Literature written in prison

Literature written in prison.

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

My prime of youth is but a frost of cares,
My feast of joy is but a dish of paine,
My Crop of corne is but a field of tares,
And al my good is but vaine hope of gaine.
The day is past, and yet I saw no sunne,
And now I live, and now my life is done.

My tale was heard, and yet it was not told,
My fruite is falne, & yet my leaves are greene:
My youth is spent, and yet I am not old,
I saw the world, and yet I was not seene.
My thred is cut, and yet it is not spunne,

I sought my death, and found it in my wombe,
I lookt for life, and saw it was a shade:
I trod the earth, and knew it was my Tombe,
And now I die, and now I was but made.
My glasse is full, and now my glasse is runne,

Le Morte d'Arthur

Mallory had quite an interesting albeit only loosely chronicled life. He probably wrote Arthur in prison for a string of robberies, rapes, break-ins, theft, extortions etc. AFTER he was a member of parliament.

Lover of the Ursa Major by Sergiusz Piasecki

Cervantes, Wilde, Genet

For my Legionnaires -Codrenau

parts of The Cantos of Ezra Pound

Bertrand Russell loved prison, confirmed NEET

Fucking bitch, where's Don Quixote? The Tractatus was written when Wittgenstein was a POW, so it also counts.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison

The draft of Being and Nothingness

Wtf why was bertie russell in jail?

He was in jail a few times I think. Spent a lot of time protesting. I believe he was jailed once when we has 80+

Fpbp

OP here, I'm starting that particular volume, which reminded me of this subject.

Russell was actively involved in pacifism during WWI, attending protests and disseminating antiwar literature. Since WWI was srs bsns, after all, and also because British society still had a set of stones on century ago, the state refused to tolerate Russell's actions, and had him locked up for six months.

I am not ashamed to admit that I was unaware of Don Quixote (being writtenin in prison) prior to making this thread. Although I hate looking at modern prisons on television (I always hate the MSNBC weekend shows and flick past them), prison seems to be a fertile ground for the creation of important/worthwhile lit. There's suffering, solitude, and you get left alone for long periods of time.

Solzhenitsyn and Dostoevsky suddenly come to mind, but I don't know that either one /actually wrote anything while actually imprisoned/, as opposed to using the life experience in work once free.

My diary desu.

what'd ja do

The Count of Monte Christo

Island of Lonely Men
by José León Sánchez

Infinite Jest was written while the author had depression, a prison of the mind more terrifying than any federal penitentiary.

The Pilgrim's Progress

>The Tractatus was written when Wittgenstein was a POW, so it also counts.
Well, some of it. He was treated extremely well during his time as a PoW. Was visited by fucking Russel multiple times.

Ezra Pound

If you knew anything about the meme you are propagating you would know he didnt write when depressed, he would just watch tv and eat junk food.

shitposting without a license

This counts

Can only think of political books, but since Hitler is in the OP I guess they fit

Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver
Woodstock Nation by Abbie Hoffman
We are Everywhere by Jerry Rubin

I just bought an old book of short stories by Dosto, I think "The Peasant Marey" was written in prison, maybe some others.

Practically everything by the Marquis de Sade.

Strange that De Profundis haven't been mentioned.