Vintage Contemporaries

Anyone else collect these?
>inb4 muh materialism
I always keep an eye out for these spines and have found many great authors/novels/short story collections doing so. Most are out of print or I wouldn't have found out about them otherwise.

I have a DeLillo and Ellis from them, but not really intentionally.

I have 2 and read 1

They sure seem comfy to hold in your hands, but are they really that amazing? They just seem like an average collection of acclaimed contemporary authors, but I've only read 1 so I dunno.

I've really enjoyed Thomas mcguane and Steve Erikson. Authors that really don't get much attention these days. Barry Hannah's Airships was amazing but he's more well known

Honestly I usually just go for the cheapest. If I see a cooler book cover for a couple cents more I might splurge a little and spent a nickel more.

Might have been a more successful thread if you had just asked Veeky Forums what publisher series they collect, OP.

>nyrb

I'm sure there'd be a lot of that, but there are probably some anons who have niche interests.

i like penguin classics
they always choose great cover art, and the size is always just right. the spines are a bit boring but im not really that concerned with impressing people vis a vis my bookshelf aesthetics.

I took a picture of most of mine stacked up last month, and it does look awful.

Some of my clothbounds.

I've got a bunch of the green ones

I've got a good amount of those too, like the Hasek.

Definitely one of the GOATs even though it's unfinished

they're very ugly spines, op

the almost criminally 80s covers make up for it

What other series do you collect, OP?

Where did you find that version of War and Peace user? In the wild?

In the UK that edition came out like last month, it was pretty easy to find. I think I got it from Amazon. Might be harder to find if you're elsewhere though.

these are really cool. i have the wordsworth classics version of war and peace

>having this piece of shit
>preparing to present the title story in my american short story course
>during the first sentences of my speech the book starts to fucking disintegrate in my hands
>start to sweat
>start to completely lose track of what I'm saying
>jesus christ, stop it, this is okay
>in a matter of seconds the whole book becomes a fucking pile of shitty pages
>can't say anything constructive since all notes were marked between the pages
>try to cover the mess, pages falling on my crotch and on the ground
>jump to weak ass conclusions hoping I can slip by without my coursemates seeing through my pretentious voluntary choice to present the story and failing to say anything decent due to a fucking book malfunction
>prof. clearlyunamused "is that all?"
>maffle "y-yes, sorry, I think that covers it-t"

hey man, screw you and your collection

is this the same series where they released Nietzsche and Kierkegaard?

I have a similar condition of that edition that I lent to a friend. I hope he didn't arrive at the same fate.

Not to my knowledge.

Are your books floating?

the design has aged like milk. I have the carver though and it does its job.