Can someone tell me the best program for writing? I'm just using google docs...

Can someone tell me the best program for writing? I'm just using google docs, but I'm not sure if that's what I really want to use for my story

I can't believe this is a point of a discussion. Use any programm you like. The simplier it is, the more brain exercise you get. Don't you think that's helping for you as a writer?

Libre Office on GNU/Linux or Microsoft Office on Windshaft (pirate it DUDE)

No.

I'll look into it, thank you.

Computer is for editing

Write with a pen or typewriter

holy shit just use fucking notepad

I'm feeling positive about scrivener. The interface is pretty good for navigating different bits of the story, rearranging stuff and keeping notes on the screen tidily. There's a bunch of more complicated stuff you can do with it but I'm not interested in that. The corkboard screen is brilliant for plotting.

The only issue I have with it is that you can put images in the "Document notes" window but they resize weirdly and you can't look at them properly. That function is not working as it should.

If you’re a guy than can well into computers, look into LaTeX. The basics aren’t that hard to understand. Advantages:
- Gives you nice looking pdfs that you can feel good about (even if the writing is shit)
- Lets you split up your text into different files in whichever way you want
- Combines well with git to save revision history

Emacs

Why a typewriter, but not a computer, if I may be so bold?

I find computers to be very distracting. It might not be the case for everyone though.

I prefer a pen but it does hurt after awhile so I switch to a typewriter.

I don't like to have the ability to edit easily when I am writing. I separate the process into two completely separate steps because my mind becomes too restricted when I start editing. Then I don't want to write anymore.

>I find computers to be very distracting. It might not be the case for everyone though.
Agree with you. Its so hard to focus on one task when i am on the computer. I guess its because its become a habit to "multitask"

Another reason that I like to use a pen is that I can draw with it and this changes how I think.

That is usually how I get started if I can't jump into it right away.

Microsoft Word.

Don't be a pretentious cunt. You're probably already using this fucking dumbshit as a reason to now write. Fucking write or don't. A program isn't going to make you any better, faggot.

/thread

this

I do this but its annoying converting it all into text, especially if you have over a few pages of stuff.

I use Scrivener to compile and store notes, its pretty comfy

Those are very good reasons, user. I hope you master the pen, and write something that all of Veeky Forums can one day meme about

I find when I write by hand I just start 'editing' anyway. Scratching things out. Writing section that actually have to go with the paragraph before. Trying to find the right word for something.

I think divorcing 'editing' and 'writing' is a bit of a lie. To me writing by hand is just scrawling down sloppy notes that don't convert to much substance. You feel like you've written a lot because your handwriting fills four pages, but it's actually fucking nothing when it's down properly.

The pages thing very much depends on the type of paper you use and your own handwriting.

I think people divorce writing and editing because its so easy for some people to get so caught up in editing little sentences when the whole story isnt even done yet. Not all have this problem but it is a common thing.

For me, I just feel easier "going loose" with a pen over a keyboard.

Whichever one you're going to fucking write something in and stop procrastinating about meaningless bullshit.

People were writing books longer than your entire life in stone fucking tablets with a fucking chisel. Nothing matters except how much you want to get your thoughts down in a physical form for others.

Fucking write something, faggot.

Adobe FrameMaker for me
but that's because i'm a professional writer

Typewriter master race reporting in

This.

Google Keep or Evernote or Google drive for cloud based notes on the go.

Plain text editor for actual writing. I use Atom, but I also do coding, so something that robust isn't necessary. Plain notepad is fine

Thirded

emacs
i use git to version control the fiction

Pen and paper, at least that's what works for me best. Typewriter is nice too, but I prefer to spend the money on books rather than on a typewriter.

notepad++ or focuswriter
because they're simple and i can change the background color

(word is perfectly fine user)

Vim

Honestly if you're wasting time thinking about shit like this, you're never going to get anything done.

back in the day, folks didn't have programs to help them write. Fucking spoiled kids. Just give the fuck up and do something else. Writing is not for you.

so edgy.

Motherfuckers had scribes!