What was his fucking problem?

What was his fucking problem?

delete this

Deep denial and a mother who enabled it.

Not unlike me..!

Instead of engaging with life, he withdrew and tried to find "the answer" in books. Then, every time he tried to re-engage with life, he was so stunted that it led to crushing humiliation, and he rationalized returning to his books by thinking he just hadn't studied enough yet.

Just a neckbeard from the 60s. What do you think they did before dnd, waifu pillows and wow raiding

And yet he somehow manages to manage an entire jeans factory, use charisma to get a bunch of people to do crazy shit, etc.

Your analysis is oversimplified. He's a conservative/progressive reactionary intellectual jester who doesn't give a shit about the self, but cares about pleasure and condemning what he sees as both decadence as well as violence.

Didn't he want to end war by having our soldiers have sex with the enemy? And he has some weird sexual thing.

Idk really, I read this a very long time ago.

If you wrote the same story today, the wacky adventures of a neckbeard after his mom threw him out would be running an inside call center, McDonald's, and finally a riot at a gay pride parade. It would deal with their love of meditations by Marcus, eating pho, and developing a relationship with a tumblrette HAES activist.

It's a good book but sometimes a cigar is a cigar.

He was condemned by Fortuna, the blind bitty, you oaf.

whoa you guys are cooler than the people on mu

I read the first chapter a week or so ago, and it was alright, but I don't really feel motivated to continue.
Does it get any better or does it remain about the same?

About the same.

haven't read a book yet but your description of events seems way inferior to what the other user is portraying, perhaps because of the great pacifier that is internet.

most tumblrettes can hope for is a patreon account lasting for a year or so, speech at united nations and irrelevant stuff like that.

The book is a farce, like a modern candide. The previous poster sounds like a college kid overanalyzing, making Ignatius out to be some sort of hero for our time instead of a fat loser in a comedy

>last week
>find a new copy of A Confederacy of Dunces in the kitchen
>hmm.. this is odd, I think to myself
>I walk with it into the living room and my mother is on the sofa, sobbing
>"it's too real.. It's too real", she whimpers

It was for her book club but she could only make it through about 20% because it hit too close to home. Ho hum, she overreacts all the time.

>mfw

memeing aside, this actually happened.

>What was his fucking problem?
That he was right about everything.

oh, i misread it and thought he gets control of the army or something. i only read first 20ish pages and it was great, have to get back to it.

Go on a picaresque romp

>people on Veeky Forums mistaking Ignatius for a wise hero
Oh i am laffin

If you get thrown out of your house and get a hilarious job, write it down and then kill yourself.

Worked for the author.

What obscure classical tract do you carry around all the time to justify your antisocial aspy behaviour

Rejecting the world as a defense mechanism or something idk

The book is unbelievably prescient. I can't believe how perfect Ignatius is for our age, he even screams DEGENERATE at everyone

That's probably true in the case of many people, particularly on Veeky Forums, but it doesn't describe Ignatius very well. He barely reads books in the novel, only comics and Boethius. Most of the time he watches cartoons or writes his manifesto. He's an example of the changing culture of the US in the 1950s / 60s, when prosperity and mainstream youth culture exploded in a way that leaves Ignatius both pleased (gorging on hot dogs, watching MTV-tier shows, listening to Frankie Valli etc) and horrified by the degeneracy, loosening of morals and loss of traditional morality (due to his Puritan disposition or at least his conservatism).

Toole's narrative line is broad insistent, never pared down to an ironic skeleton as, supremely, in Waugh. Sometimes it even becomes flat and clumsy. A nightclub hostess is leadenly described as 'a depressed blonde who seemed connected with the bar in some capacity' -- a phrase which Waugh would have been physically incapable of penning. Yet Toole has none of the lavish flights of fancy of Donleavy. The rant he puts on Reilly's lips is never lyrical and more often than not it's just sour. Nor do his construction and pacing have any of the craftsmanship of, say Malcolm Bradbury or Peter de Vries. At a slighter level, I have seen Toole's name linked with Tom Sharpe's. But read a chapter of the former and follow it with a chapter of Wilt or Riotous Assembly. The comparison is painful. Where Toole can be seen pulling strings to involve us in anarchy, Sharpe is effortlessly manic. His ferocious black humour which can even get you laughing at South African policemen is not to be compared with Toole's relentless interest in his hero's pylorus and attendant digestive problems -- a joke which palls very early on. No, A Confederacy is prentice work. It may have been that Toole's talent would have developed much further, though the fact is that comic novelists of real genius tend to arrive fully fledged, as did the authors of Tristram Shandy, Decline and Fall, Lucky Jim. (Nor, pace Swift and Toole, do the dunces unite against them. No one is more heartily welcome than an originally funny writer.) Anyway, Toole's suicide arrests any such speculation. Death, as someone said, is that after which nothing is of interest.

>""Degenerate" (entartet), was a fashionable term in fin-de-siecle Vienna that was used in virtually all areas of life. It means "strayed from one's kind" or "alienated from one's kind" and referred to behaviour "inimical to one's nature." When women dared demand better education or even the right to vote, this was called "a degenerate women's emancipation fit," inasmuch as such desires were not n agreement with the role of women as nature allegedly intended. Viennese modernism's loose morals were called "moral degenerateness," and the art of Expressionism berated as "degenerate". [...] We can make out all these phrases in the outpourings o Hitler the politician as well. He used the term "degenerate" frequently in quite different contexts, for example, in 1941 at table in connection with bad nutrition; he also said, "A toad is a degenerate frog"; and finally, he called hunters "degenerate farmers." In reference to art, he also used the term "degenerate" in the sense of primitive-backward and of being too unconnected with the people"
p.82 / 85

"Manic" humour is usually shit-tier and very patronizing IMO. It's just banana slips and pie fights.

Somebody didn't get it. The way everything is worded in Confederacy is meant to reflect how Ignatius thinks.

You've clearly never read Tom Sharpe. His novels are subtle and witty. Toole, on the other hand, is definitely shit-tier "banana slips and pie fights".

None of what was written contradicts that proposition.

>His novels are subtle and witty

Post an excerpt or scram, kid.

He's Veeky Forums decades before the internet even existed.

and Myrna is tumblr

The world resented him because he made TOO much sense.

>Didn't he want to end war by having our soldiers have sex with the enemy? And he has some weird sexual thing.

He thought he could show-up his SJW pseudo-ex-girlfriend by convincing homosexuals to take over the military.

Ho-hum indeed.

Kyle Broflovski - Da fuck?!

dose she hide her booze in the oven only to have it ruined when her oafish son preheats the oven without looking inside to heat up his frozen pizza :D

Ignatius wasn't the one with the problem. The whole fucking world was the one with the problem. Ignatius and Jones and that fucking bird were the only people with a clue.

A central theme of the book was that Ignatius was one of the few people who meant what he said.

Everyone else was enamored with ideas. Ignatius sought to make those ideas a reality and was seen as a freak. It's funny because Ignatius is seen as delusional, someone absorbed in the theoretical, but he pushed forward with his plans once given a green light. Everyone else was 'active' in the sense of daily movement, but it amounted to aimlessly floating around and trying their best to get a leg up in even the most petty ways. Once it came time for actual change, they quickly backed out.

Its been a while since I read it and I am confused about the whole parrot stripclub thing which seemed to be the climax. What was going on with the club and what did Ignatius end up doing to it?

He seemed to hypocritical in my view to justify that critique

The Hermetic Corpus by Hermes Trismegistus

She drinks a bottel of wine a night, red, second cheapest. Pretty degenerate desu

Lana was selling high school girl pics, Mancuso followed Ignatius to the Night of Joy and Lana offered to sell Mancuso a photo after Ignatius almost gets hit by a bus so Mancuso arrests Lana