you have ever learned anything from talking to someone, it's the same thing.

He discovered a way to live without an ideology!

Zizek: 0
user: 9001

>books are dumb hurrr durrr
>I'd like to inquire of you gentlemen the importance of literature

Can your ADD-addled brain even maintain a consistent tone? There's one thing literature might teach you, though you don't seem to be a promising student.

If this is the best bait you can come up with then what good are your own observations and "wisdom" kek

If you're an adult and you need to be "sold" on the concept of books then you're a retard full stop. No one gives a shit if you read. In fact I'd prefer it if you didn't so you won't ever shit up the literature gene pool with your retarded thoughts.

user is right. You not reading is probably best for everyone. There's nothing you could gain from it, you're retarded, but you could do your part to shit up the market, but books on Trump, and God forbid wind up writing something. Play your opioids.

You read books for their viewpoints so that you can formulate better versions of your own. If you're a stemfag: Why read research or learn things when you can reach the same conclusions on your own? If you're a /mu/ fag:Why listen to music if the kind you can make is better?

The answer to both of those questions is that you cannot. If you believe in any way, shape, or form that you are better than any literary, scientific, or musical greats, then you are delusional.

You read and learn anything because, without that valuable insight, you would not be better at drawing your own conclusions or conveying the conclusions you come to succinctly.

And because you're trying to get philosophical - do you believe that you do not learn from the people around you, from the things you see, hear, and react to in a similar manner to that of books? The reality is it's all necessary experience for you to grow as a human being.

no one cares idiot

because other peoples ideas are probably more than you'll be able to figure out on your own and you'll be loosing that headstart

>Bitter anti-STEMfags
Pathetic. All of STEM requires being extremely familiar with other people's ideas, observations and wisdom anyway.

Veeky Forums is triggered

It's not like your viewpoint is entirely your own, even without books. You have been influenced by plenty of other things along the way to where you are now. So why limit yourself?

Have you ever had one of those math questions that are too hard to solve but they are so intruiging you cannot help but trying but you realize your trials are worthless so you just decide to check up the solution because "shit I wonder how this is done"

It is like that except there are countless solutions. You are not smart enough to solve these questions yourself.

>>I can go into the world and practice my own and draw my own observations and wisdom?

>implying >implying >implying >implying

If you can't do this you're a mindless sheep

>"le sheeple" spook

>he can't create his own independent thoughts and relies on daddy marx to think for him

Kek

>this person might be serious

my got.

Because you're statistically probably not a born genius so if you want to learn anything about anything you should learn from smart people but you're too dumb to know what smart is so you should start with the people that are reputrd to be smart by the people that are considered the smartest and essentially that can be done through the classics.

Nahh. I've got a Mensa IQ.
I'll be fine

Or you could choose not to and have a better life

Yeah. Understanding other people who are ALREADY within STEM

You are not some perfect person, your views of the world aren't complete and while yes you can learn a lot about yourself from your surroundings you can learn a lot more from challenging your pre conceived notions of the world and see if they are wrong or not. You get to learn about your true self and your true opinion on things.

Also it's fun to read stories a lot of the times. And it makes you seem smart (it doesn't actually make you smart but I would argue it easily broadens your worldview and understanding)

because you're not very smart

Because when you read you get to draw upon the ideas of other people who are likely far more intelligent than you are and learn from their mistakes. "Thinking for yourself" is over rated if you're just going to be an ignoramus about it.

>be idiot teenager
>think I'm a genius for wondering whether Hegelian and Classical Idealism share some similarities
>realize after later reading that I'm a total retard
>be idiot college guy
>think I'm a genius for having this totally unique perspective and idea on a major contemporary issue that I am going to write about as soon as it's done gestating
>realize after later reading that Dreyfus did it in the 60s and again in the 70s and I'm a total retard
>keeps happening

Nescire autem quid antequam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum
>To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child

>thinking that exposing my ruse this far into it will mean anything when I've already feasted upon all this anger and these sweet (you)s
Nahh. I've had my fun
kys

Because people die and the inly way to remember what they believed and thought is by the written word. You don't have to read, no one is making you, but a whole world of possibilities is opened for you when you do. Ideas, topics and things (simply stuff) that you would have a hard time stumbling upon irl is just a page away. Forming your own concepts and models of life and living is inevitable; you're going to do that anyway. The experiences you have and what you learn are the ingredients to your recipe. Take reading as another ingredient to it. You don't need pesto on your pizza, but you won't know if it's good until you do. Hegel might be a complete, utter charlatan, but you don't know until you read him.

Fuck off. This I like going to a Star Wars convention and demanding people explain to you why they like Star Wars. Why the hell are you even there in the first place? If you don't like books, that is fine. But no one owes you an explanation or needs to justify it to you. Just go masturbate to anime or something.