/sffg/ Sci Fi & Fantasy General

DANKEST MEME Edition

What's your favorite book that is a cheap knock off of another series?

Previously: → #

>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

Honorary bad anime fedora edition

Other urls found in this thread:

ask.fm/kastelpls/best
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

#
Recommend Riyria its good

Old Man's War is a good knock off of Starship Troopers

Also reminder authors with Terry in their name are shit, do not read.

Hellequin chronicles is my favorite Dresden knockoff

best jesters in sff? PLEASE RESPOND

The Mule.

What is the best portrayal of pirates in sff? Who are the best pirate characters?

So when is somebody gonna make the essential little-girl /sffg/ chart?

Some user will need to research it. We just don't have enough material.

Ok boys, which fantasy book has the saddest ending?

>wonderloli and toph will never force you to

LOTR

The New Testament

so far for me it was Deadhouse Gates.

Shit, I'm reading it right now!

Childhood's End probably

can someone upload the FOR WOMYN BY WOMYN chart for me? there were other tiers as well but I don't remember what they were.

The Slynx by Tatyana Tolstaya was really great. Anyone else read it? What did you think?

Why? If there are no women on the internet then how will the women ever read the posted chart?

i am the one who will read the chart and *unsheaths helmet* I AM NO WOMAN.

The witcher the last wish

Tips katana

>tfw no qt /sff/ gf to use ur face as a comfy chair during reading sessions

Wheel of Time. It's incredibly sad how a series can start off so strongly for the first quarter of the series and then go to utter shit so quickly and never recover. Then the author dies and the replacement author does an even worse job and shits the bed even more.

Figure this is probably the safest place to ask, but are there any good alternate history novels? I love history and have reads ton of historical fiction, some of which takes a lot of liberties and is basically what I guess would be called historical fantasy, like Giles Kristian's Raven novels which are basically Viking fantasy. Never read any alternate history before and I'm curious what's good. The Temeraire series sounded intersting, but anything with a heavy focus on talking dragons makes me instantly wary of it's quality.

Reminder that ISLAND is out and that it's a masterpiece of sci-fi.

For now in Japanese only (why don't you know it), but there are indications it might get translated later in the future.

Here you can view ISLAND's heroines. The work is all-ages, so you won't be able to enjoy sex scenes with them, nonetheless the work contains some fanservice complementing its serious story.

Also note that the author's previous work, Himawari -Pebble in the Sky-, has an English release confirmed.

It looks like it would be good.

It looks like protagonist is in the buff.

>weeb attempts to into literary analysis

Wonder what will happen when a weeb reads an actual book

That poor land mammal would die from a heart attack. Or he'll make awkward deviant artwork.

Scroll down and you can see him talk about various books.
ask.fm/kastelpls/best

You're just way too stuck in your pointless weeb - nonweeb divide. I'd say something like "I guess it makes you feel better about yourself or something", but that would be pointless porsonal attack.

OH GOD NO. I had forgotten about the anime versions of everything...

Is this satire?

>You're just way too stuck in your pointless weeb - nonweeb divide.
The issue isn't that people like weebshit, it's that they can't separate their personal feelings from the reality of the works that they define themselves by and act like anime is the highest form of art.
It's not anime that's shit it's the fanbase.

Things here are same as usual. Dudley's diet isn't going too well. My aunt found him smuggling doughnuts into his room yesterday. They told him they'd have to cut his pocket money if he keeps doing it, so he got really angry ad chucked his Playstation out of the window.

I think it was August of 1994 when Harry wrote this letter to Sirius but Playstation was introduced to the world in December of 1994.

I really had a problem with this.

You are presuming way too much and are appliying sweeping generalizations to individuals. You are right that some people are genuine weeaboos in the way you describe and that they are cringeworthy, but that not revelant in this specific case.

When you check the guy's posts of Ask.fm for example , you see he applies high standards to everything.

thanks, boss. none of them are at my local library, so i have to go to THAT book store. you know the one.

I can already smell the mothballs.

Thanks for the laugh man.

I've finished reading Ringworld recently. Are the sequels any good? If not, what does Veeky Forums reccomends as my next Larry Niven book?

>Deadhouse Gates
I thought the ending was just hyping things up for the future.
ALL those crows gotta mean the kid is going to be like, super powerful, right?

So is this < or > the infinity series?

They're okay I guess. If you don't mind the bizarre sodomy (or whatever) fixation.

Is this any good?

No

I enjoyed it.

it's not Ulysses though so everyone will tell you it's shit

Great. I thought something was wrong with me since it got great reviews nearly everywhere and I felt asleep four times trying to read it.

*fell

Is there a book you constantly think about even if its been awhile since you read it?

pic related and BotNS really resonated with me, it's like Wolfe taps into this part of your imagination and makes you think in a way you didn't know you could

That sounds so pretentious and also even corny I know, but I don't know how to explain it.

i find this chart to be very questionable but i have to work in the morning so i can't make one right now

here are some recs:
Hild - Nicola Griffith, historical
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern, fantasy
Ceremony - Leslie Marmon Silko, magical realism
Dragonflight - Anne McCaffrey
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke, Napoleonic era fantasy
Thomas the Rhymer - Ellen Kushner, fantasy
Waking the Moon - Elizabeth Hand, modern fantasy
The Eight - Katherine Neville, modern and historical magic-ish thriller

Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper, YA fantasy, first of five (although the best book is The Grey King, book 4, which won the Newberry)
Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle, YA fantasy
Howl's Moving Castle - Dianna Wynne Jones, YA, the movie was based on it
Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K Le Guin, YA fantasy

The Female Man - Joanna Russ, sf
Synners - Pat Cadigan, late cyberpunk
Beggars in Spain - Nancy Kress, sf
China Mountain Zhang - Maureen F McHugh, sf slice of life
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis, time travel to the Middle Ages

i'm sure i'm forgetting some and i'm remiss in reading a bunch of notable female authors in the field

>i find this chart to be very questionable
That's because it's more a categorization than a recommendation.

I just finished Jordan's Wheel of Time after blitzing through the last three books in as many days. Where do I go from here? Any recs?

opinions?

I prefer Sanderson.

someone needs to revise the chart with these recommendations. im pretty sure the chart was made solely to make female authors look like shit

Tiptree and Butler lad. Also Justina Robson and Steph Swainston. Pic related is really good and as a /sffg/ bonus contains gay, rape, and incest, although not that much

It's garbage.
Didn't expect it to be, but it was offensively bad.
The author genuinely wrote for idiots and hence has that god awful exposition all around the place.

Book of the New Sun all the time my nikka.
Also Brothers Karamazov, Hilaire Belloc stuff, Hayek, Aquinas, Endo... I guess it changes up as time goes on, but New Sun has been a bit of an obsession for almost 4 years now.

>Bibliotik freeload torrents are out
>One of the top uploaders picked Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear and Mistborn

Good choices imo

CE's ending is just bittersweet. Yeah it's about the end of human civilization, but the whole premise of the book is that civilization is just a precursor for a greater purpose. Hence the name of the book. It's only really sad for the one guy who gets left out.

The God Emperor Of Dune.
Fuarrkk I'm currently reading this, Crown Of Swords at the moment. I hate the Rand, Aviendha, Elayne and Min love poly triangle honestly. One of the main things that get under my skin, feels extremely superficial and rushed.

But the something greater feels shitty and nothing of value is gained while everything is lost

How is joining with an omnipotent universal intelligence for all eternity nothing of value?

reminder that r scott bakker is the most inteligent fantasy wtiter of this generation

I'm at the beginning of book 2 and already bored out of my fucking mind. Why is everything so cliché? Why is Rand such a little bitch?

Any fantasy with a little girl protagonist?

>omnipotent
>universal
Fuck off already, you post it every 10 minutes in 3 threads in a row and you got your answers the last time.

It seems like his intelligence is all STEM.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things

>That feel when Windows of Winter is releasing THIS MONTH

What is that? A Christmas theme for an operating system?

I'm sure you'd handle finding out you're going to go insane and then die in a fistfight with satan

His training was in Philosophy.

But yes, you read him for the ideas not the prose quality.

A song of ice and fire novel by george rr martin

>the winds of never
>this month

Top kek m8

Yeah it's coming out this month.
Trust me on this one

No but I think I'd at least be able to say fuck destiny, nothing is preordained, instead he just seems to take it lying down.

Proof or I call bullshit.

Recommend me the best female author and tell me why she's better than Sanderson
Protip:She's not

Ayn Rand

That diary of that jewish whore from WW2 or something

A burlap sack full of donkey dicks writes better than Sanderson.

I've read Anne Frank, it's quite shit.
It's just a diary written by an average girl, there's nothing good about the writing, the prose etc. etc.
A wikipedia page is a better read.

>Ayn Rand
I bet you're voting for Gary Johnson this election.
Her writing is so longwinded, you could cut 2/3rd of all her books and you miss nothing.

So?
I never said he was good, merely better.

he was told legends of the dragon destroying the world and killing everyone he ever knew since he was a kid, and he just found out that he's LTT's reincarnation.

And it's a verifiable fact in the WOT universe that everything is preordained. But he does go off the reservation in the later books.

She was a blind deaf mute how could you not like what she wrote wtf

Hope Mirrlees was a better writer than Sanderson.

>Speaking for myself, the science fiction I admire most could be categorised as a mixture of literary postmodernism, subjective hyperrealism, advanced and/or experimental structure bound together with speculative elements. I am the kind of reader and writer who believes that the old kind of space fiction – intergalactic empires and people setting off in rockets to conquer the stars with no more than a tangential connection to lived or indeed scientific reality – is usually not worth bothering with in critical terms, that the core SF tropes are only interesting as literature if they are subverted to such an extent as to make something entirely different. I happen to believe that when placed next to the linguistic and metaphysical glory that is M. John Harrison’s Kefahuchi Tract trilogy, something like Ann Leckie’s Imperial Radch trilogy, though competently executed and entertaining on its own terms is revealed starkly for what it is: linguistically unspectacular, thematically redundant and completely lacking in literary irony.

>When Edward James says in his paper that he considers Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand to be one of the greatest works of science fiction so far written, I would agree with him heartily. When he insists that Delany’s work would be ‘largely impenetrable to outsiders’ – outsiders who have not been ‘initiated’ into the shorthand, language and conceptual frameworks of science fiction, I would beg to differ. For me, Delany is not just a great science fiction writer, he is a great writer full stop, and SIMPLGOS would be no more difficult for the general reader than any other work of modernist or postmodernist literature. It is – like Woolf or Beckett or Foster Wallace – simply a text that requires a modicum of concentration. Truly great science fiction – that is, science fiction that pays attention to itself in terms of literary values – needs no special pleading. Indeed I would go a lot further than this. I would suggest that if a work of science fiction cannot stand next to works drawn from the mainstream and hold its own in terms of literary values, we need to be asking ourselves if it is truly great.

What did she mean by this?

Nobody cares about these old shit writers.
She isn't better, she's just archaic

>Nobody cares about these old shit writers
HERE WE GO AGAIN

40 years isn't archaic you mongoloid

Lud-inthemist is 90 years old.

It is archaic.

She means, basically, that she's better than you.

You gonna let dat bitch get away with this, user?

Can we discuss the most autistic man in horror studies here

>go off the reservation

What does this mean? Not a native speaker.

You are too stupid to breathe.

And yet I do and you are wrong.