Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

thestar.com/entertainment/2016/05/02/elisabeth-moss-to-play-lead-role-in-margaret-atwoods-handmaids-tale.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It has 4 stars on goodreads so I say go for it. Can't do much wrong.

Prescient about the growing gender and religious divide
Didn't really touch on the growing class divide iir, but that's long been a foregone conclusion for some time now
Missed the growing racial divide

it's a feminist book. written by a woman. I wonder why it has 4 stars on goodovaries

I am about a sixth of the way through. It is interesting but I don't think the book is meant for me, a male.

ha ha! well meme'd old bean!

I enjoyed it. Pretty relevant for the political climate, even today.

She's a babe.

Feminine literaries are chic.

Perhaps most provocative because while the means of gender divide seem archaic and medieval, the idea of any sort of gender division is not. The last chapter is an incredibly biting commentary on how we can see the persecution of women throughout history yet feel no impetus to actively right such wrongs.

>Canadian woman prone to hysterics watches Fox News twice
>Writes a novel
It's on the same level as Chick tracts and the Turner Diaries.

Fuck.

thestar.com/entertainment/2016/05/02/elisabeth-moss-to-play-lead-role-in-margaret-atwoods-handmaids-tale.html

Patrician-core, here we come.

OP here. I saw this listed under the best scifi and fantasy so I figured why not. I'm interested to see where the story goes.

>such wrongs
nice spook

Oryx and Crake and its sequels are better

Garbage. It's basically a poorly written feminist sex slave fantasy.

My ex gave me this. Didn't read it though. She broke up with me, and I forgot about it. When I moved, I found it behind some other books on my shelve. I was without income and needed money. She gave me one other book: Kafka on the Shore. Had tried to sell that before. Couldn't. Used books guy told me it was trash. Everyone wanted to sell it, none would buy. I needed money though. Threw some other books in a bag and went to used book store bro. He looks through my bag. Sometimes he nods with approval. Sometimes he grins and give me a look that says "You tricky cunt". Other times he just throw a book away without even thinking. When he grab The Handmaid's Tale he pauses. Gives me a long look. Then he slowly puts it in the pile of books he's buying. Then he grins and tell me "Now you go around town bragging about actually managing to sell this trash - as long as you don't tell it was I who bought it". He gives me some 2$ for it. Some months later I return to his shop. Looking for some Strindberg in Swedish. No Strindberg. Something on a shelve catches my eye. A book with a badly drawn picture of a wall. Black and red at the bottom. It's Margaret Atwood. The copy I sold. It has no price in it. It just lies there, collecting dust. Used book bro doesn't care. It will just lie there. Until the end of book-bros life.

What Strindberg were you looking for?

Röda Rummet. Found it later at another book-bro. He looked for half an hour. It's good but hard to read when swedish isn't your native language.

Indeed. I know the struggle of non-native Swedish reading. If you don't mind my asking what, caused you to want to learn Swedish? I ended up studying it in college and actually ended up working pretty intimately with A Dreamplay, by Strindberg and eventually writing my thesis on it. It's always a bit exciting to see him pop up on random lit threads

>"He wanted me to play Scrabble with him, and kiss him as if I meant it. This is one of the most bizarre things that's happened to me, ever."

Genuinely, abominably shit prose.

I a native Dane so Swedish should be possible for me to read. Some months ago, it dawned on me that I was unable to grasp Swedish as a language. The fact that my English and German was far batter than my sisterlanguage made me sad. So I decided to do something about it, and I have always wanted to read Strindberg, and since I also believe in reading in the native language and not translations, my goal became clear.
I became more interested after my student-society arranged a lecture on the occultism in the works of Strindberg with Henrik Johnson form my local university. He spoke manly about the shift in Strinbergs works after his experiments with alchemy in Paris, but worked this shift into the general social and cultural context of the times.
Where did you study Swedish? It always surprise me when people want to learn any of the Scandinavian languages'

That sounds like a very interesting lecture. Occultism is a massive part of Strindberg's later plays, and I really do think he was a pretty revolutionary writer for his time. My thesis was centered on how A Dreamplay more or less captures a lot of thematics that would grow in popularity(Freud was working on his book on dream theory at the same time) as well as acting as turn from theater into cinema. The later portion was more in relation to Strindberg's use of cameras and technology.

At any rate, I studied at the University of Washington over on the west coast of the U.S. I have a close Swedish friend and wanted to study foreign language so it worked out well. I haven't really tried reading much danish, though I do have some Ibsen in Norwegian that I don't find too hard to read. I'm a bit out of practice right now though and haven't been keeping my studies up after graduating.

>the persecution of women throughout history yet feel no impetus to actively right such wrongs
I doubt they went through anything worse than having to fight and die

>Margaret

holy shit, I think this is Margaret Atwood pretending to be a Swedish man

>book cover
>Thoughts?
I think you should fuck off with your shitty thread.

Why wouldn't you post the book cover of the book being discussed?

Being gang raped by those that fought and didn't die, for one.

You responded exactly 1000 replies after

How do you know Margaret Atwood isn't a swedish man pretending to be dumb bitch?