Post your Top 3 Fantasy books!

Other urls found in this thread:

bestfantasybooks.com/comment_list/kingkillerchronicle.php#disqus_thread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

delete this

delete this

mods, please delete my post

mods, please delete my comment

mods, please delete only the first and last posts in this thread .

mods, please delete all the comments except OP post

Mods, please delete every even numbered post in this thread if not a multiple of four.

I agree, please delete this

I agree, please delete this

Hey no, I like this, sci-fi guys btfo

ok so let's start our thread, what's your favorite fantasy book user?

DELET THIS

how do i delete Veeky Forums from my computer

DELETE THIS

DELETE THIS

My favorite fantasy novel is Book of the New Sun.

EPIN MAYMAY

It's the same genre and sf isn't discussed much in the general anyway.
Saged and fuck off.

DELETE THIS

designated deleting threads

delete in it

Though choice, would go for the Hobbit, only because the feels

Memelord here.

You may use this thread for scifi as well, regardless of what the OP is saying.

Peace.

DELETE THIS

tbqh family i didn't read the hobbit yet (although i have it), i just finished Name of the Wind two days ago and kinda hated it

Read it! One of the comfiest book I've ever read, tried to read Name of the Wind, couldn't get pass the first chapters, is it really bad or just not good?

I'll be honest and say that the prose is pretty damn good, other than that.. nothing fucking happens in the book, the characters are dull and pretentious, one of the worst worldbuilding and environment description i have ever read, it's not bad objectively, it's bad IMO.

I can kinda accept if nothing happens in a "short" (short in fantasy is like, 400 pages) book, but that looked large enough, is it entry level tho?

>the prose is pretty damn good
I disagree, the prose is inconsistent, it goes from approachable to incredibly unwieldy. Pat has absolutely no clue how to transition between prose and verse either.

Somebody mentioned in theses threads he said it took him 14 years to write, which doesn't make any sense; in the book his idealogical views don't show any advancement and he hasn't shown any improvement in his writing at all.

I don't read in english, so the book in my language was 780 pages, it's a lot for nothing to happen, you can understand the reason why nothing happens though, Patrick said he wrote the whole story first and only later he cuts it into books, that's not a smart thing to do imo.

Well, sometimes i had to read a line twice because i liked it so much, the book had some poetic descriptions , in some parts you can almost feel how much work he puts into the phrase, so yeah, maybe it's inconsistent, but it's probably the best part of the book.

Take GoT for example, it's the worst prose i have ever read, i cringed so fucking much i just couldn't pass the third book.

>I don't read in english

>Patrick Rothfuss' favourite film is Fight Club

How many books has Patrick Rothfuss written in 8 years? Two?

How the hell does this guy make a living as an author? Why is he famous?

Neither do I, I read books in spanish, sometimes the translation is shorter, sometimes is bigger, dont know why tho.

Because "casuals" needed something to read while waiting fot the new asoaif book.

Isn't it pretty obvious? It's heavily marketed so production companies can have their next Game of Thrones. It's literally perfect for adaptation; slow pacing, endless character dialogue, melodrama, bad decisions and unlikeable characters.

He makes shit ton of con appearances aand probably pockets a good chunk from his "charity"

DELET THIS!!!!!!!!!

Recommend Riyria its good

Is the Nine Princes in Amber cycle good?

I love that series so much. (The second is not as good but I still kinda liked it.)

Absolutely no fucking idea, I just couldn't believe how far this book got into top lists all around the web, but if you take a closer look, and read what's the general opinion about it, you found out that not everyone like it, like here for example, the books is 2nd place after GoT, but look at the comments

bestfantasybooks.com/comment_list/kingkillerchronicle.php#disqus_thread

1\3

I got The Name of the Wind on Audible, and have been listening to it in my car over the past few weeks. But I just can't tolerate it anymore.
This is obviously a first novel. The dialogue is stilted and manufactured. The emotional climaxes are sentimentally crafted. The setting is inadequately described, leaving almost all the details to the reader's imagination or reusing lackluster descriptors within a single sentence. And the characters are paper-thin and one-dimensional : either they're all immediately attracted to Kvothe or they're completely worthless as human beings.
Even Kvothe is shallowly written, either writhing in self-pity on the streets of Tarbean, or scintillatingly brilliant and devoid of self-doubt. The few instances in which Kvothe's true depth of character demonstrates itself show it to be uniquely awful. In Tarbean, he allows another boy to be stripped and beaten, merely so he can keep his own safe spot. Then, he sets all of Pike's possessions on fire - and then he sets Pike himself on fire, an action for which he is unremorseful. And not two or three days later, he is refusing not to pay for his shoes because "it's just the right thing to do" in a manner that Kvothe himself, decades later, finds inexplicable.
It's a jarring combination of confused morality : Kvothe is a Mary Sue except when he's a total psychopath.
This might make for an interesting reading if Rothfuss would bother to explore that in an actual plotline, or attempt to more meticulously characterize his protagonist, give him some motives. If Kvothe was altered by these events, or if he was presented to us as a flawed or conflicted hero, that wouldn't make for such a bad story. But he never changes. Instead, he merely repeats his behaviors at the university, victimized by Ambrose instead of Pike, setting another malefactor on fire and getting away with it, hiding behind medicines instead of on a rooftop, forging shallow relationships based primarily on cleverness and dissembling. And somehow, nothing is ever Kvothe's fault.
Here are some of the other recurrent tropes I picked up on, before I dropped this book :
1. Kvothe meets an older man, who instantly develops an affection for him (I'll teach you everything I know, come work at my farm, come eat food and do some work for my crippled children, come listen to a story, you don't have to pay for the bath because you're so nice, you're so clever I'll give you some extra money back for your book, here have some free shoes, come study in the archives.) Kvothe does something which tarnishes the relationship. He immediately regrets this. Nothing ever comes of this interaction.
2. Kvothe meets the most attractive girl in the whole traveling party / school / etc who is instantly attracted to him, but with whom he is awkward. Nothing ever comes of this interaction.

2/3

3. Kvothe meets an irredeemable bastard, who instantly hates him and tries to ruin his life. Or, similarly, Kvothe is a filthy urchin and gets beat up all the time and all his precious possessions get stolen or broken.
Up to the point at which I stopped listening (when Kvothe is banned from the archives) you could describe the book as such : 3, 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, long series of 3's, 1, Kvothe sets a human being on fire, string of 1's, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 3, cowardice, 1, 1.
In short, it's an extremely adolescent book, focused purely on the devastating cleverness of the protagonist, rather than the actual story. It's not fantasy, it is a fantasy - one that might engross a fourteen-year-old male. It's not literature.
This makes the choice of first-person narrative even more glaringly incorrect. It's bad enough that Kvothe is presented as an unassailable ubermensch. But to listen to him relate all his various triumphs and tragic circumstances as "I did this..." and "I suffered that..." is galling. This is to say nothing of the fact that we are stuck with a single perspective the entire book, which stunts the development of all the supporting cast.

3/3

What's unfortunate is that there are all sorts of interesting avenues the book might explore, but are simply allowed to languish. What is the meaning of the appearance of the scrael? How does Kvothe's father's patron use the troupe he sponsors, and how does he react to the Chandrian's attack? Why, when he is perfectly able to survive in the forests during warmer months, does Kvothe choose to wallow in Tarbean year-round? What do we know of Tarbean, except that it is a massive, filthy, brutal port? What do we know of the countryside? Is it forested? Mountainous? Plains? What is the relationship of the town around the University to the University itself, and how do its residents interact with the Arcanists? What is the nature of the politics between the university masters? Why hasn't Kvothe even thought of contacting Abenthy once he's made it to the university?
Why is it that I seem to want to know more of Rothfuss' world than Rothfuss?
It's as though he isn't even curious about the lands he has created, preferring to pore over the invented genious of his hero rather than to explore what is likely a very fertile world. Incurious authors write very poor books.

DELET THIS!!!!!!!!!

Any fantasy with a lil' girl protagonist?

dead

>How many books has Patrick Rothfuss written in 8 years? Two?
Some people need that long to write a good book.
More often than not a new author will spend 10 years perfecting a novel because no publisher will take a risk on some no name author. Once the book is good enough that it can't fail the author gets forced into a deal requiring a sequel every year. After two years and two books that Authors career has ended.

Besides write speed is no sign of quality. Just look at Sanderson.

>How the hell does this guy make a living as an author? Why is he famous?
No idea how he makes a living.
He's famous because he's quite good and a lot of fantasy authors are publicly backing him.
Though people here can't seem to see through the boasting of an unreliable narrator (or just cant stand that type of person) to the beautiful world and interesting lore beneath.

>if he was presented to us as a flawed or conflicted hero, that wouldn't make for such a bad story
He's presented as an enormously flawed person. The perspective of such a flawed person and my ability to see through it is what makes it so interesting.
>In short, it's an extremely adolescent book
Perspective.
Just because Kvothe thinks every girl he meets is the most attractive in the world and malice directed at him is never his fault doesn't make it so. Read into the events and draw your own conclusions.
>Why is it that I seem to want to know more of Rothfuss' world than Rothfuss?
You want slower pacing. Rothfuss want's a quick retell of events prior to the main story.

This image triggers me in that the water seems to just be magically originating from the top of a hill (there's another one in the background too).

>Though people here can't seem to see through the boasting of an unreliable narrator
My issue with that is that he's never really shown to be an unreliable narrator, and the whole framing device sets him up to be telling the truth about his legend rather than feeding into it.

>He's presented as an enormously flawed person.
Name a flaw. Pride doesn't count because the narrative is almost entirely on his side whenever he's picking a fight or setting fire to his teacher because they deserved it by not bowing down to Kvothe on sight

He's terrible at reading people.
He's narrow minded and naive.
He constantly overestimates his abilities.
He undervalues experience.
He has no control over his emotions.
He never really opens up to anybody and can only express himself through music.

>He's terrible at reading people.
>He's narrow minded and naive.
>He constantly overestimates his abilities.
>He undervalues experience.
These are all essentially facets of his pride. He thinks he's the shit and gets shit on because he's a douche, but that's never how it's presented in the story.
Not to mention that those are all totally overshadowed by the ridiculous shit that he gets away with (e.g. felurian, the whole fucking Adem section, his pretentious music wankery, etc.)

Are we taking about Kvothe or Rothfuss? Because it's pretty clear all those are there because of his inability to write human characters and being a dumb fuck.

How are those Ryria books?

this is the deadest we've ever been..

Best books about necromancers?

apparently we migrated