What do you think of new sincerity? Is being genuine the best way to live?

What do you think of new sincerity? Is being genuine the best way to live?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dH6zJULTVgQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

horse masks are not new sincerity

they are faux sincerity
same with adult cartoons like adventure time

they are a secret irony 'you wouldn't expect a grown man to like this but i do!' that people think makes them interesting/cute/quirky

genuine sincerity, yes, it is a good way to live. reading ironic fiction does not however interfere with this. i can live passionately and genuinely while enjoying the very ironic works of barth and pynchon and vonnegut

I have been living a sincere life since I was born.

>horse masks are not new sincerity
>they are faux sincerity
>same with adult cartoons like adventure time

Absolutely this, sincerity comes from a willingness to recognize your own patheticness and suffering not disguising it around manchild pride

Being genuine and sincere is objectively the best way to live, but I feel like it's impossible with the current state of social alienation and how far the disease of post-modern insincerity has rotted out collective consciousness. There's a rising trend of faux-sincerity, as describes, but that's nothing more than using sincerity as another layer of insincerity to hide behind. I'm not exactly sure what, but something radical must change in order to allow true sincerity to be fostered in society, and New Sincerity feels like early Marxism in that it's begun far too soon for it to really accomplish it's goals, and pursuing it with the belief that you're truly being sincere is only going to further insincerity.

Pic was unrelated. Regardless, your analysis assumes that man does not genuinely identify as a horse.

Hyperirony is the only way to sincerity in 2016 simulation hell

It's got nothing on post-irony

Thats right, lets dig our way out of this pit

Also, if new sincerity is the path, doesn't that mean John Green is in a sense the second coming of DFW?

John Greene isn't remotely sincere, you're mistaking it with sentimentality.
You want sincerity look towards someone like Dostoevsky

New sincerity?
Isn't that the thing Shiah Labeouf invented?
'Just do it man!' Haha that's my favourite.

real question what is new sincerity and how does one manifest it?
I'm am not a well read man

Read "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. I've lived as "The Stranger" my entire life without realizing this book even existed. Sincere, genuine, not hiding your real feelings, connecting with people but not denying the meaninglessness of it. I've made friends, my family is strong, but being sincere with people doesn't work. I've realized this but I don't see a point in changing. The people who like me and continue to like me for me are the people who I am glad stay with me in life but the people who can't handle my sincerity often start to dislike me over time. People don't want other people to be sincere with them, they want other people to conform to their ideas and feel the way they feel about things. I think, from my perception, other people feel threatened by someone who speaks their mind on any topic honestly. Its a disarming personality. I've been told by my closest friends that they know that when I say something I mean it and that they shouldn't test me. This is a social stigma, being adamant to yourself and your feelings, because others see that you're not on their side and when they feel you aren't on their side of things they feel neglected or scorned. If you choose to split things into "sides" you can see that on some issues you will be on opposite sides of things and when it comes to bigger issues, if your feelings are not the same as a friends or a lovers on a major issue, they can see this as a slight and it can weaken your relationship or destroy it entirely, but being sincere means letting this issue destroy that friendship or relationship because you are true to yourself no matter how much pain it might bring you and you will be stronger for it.

Metamodernism is like what you're talking about but it's legit social commentary/theory based in reality instead of an epic mystical memefest for fiction fans so Veeky Forums doesn't care.
youtube.com/watch?v=dH6zJULTVgQ

>adult cartoons like adventure time
He made it for kids. Its not his fault adults watch it.

sincerity is impossible under late capitalism
remember it's all fake

>i live, i burn with life, i love, i slay, and am content

I won't challenge your personality, because it sounds quite admirable, but is it possible that people are more put off by a personality that seems adverse to persuasion and change? In short, a lack of open mindedness?

Strong convictions are never a bad thing, but not being open to the possibility of a different perspective sounds quite close-minded.

>Veeky Forums hey guys forget about atoms, calculus, propinquity or any other bs they teach at your bs government school
>this dead guy from two hundred years ago wrote a book that says I'm smarter than you because farming villages in rural Bulgaria are really being exploited their feudal leaders which proves god isn't real but ghosts definitely are.
>oh you disagree? You're just butt mad fedora tipping STEM cuck
>did I mention I am very smart? Ask my mom and therapist. It's all I talk about
Sometimes I think this board is just /x/ number 2.

m8 I get the feeling you didn't understand me
I'm a not-too-bright person who hasn't read a lot of interesting books in his life
you need to talk to me straight

There's no need for a new sincerity. We're already sufficiently sincere. Look at people like that Sam Lynch guy (is that his name?) He's hip irony incarnate and everyone hates him.

I am open to the possibility of a change. I would change if given reason to change. Being adaptable is important but keeping true to what you know is right is more important. The key word is know, if you are convinced that what you think is right is wrong then you must change for you have been proven wrong. If I am shown to be wrong I accept it.

It comes out of the irony in modernism and postmodernism, came about in the 90's and 00's with films like Field of Dreams and anything by Zach Braff, examples in lit are DFW and Johnathan Franzen. One way to think about it is that they set themselves up for something ironic but instead they are sincere, Field of Dreams could have been some big joke but it was so he could play catch with his dad again and have people relive their childhood memories.

Irony-sincerity is a non-issue for pseudo-intellectuals and half-wits to scratch their brains through their ears over.

Again, I'm glad you agree that possessing an open-mind is important.

I think I've just read one too many Buddhist works at this point, I find it difficult to become too attached to any one viewpoint. Life is transient, as are the beliefs we hold.

>this dead guy from two hundred years ago wrote a book that says I'm smarter than you because farming villages in rural Bulgaria are really being exploited their feudal leaders which proves god isn't real but ghosts definitely are.
sounds fascinating. title?

Do you not realise if we solve the issues of irony and sincerity then hermeneutics demarcate epistemically the continental postmodern analytical please keep giving me tax dollars to live I have nothing to offer anyone and cannot survive on my own.
Philosophy is super important man if we don't solve these issues who knows what could happen.
People might go to school to learn actual real and useful skills instead of going to push air around and flash gang signs.
Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

You guys sure are cool being smart enough to not care about stuff

You sure are shameless accepting NEET bux to study sophistry and who can yell the loudest.
Meanwhile in India Ishmael's just got himself a double degree in computer science and medicine.

>try to practice genuine sincerity
>friends start thinking I'm gay and trying to hit on them

And I admire that belief that all our beliefs and the world are transient. How I find my meaning for living and going on in life and my motivation for living is through my belief that everything we do and think is meaningless but in the end its the meaning we give these meaningless things that is our meaning for living. It would be impossible to live if we just accept that everything is meaningless and short and left it at that. However short everything is, I choose to try and love every minute of it, hate creeps in and can make a nest but I've come to realize that life is too short to let hate nest, love doesn't last as long as hate does so I tend to cherish that love and be grateful for even having it after its gone. Gratitude is a huge part of life that most people overlook. Gratitude can give meaning to the meaningless and can open a path to feeling better in the future. Depression doesn't go away but Gratitude can give a little leeway for happiness. I don't know if that means anything to anyone else but if it makes you feel anything or if you feel you can take anything from this I'm happy and if you have any input or thoughts I'd love to hear them.

fucking this
I can't be legitimately nice to my male friends because they start to think I'm a faggot

Sounds like a lot of projecting your own self loathing going on there mate, admitting your own insecurities is the first step to sincerity

Nice meme response friendo.
Can't tell if clever troll who knows how frustrating generic thoughtless insults are or just stupid.

Are they really your friends if they question your sexuality for being nice?

Relax man, you're among friends, we are like you. Take a breather and let out the pain thats behind this hate, what have you studied? Did you get to study at all?

>You're just projecting because you think you're so cool also you're jealous of me and you want to kill your father and sleep with your mother I can tell all this because I went to one day of psych 101
>I also call skinny people fat because I think that's how insults work

have you never had that weird male friendship with anyone where you never say nice things to each other, rather insult each otehr all the time but at the same time know that it's all good between you two?

Oh I get it you're being nice and sincere.
I just saw the word projecting and thought you were one of those Veeky Forums guys who literally just parrots insults, instead of thinking up one that is actually relevant, and acts like they're real cutting and personal.
They use the word 'projecting' a lot you see.
Sorry ignore me.

>you never say nice things to each other, rather insult each otehr all the time but at the same time know that it's all good between you two

this is male friendship

>this is male friendship
precisely, that's why acting nice looks weird

>new sincerity is about being sincere
>people who ascribe to it feel the need to label themselves as sincere in order to appear sincere
>this somehow is not disingenuous

wtf are you on about? did you even watch the video?

Nice dubs friendo.
Have a (You).

Listen to mumford and sons

I am no longer interested in new sincerity then

Can you think of anymore examples?

there is a category of expression, or no, there is a more general class of second or even third order emotional awarenesses, which, due to the complexity of the methods of conduction by which it arises, the nature of the topics on which it wishes to speak, and its general distance from the bestial emotional appetites which govern the "self" [as it is considered in any "genuine" sense or intrinsically "real" state of being] from which it originates, that it necessitate expression as a form of irony, or, it might better be said: something which must be attributed to an abstraction of the self, or at times an abstraction of an abstraction of the self, if it wishes to express itself effectively

and it is though such expression that the finer, more substantive, commentaries on what it means "to be" arise

new sincerity, to the extent that it says anything at all, says, "free me from these distressing and confusing layers of implication and deference! validate my base sensory appetites as the end all be all of human awareness, for to do otherwise makes me feel artificial by comparison!"

>Being genuine and sincere is objectively the best way to live,

exactly the kind of absurd, baseless statement a beast wallowing dejectedly in its first order emotions would oink at the world

Lost all my friends and gf when I did new sincerity
Yes it did expose people only liked me because I stopped down to their level of retarded family guy irony

My gpa has gone up and now I'm fwb with this older chick who's s hairdresser but is obsessed with morrisey
Sex is good but she's a headache
Veeky Forums keeps me sane

Make like the bee and buzz off

this is actually poorly written

I remember Zizek talking against it in some speech saying that its all the message underneath that counts. He gives the example of British dry humour where you tell your wife she is a slut or something but you know its all just surface and that you really love eachother

But old sincerity is still good, right?

nope all the verbal agreements check out and the clausal chains are immaculate in their modifications

I'm sure you mean it is poorly structured

John green is not sincere. He's a bitch. Being sincere means telling the truth, not cowtowing to what everyone else likes.

What countries are sincere and have SMART people who care about its direction? Is it only nordic countries? Slavic? Idk so tell me. Canada?

I think you are confusing the word sincere with some foggy notion of progressive humanism with the national construct at its operative core

Yea maybe but my question still stands

It's bs

Notes From the Underground is essentially a big ironic FYAD post making fun of GBSers who somehow have convinced themselves that the rest of society suffers from some deep inauthenticity and inability to live directly and sincerely like them

I can't even begin to connect the mental dots you must've to make The Stranger into a book about the virtues of living sincerely

>I think, from my perception, other people feel threatened by someone who speaks their mind on any topic honestly. Its a disarming personality.

lol I think you need to read notes from the underground

>Field of Dreams could have been some big joke but it was so he could play catch with his dad again and have people relive their childhood memories.

exactly! new sincerity is about infantilism at its core

Wow I was never able to pinpoint why I liked that movie so much but this explains it so well. Would I be wrong in saying The Princess Bride and Forrest Gump also sort of fit that category?

Also Big Fish

If you care about how sincerely you live your life, you probably don't live it THAT sincerely

>Notes From the Underground is essentially a big ironic FYAD post making fun of GBSers who somehow have convinced themselves that the rest of society suffers from some deep inauthenticity and inability to live directly and sincerely like them
Are you sure? I've always hated it because I thought it exploits and glorifies this r9k mentality you've described

Which of course stems from Jesus' teachings.

"I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven." - Matthew 18:3

Hopefully millions of people won't be put to death for the sake of New Sincerity.

...But then again, who cares?

I'm surprised that I've never seen that picture of Harold Bloom before.

I don't think the point of Notes is to glorify that mentality. That's a bit like saying that the point of Crime and Punishment is to pay homage to the promising life one can have under Nihilism.

Canada is NOT sincere. All that "politeness" is a ruse because you can't alienate your neighbours in this edge of wilderness society (look up the 'garrison mentality'). People here are incredibly passive aggressive.

Russia seems to be the only sincere nation these days as far as I'm concerned. Probably because their leader actually has a spine. That'll all change when Trump is elected though. Get ready patriots, we're about to enter a golden age.

Ha-ha

There's no previous "finer, more substantive, commentaries" which aren't created by the same processes by which they arise from their speaker. Those points on what it means to be, are not more accurate, but rather more eloquent, and more likely to make others become incapable of answering; all you are doing is imposing on others by a more developped discourse, out of a fear of rejection as irrelevant, you attack all thinkable outcomes in an attempt to not be hurt. You are poofing it up. You are postponing. But those words do not make your emotions less rooted on "bestial emotional appetites" for being more removed. What you are, is afraid, and what you lack isn't courage, but the patience and tranquility to express what you feel in a way that will not get you in trouble; and to get that, you must simply do away with the pressing need to express it.

pretty sure Jesus was being ironic when he said that

I'm lying to everyone I know

Old sincerity is the only true sincerity. New sincerity does not have the foundation of the old sincerity, and so it can't have the kind of power that old sincerity does.

Pic very much related.

try reading it again, but imagine it as it has been described in that post

maybe put it inside a text balloon on a pink background if you think that would help

You're a fool for trusting words at all.

Come here to Brazil then.

I crie ebry tim

So is everyone else.

>but rather more eloquent, and more likely to make others become incapable of answering; all you are doing is imposing on others by a more developped discourse

I can agree with this. And I'm certainly not trying to silence anybody. But what are you proposing as an alternative? Exclusion is a fact of life, and the degree to which you can disembody the spoken from the speaker in order to communicate effectively is one of the least tangible material divides among humans, though it may in a round-about way affect the development of those material divides. It's a pretty sharp mental divide, in my opinion, but, but even the most sincere among us engage in rigorous and highly selective mental segregation - which is why you're not out discussing this with a homeless man nor are you having this discussion with a PhD holder in a reviewed journal.

As far as your fear stuff goes, I really think you are missing whatever point it was I was making. I fear banality.

>Exclusion is a fact of life
Exclusion from what?

>But what are you proposing as an alternative?
I already said it. Be calm. If you don't make a big thing out of your issues there's no reason why you should be turned down. People listen to tone more than anything, so even if you are giving God's truth on love and you're screaming, you will only give them a violent emotion--and powerful, heart touching statements are much more poignant when they aren't trying to be powerful.

Be personal, be understanding, don't dumb it down, but don't try to be so specific, don't try to convince. It's something that is sublime, there's no need to treat it as a war. Care for the way people act or will act upon your words, not how they are affected by them; the world doesn't end at your tongue.

>even the most sincere among us engage in rigorous and highly selective mental segregation
I'm not talking about sincerity--eloquent statements aren't different, they both express the same reality. And statements done violently aren't good, no matter how simple. There's no need to leave the selection process out completely, so much as let it act in the right means. Don't be at war with yourself and you won't be at war with the world.

>I fear banality.
Banality is simply a lack of prestige, and a lack of prestige is a lack of social importance. The point is not to be worried more than you need be about it. What do you need to be listened to, anyway?

>the degree to which you can disembody the spoken from the speaker in order to communicate effectively is one of the least tangible material divides among humans, though it may in a round-about way affect the development of those material divides.
See, now you just have me wondering what you are saying, even though it's probably not that complex.

...is there really such a thing as "new sincerity" and "old sincerity"?

Israel fits that description exactly. Israelis keeps it so real, it gets them in trouble.

Too bad everybody hates Jews

Switzerland?

How do I become sincere? I only lie.

Fa sho, it's like that hoe in "The depressed person"

How do I lie? I'm only sincere.

An honest person doesn't have to remember what he said or plan out what he's going to say

I disagree..The point of shaking the president's hand while wearing a horse mask is to lower the meeting of a president to a joke.
It ridicules the aura of "the president".
I dont know what the wearer of the mask was thinking but that is the end result of this picture.
The presidentcy and the president lose their official aura..
A meeting with the president is something to admire, something to desire, like a meeting with some hoolywood celebirty.
This must be put down, this godly worship.
Its something that was expressed by Benjamin 80 years back but in many ways it still exists, especially when it comes to individuals since obviously, axcess to an individual is restricted and thus revered.

Sounds like you are a pretencious twat.
A relationship with others means a change in both.
Means compromising both your points of view towards a shared one.
Its ok if you dont want to do it but i disagree this is an admirable trait.
Perhaps for readers of Ayn Rand.

A person's oppinions ae not irrational even if that person is not you.
Each person has his ideas about ho things are and should be and its a result of that person's personal life eperiences and conclusions.
If you cannot understand it and sympathize with it thats ok but of course if you couldnt do it at all you would NOT have any friends except those predisposed towards opressing themselves for others.
This might be the kind of people you attract..
Those willing to share your point of view even thought you will not share theirs.

I don't think being sincere means being nice. Banter seems like a genuine display of friendship.

>authorial intent
bend over so i can welcome you to Veeky Forums

nah

lol no, what this does is the opposite, it enforces the illusion Obama wants to be a friendly personal guy and not actually a calculatting politician

I disagree, nobody worships the president. People take meeting the president seriously, maybe this guy brightened obama's day which would be a good use of the mask, but if he is just in it for the lolrandom attention factor then it represents the slow death of overactive media and consumer culture rather than a denial of the the fast, hot death of cult worship of the highest office in the country.

Except it does mean being nice if you are a nice person and acting nice is natural to you