>current feel

>the castle, interpretation of dreams, odyssey
>feeling sick and alone all day every day

>ulysses
>spiritually constipated and sexually starved

>The Pit, Juan Carlos Onetti
>Suicide

Brothers K.

I am beyond feel and into an intellectual state of pure thought, i.e. stasis.

I confess this achievement does make my body hum, tho.

>cosmopolis
>mild melancholia, detachment

>Blake's Vala, or The Four Zoas
>current mood: 'yea, I know That I have sinn'd, & that my Emanations are become harlots'

also Christoph Ransmayr's The Dog King which is really good but hard to tell any feels bc I only read it when Im stimmed out of my mind on the bus

Milkbottle H
Complete and utter apathy

>L'Etranger
>It's kind of hot out today

>The Freud Reader
>Utter disgust at humanity

same

How are you liking Interpretation of Dreams?

How do you achieve this?

>The Lusiads
>anxious and confused

I just slugged through the 70 pages of obsolete dream theory at the beginning and barely gotten into the real thing, just past irmas injection, so I can't say much, but I like it.

>How do you achieve this?

Hard work. Years, decades of it. Study, I mean, of course. As well as practice--through failures and successes.

Pushing yourself past your limits, basically. Achieving total failure is how I achieved that. Nothing can stop me now because I don't care anymore (about worrying about my limitations--there is no pain there anymore).

I see. Does it bother you that you feel this way?

One of the good things about Freud is that he establishes solid ground before he introduces his theories.

No, I feel rewarded.

>Ghost Wars, by Steve Coll (deeply impressive; a must-read for sure)
>The metaphysical equivalent of having forgotten the word you were about to say, stretched over the last 2-3 years

Well, that is nice.

>Frank O'Hara - Lunch Poems

>I'm in love.

>Stories from life - Orison Swett Marden
>feeling like I'll never amount to anything
I keep reading books on business. but it goes nowhere. I only just read them...

>A little life
>picked it up on a whim and despite the shitty ass prose can feel the depression sinking mercilessly into me, articulate visions of what my life in 20 years will be
can't say I regret it

>Petrarch's Canzoniere
>tfw no gf

>Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention from Fire to Freud
>loneliness, uncertainty, ambition

>Common Sense, Rights of Man, and other essential writings

>amazed the world has become so fucked, frustrated

>Heart of Darkness, Proust, Thomas Mann's Der Zauberberg

>Conrad is a fraud.

>The Complete Poems: Emily Dickinson
>Finally enjoying poetry

J R
optimistic

>The Complete Stories of Franz Kafka
>Tossed around

Mon Faust, Paul Valery

Feeling uneventfully tired.

>Russia: A History by Gregory Freeze and the Dramatic Symphony by Andrei Bely
>Feeling slightly anxious, lonely, and held back.

>At Night We Walk in Circles
>Reflexive & Anxious about term papers

With Billie Holiday? :^)

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
The Iliad

bored, tbqhwyg

Coppola did it 100% better, honestly.

>paradise lost
>god is a dick

checked

>The Picture Of Dorian Gray
>Lonely

>V.
>inanimate

>For Whom the Bell Tolls
>I want to sit down and finish reading it but the semester is fucking me in the ass

V. gives comfyness

>1Q84
>なんだこれ~

The Pale King does a good job of romanticizing white collar work when it gets around to it.

>Don Quixote.
>Dear god I'm an idiot.

please pick my feel for me for when I'm finally done with this paper, Veeky Forums. I'm reading Blakes The Four Zoa's, Christoph Ransmayr's The Dog King, (I know I already posted about these, I apologize) and War & Peace (not the whole thing I don't think, I've had a blast reading Part IV, and then Part II and Part III but haven't decided where to go next. "No one mentioned 'Buonaparte', the Corsican upstart and Antichrist...' was a rad first line for the book)

I love em all but I always hesitate so long after I roll the spliff trying to pick which

PHP for beginner. Job interview tomorrow.

>Ulysses and gravity's rainbow
>incapable of meaningful relationships despite supposedly being in one, wonder when she will notice. I think she is

>just finished Peace by Gene Wolfe
>experiencing infinite confusing feels as I always do when I read his shit

Suttree

I really liked Blood Meridian,but this is just ok. It goes from being pretty good to really boring and back pretty frequently. Alot of the southern poverty stuff hits almost too close to home in a way that makes it feel like just a condensed version of all the unpleasant and banal things I have to deal with on a daily basis.

>almost done with The Sea-Wolf by Jack London
>realizing everything my gf told me was true and that I need to have faith in myself and my abilities. I need to be more like Wolf Larsen and less like Thomas Mugridge

>more than halfway through catch-22
>that feel when the humor is growing tiresome and feels almost formulaic

..same

>notes from underground, dvstvyvsky
>damn this nigga needs eastern philosophy asap

>the sound and the fury
>confusion

>Anna Karenina
>hunger

Laura dies

Is this a reference to something? I've listened to only one compilation of Bille...

>At The Mountains of Madness
>tfw can't decide what to read next

ive also read it. i just read it every night before bed for a few months. it also helps understanding dostoevsky's relationship to faith beforehand.

SAME lol. which translation?

jesus how can you do both at the same time.
I'm 100 pgs in to Ulysses, gonna keep slogging. But you reminded me to check out GR, just bought it. thanks user.

>The Train Was on Time
>Oh sweet nuthing....

Last 100 pages are better than the rest. I found it a chore, but also comfy at times

I don't get it. Why do you people think you're idiots?

I didn't even get why Conrad thought a bunch of Africans making noises in the dark was the most degraded event in human history. Like, nigga, just stop listening and whining about the infinite savagery and darkness.

>studies in pessimism, conspiracy against the human race, the trouble with being born

>fuck this gay earth

>Plutarch's Essays
>Looking forward to a beer

Careful with that edge, Eugene.

Terry Gilliams memoir

Sorta meh

>meh

What's on your mind user?

Lighten up, Francis.

>Pride and Prejudice
>tfw my Tulpa's being cold and distant

>Metaphysics
>Reading the classics is tedious because you already know the more accurate modern parallels to these arguments.

The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Contentment as it encourages me to think about how I used to think as a child.

>Musashi
>motivated

>Iliad and The Upanishads
>an illness of the soul, and I need touch someone

>Roadside Picnic
>I just want to watch Stalker instead

>Tonio Kroger, Moby Dick
>pure contentment
How hard is Peace? And is it better as an intro to Wolfe before I tackle New Sun, or should I start somewhere else?
This happened to me as well. In the last 100 pages or so the book feels kind of meaningful again. Just wait till all the legitimately disturbing shit happens ;)
Beautiful novel, just finished it. I remember tearing up a bit at the end of Part I, he captured the innocence of childhood so well.

>Stoner
>Blazed

Just finished A Tale of Two cities.

I am left feeling incredibly conflicted. I am both happy and very sad, and I hate almost all of the people (not characters, but people in general) present in the story.

This year I've read all (or most) of Blake, Wordsworth and Dickinson.

I am thoroughly convinced that poetry in the 19th century was the absolute pinnacle of the art form, and that it will only continue to decline into the future.

>LotR and Metaphysical poets
>want to go live in New England and hike in the trees, also, I want to settle down with a nice anglo wife

i'd only read parts of Byron and a few of Shakespeare's sonnets before but i took the Dickinson out of the library yesterday and its unreal, i've never thought much of poetry and i'm still probably reading it incorrectly and badly but i can barely put it down i've read almost 200 of the poems already.
I was thinking i might try TS Eliot after but if you recc Blake i may do that instead.

>I am thoroughly convinced that poetry in the 19th century was the absolute pinnacle of the art form
17th for my money, but 19th is definitely a very worthy second place. Have you also been reading the other British Romantics? One of the things that makes them so fun to study is the way they organise into groups. Wordsworth and Coleridge; Byron and Percy Shelley; Percy Shelley and Mary Shelley (Mary herself being the daughter of William Godwin & Mary Wollstonecraft, the 'founders' of anarchism and feminism respectively). Thomas de Quincey was an obsessive stalker of Wordsworth, even moving in close to where he lived and pestering him on a daily basis. Byron was the first celebrity in the modern sense of the word, and probably the poet in history who had the most popular esteem during his own time. Oh, and he absolutely despised Keats -- look up what he has to say about him in his letters. Blake was the outsider, old and weird, a manual labourer with no formal education, ignored during his lifetime, and arguably still underappreciated by most even today.

>it will only continue to decline into the future.
Agreed.

>Crime and punished
>tfw you want to be like Razumhikin but deep down you relate more to Raskolnikov

Blake's poetry fits perfectly into poetic conventions, so you may find the rigidity of the rhyme and meter a little jarring after reading Dickson, as this kind of style was falling out of fashion by her time.

But there are still layers upon layers of meaning, presenting through some achingly beautiful imagery.

He is poetry tends to center around childhood and what we lose/gain as we grow older, which tends to add an extra emotional punch if you are ever the type to reminisce about youth.

In all honesty though, I would recommend Wordsworth over Blake, if you loved Dickinson. But then, 2bh, you should just read them all, including TS Eliot .

>Discourses on Livy
>bored out of my god damn mind, can't sit still, can't focus, don't give a shit about these fucking books anymore. Not fucking applicable to daily life anyway. Fuck. Fuck my fucking too hot to eat corndog. Fucking thing is too hot and the plate was too god damn hot when I pulled it out of the microwave and I burned my finger tips. My fucking nose won't stop running or being congested. I can't fucking sleep. It's 5 am. God damnit why. I feel like I need to run. Stupid nigger employer thinks it's cool to have me close the store and then open it 8 hours later on the same god damn night. Fucking cunt. Stupid fucking cunt. I wish I had bullets that put me to sleep for eternity. Then I'd just Buddha it and reach enlightenment

>Have you also been reading the other British Romantics?

In a scattered sort of way, yes. After I finish the next few books in my backlog I will return to poetry and knock out a few more Romantic poets in full. Poetry just takes such a long time to read, if you want to do it properly, compared to prose, so I like to bounce back and forth between the two so I never feel too bogged down.

>One of the things that makes them so fun to study is the way they organise into groups

It brings me great pain and envy to think that at one point these were the cultural icons of modern society, and they milled about in much the same way that our cultural icons do now, but with infinitely more talent and integrity between them. I know its rather trite to complain about 'born in the wrong generation' ad nauseum, but dammit if it doesn't make me weep internally to think of how far our benchmark for 'celebrity' has fallen, and how little attention literary genius is given, if it is ever present at all.

>On the Heights of Despair by Emil Cioran
>Despair, I'll fucking kill my self

>Definitive book of body language
>Feeling sneaky but also present

The sound and the fury

Melancholic about the past. Apathic about the future.

>Wuthering Heights

I will never get the opportunity to fall in love with a girl I knew since childhood. I will never have my first sexual experiences with said girl, as we come of age together. I will never develop a bond so close that separation would drive me to madness. I will never find a soul-mate. I will never be bound so tightly to another that we will walk together in the afterlife, or, at least, that is what people would say about us.

>An American Insurrection: James Meredith and the Battle of Oxford, Mississippi, 1962 by William Doyle
>tfw

If you begin exploring the intellectual climate surrounding the British Romantics you'll find yourself in for such a treat. It was an extremely fertile time for engagement with contemporary questions of art, philosophy and politics. The Romantic essayists -- Lamb, Hunt and Hazlitt in particular, but also De Quincey who I mentioned before -- are great fun to read. Lamb has the unusual advantage of being funny, which, for all their qualities, is quite a rare thing to find in the Romantics. He's another one of these examples of writers who were extremely famous and widely read in their own time, but by and large ignored today. And all alongside them you have painters like Turner and Constable beginning to emerge. It's a wonderful time in the history of art and literature, and immensely rewards anyone who wants to get to know it.

>how little attention literary genius is given, if it is ever present at all.
I think the latter is the case. The present environment is not one which fosters genius. And even if some genius were to appear, it's most likely that no one would even notice.

> Crime & Punishment
> feel like i gotta do some uni work oh shit deadline is monday wow

>The Art of the Deal
>Feel like making money

I wish I had a friend like Razumhikin. Even at his most irritated it's like he would do anything for Raskolnikov.

Atta boy!

>Steppenwolf
>Missing my ex

I feel like I'm at the same state. I think it comes from being well versed in science and humanities opposed to either/or. Finding a good balance between the two helps you understand the natural state of things while also understanding the philosophy and psychology of the people in it.

>current book
Final Exit, by Humphrey.

>current feel
I've been better.

I don't think any of Wolfe is difficult if you pay attention, Peace being no exception. I however think The Fifth Head of Cerberus is a good intro

>The Civil War
>tfw you will never cross the Rubicon with based Caesar

>current book
Complete Short Stories, by Tolstoy.

>current feel
Never been so comfy.

Conan the Definitive Edition

Pumped. Shit is so much fun to read.