Light novel recommendations

I don't know if this is the right board, but I've recently hit a period of my life where I've been reading a lot.

I've read a lot of Phillip dick and Pratchett, but I'm looking for some quick reads specifically in the form of light novels.

I don't believe the wiki has any recommendations, so what would Veeky Forums recommend?

Ive read a couple, but I'm not sure where to continue. I know that light novels are childish, but that's exactly what I want.

I've read rokka no yuusha and no game no life. Things similar to those would be good.

Pic unrelated

recommending suicide to you

murakami

Finnegans Wake.

Do your own research. There is a lit recommended guide that is the first result if you would bother to look. Kill yourself

>read rokka no yuusha and no game no life
Okay, this is bait. This has to be bait. And a pretty good one.

2666 and Middlemarch are fine light novel choices.

Infinite jest is a little overrated in my opinion. But there's something fun about David Foster Wallace's prose.

Welcome to the NHK
Hyouka Series
Kizumonogatari
The Kamisu Reina Books
Durarara

Just a few recommendations.

Don't read any of this garbage, OP.

Read everything in this pic except for the Murakami and the Yoshimoto

Murakami is great, why would you ever skip him

True, you can actually read them if you want.

Anyone else read the new chapters of Hunter x Hunter? Who do you think's gonna win between Hisoka and Chrollo? Chrollo seems to have a pretty airtight strategy, but I think Hisoka is ultimately gonna come out on top somehow. I hope neither of them ends up dying, though.

Welcome to the NHK is pretty good though.

I doubt it.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria and Yahari Oregairu were pretty good

No Game No Life was a terrible anime. I couldn't get past a couple episodes. It pander to otakus so bad it hurt.

But read Welcome to the NHK. Only LN I've read and liked it a lot.

Okay Veeky Forums, place this list in order from least pleb to most pleb

>Genre Fiction
>Young Adult novels
>Light Novels
>Western Comics
>Manga

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I don't mind that kind of stuff, honestly. I haven't really disliked any animes, but I don't watch them too often.

Sorry, senpai.

I said in that I checked out the wiki, and I got some good recommendations for other genres, but couldn't find light novel stuff.

reddit is that way

Western Comics
Manga
Genre Fiction
Light Novels
Young Adult novels

I think you ranked manga a little high there m8

It can't be more plebby than genre fiction.

It's called literature instead of books, and, well, there's a reason for that. /jp/ or /an/ or even Veeky Forums might be better for you.

You should genuinely follow some of Veeky Forumss e/lit/ist suggestions, though. You'll like it, and you don't have to go full arsegrind on it; just read it on the bus, in between Light Novels (they're small enough).
>Genre fiction, in the way you might say Worm Ouroboros or Mote in God's Eye are genre fiction; if you strictly (rightfully) mean only fiction which follows the 'rules' of genre, rather than can be placed within it, then this goes further down
>Western Comics
>Manga, only below WC by dint of basically being more popular and therefore having more fanservice shit
>Light Novels
>Genre Fiction #2
>Young Adult fiction (often overlaps with Light Novels)

I have been. Sometimes I just want some guilty pleasure reads.

At the end of the day, reading, for me, is about pleasure, not knowledge. Sorry.

what's top-tier manga, in your opinion? genre fiction can also mention some neat deeper themes. H. G. Wells and Asimov write some of dat shit for example

>At the end of the day, reading, for me, is about pleasure, not knowledge. Sorry.
We don't need your kind around here.

I think that's fair. We just tend to disagree on what's pleasurable to read bc "mah developed tastes" :(

Disregard the elitists, man, do you

that said, Veeky Forums might not be the place for this biz

Yeah, I just wasn't sure where to go. I can understand what Veeky Forums is, but I figured that there must be people here who do enjoy casual fiction on the side, and so I also here, because the recommendations on the wiki align with my interests.

You don't need to be defensive. The only thing wrong with guilty pleasures is that they're guilty, but if someone was planning on drinking Coke everyday, I'd tell them about juice. If only because it gets boring, otherwise.
Berserk, but I'm a massive "overcome all odds with PURE WILL"-aboo. There's also Shuna's Journey, and Trigun, heavy handed though it is. Tengen Toppa Guren Lagan has themes, as apparently do NGE and the one with all the thongs. This isn't necessarily Veeky Forums literature level, but it's more than fanservice (sexual or nonsexual).

/a/ is a better place to ask, Veeky Forums is for capital L "Literature" (pronounced li-te-ra-chooooooor) and some of the better genre fiction.
LNs are 99% absolute trash, at any rate.
You might try /jp/ but /jp/ is not a good place.

NGE and TTGL aren't manga, user-kun. NGE has a manga but it ain't the same.
There's a great deal of quality manga, including avant-garde stuff. It's no more plebby than Western comics, maybe even less so.
But Veeky Forums is not for this kind of thing.

>NGE and TTGL aren't manga, user-kun
I know, I was trying to manoeuvre into anime range so I could recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes but I fucked up.

I didn't find LotGH to be a masterpiece. It's a competent exploration of political philosophy, I guess, but it won't impress Veeky Forums types.

thanks mate, I don't read that much manga and have mainly only seen/read fluffy titles, so (even though I'm still skeptical!) I shouldn't have judged. I'll check all of these out when I'm between books/I get tired of this one.