Why is Veeky Forums so pretentious? It's like you guys have a stick up the ass 24/7

Why is Veeky Forums so pretentious? It's like you guys have a stick up the ass 24/7

You come to a gay Taiwanese knitting community and expect us to not be pretentious? Please.

Do you have that screencap of the thread where an innocent joyous girl posted on Veeky Forums and anons scared her away?

>having good taste means being pretentious
whoa there now little buddy, it'll all be ok

The world is a cold place, and it makes people cold. It exerts its power on you, and you want to feel powerful. Places like this are a refuge for the powerless to exorcise their resentment. I think most people here know, on some level, that literary taste matters as little as any other measure by which we try to compare ourselves to others, but it offers the only power that many of us have ever known. It's the same reason for the constant arguing, all parties involved know nothing will come of it but there's an irresistible catharsis in screaming angrily out into the void.

To ask Veeky Forums not to be pretentious is to ask for a fundamental change in humanity, a desirable one but one that is difficult to achieve.

cool pic fampai that's Pripyat right?

Indeed it is.

nah, your moms pucci
visited last night, tell that bitch to clean up that issh

Sorry you have bad tastes, did people not like your penguin classics?

Wheres your bookshelf m8, i wanna know who hurt you.

This is a nice response.

She didn't post on Veeky Forums.

Also she honestly seemed like a prick.

Thanks user, I try to extend some kindness to my fellow-sufferers when I can.

OMG Harry Potter is sooo awwwsuum!!!!!111 I reread all seven books every year JKR FTW

Is this what you want, op?

I heard Harry Potter isn't a bad book series.

I haven't really read any of it, and that which I have was years ago.

Have you ever had a stick up your ass? It feels great

What kind of books do you read, then?

Is that what Veeky Forums was originally? That's really cool!

I just started my first Tolstoy book, kinda short though.

The same from a more honest angle:
The classic story of the bullied being a bully once he finds even a tiny step he can climb onto

No, it's just wanting to keep plebs and redditors out.

Communities without elitism end up like /v/, or reddit.

You've probably been bullied on here before though so i send my condolences to you.

You like living on the edge, dont you?

This user is right.

To contribute and expand: those who bitch and moan about taste and patriciandom are usually (not always, but usually) people who think up glorious hierarchies of books and authors, who see literature as a (finite) ascent towards a place from which, once reached, they can dominate others with their self-professed (or even better, gleefully parroted) taste. I'll generalize again, but I've yet to see any of those posters make a meaningful, personal contribution on the interpretation or worth of what they read: it's a status symbol, a pleasure they've nurtured themselves to blindly enjoy. Is there anything wrong in reading Dante and finding it more appealing and profound than, say, Burroughs? Certainly not, and the same argument could be made in opposition. In truth, it's more of a matter of what you as a human and a reader can find in the book, the reflections and "insights" you discover in the literary journey; but one who reads basing himself on taste would hardly see it this way, appealing instead to "objective worth", "patriciandom" and similar concepts - ignoring the fact that those who created them did so after having read those same works, not before, not to justify themselves but to express what they found therein.

The only thing with an edge is my bookshelf friend.

Fucking hell m8
Elitism is your flawed way of temporarily overcoming your insecurities.
You may not even understand what you read but like to consume it nevertheless, and hide behind the value judgements of arbitrary authority figures
It's like one proclaiming that the most superb food one can taste and prove his nerve endings' superiority is frog legs, and you, then, gorging on frog legs. And you dont even like them

>implying Veeky Forums has good taste

>keep plebs and redditors out.
and how well has that worked out for you?

Those are not mutually exclusive.