When did you finally realize you are shit writer?

When did you finally realize you are shit writer?

For me, when I read Thomas Wolfe for the first (and only) time, and it was terrible but reminiscent my own writing.

When I read "somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond" and realized that my poetry is stylistically similar in some ways but will never be as beautiful as Cummings's.

Hey, i like thomas wolfe :(

this

fuck you, op. the only thing bad re: wolfe is that it inspired kerouac to write

When I went back to some stuff I'd written 2 years ago and read it again
It sounded so good when I was writing it:/

When I tried writing.

Writing is gay so I never tried to be good at it cause I'm not a fag.

I tend to mimic whomever I was reading at the time so I gave up

This is me when making music

ITT:
self pitying fags
OP is also gay

>tfw I made the mistake of rereading Blood Meridian and people in my writing started dying in grotesque ways and blood was everywhere for at least a week
Fuck you and your tortillas

Isn't that, like, desirable? And necessary for developing your own style?

Thomas Wolfe was the John Green of the 30s

user, if you're still around, theres a wonderful choral arrangement of that poem by Julian Wachner. Check it out

Yeah, Thomas Wolfe is shit.

I read in a critical magazine that there were really only four giants of American literature. Wolfe, Faulkner, Hemingway, and Steinbeck. The saddest story among them, said the magazine, was Wolfe, because he was as talented as Faulkner but could never write characters that weren't himself. So the question of the greatest American author lay between Hemingway and Faulkner and more people tended toward Faulkner, as I do, too.

>four giants of American literature
>not Melville, Poe, Pynchon, and DFW
opinion discarded

>Poe
0/10

This magazine was written during the 1960s, so that objection of yours was well-made. I still think Faulkner's the greatest, though.

I haven't read any DFW, but Pynchon's not very impressive for me.

no u r :P

why the fuck do ppl consider a confederate faggot like faulkner an "american writer" he is a "southern writer" at best

was he a confederate apologist though? idk

>Pynchon's not very impressive for me.

try reading something beyond his senility era detective thrillers u god damn pleb

What a load of shit.

no but he's a corncobby provincial who represents the most backward part of the united states, i don't see how he could considered a "great american novelist", not saying he's bad, i just don't consider the deep south to be especially "american" considering they made us waste 500,000 lives just keep them in the union, lincoln should have said good riddance hill billies.

>Wolfe, Faulkner, Hemingway, and Steinbeck

I think you mean Fitzgerald, not Steinbeck. Steinbeck was not a literary writer - he wrote popular fiction.

you have issues friendo

You didn't write enough, you dunce. This is necessary for developing styles and picking up scraps from your influences.

This isn't even a lie. This is how absolutely everyone has ever learned anything remotely art. Musicians play their influences. All those influences accumulate into their own personality and that defines their style.

So you either didn't write enough, didn't read enough, or both. I would say both.

Or maybe you actually do fucking suck.

The only Pynchon I read was Gravity's Rainbow. If I try to read an author, I do my best to read his or her masterpiece. He wasn't that impressive to me. He meandered too much, although there were times I laughed at the absurdity.

look hot head, the deep south is most definitely just as "american" as the north is.

also you can attribute all those deaths to lincoln. the south was defending themselves from northern aggression. and would've won too if they had half as much resources as the north.

>reading gravity's rainbow for the plot

die

>the deep south is most definitely just as "american" as the north is.
this. how can you decide that one region of the United States is historically more "American" than another?

well i figure if one side fights to leave america and even create their own government, flag and currency, then to me they just aren't as american as the parts that stayed...you know...american.

I could be great if I had the discipline to practice.

you must be 18+ to post on this board

When I read "The Brothers Karamazov"

That hit me.

When i read some of I think it was Alexander Blok's writing.

Idk i just thought might as well give up. I'll never be as good.

I've thought that a few times with a couple authors since then.

Not when I can't get that one particular song I'm imitating out of my mind.

The South will rise again, you illiterate Yankee fuck.

pretty sure the confederates viewed themselves as americans just as much as the yanks did.

>>well i figure if one side fights to leave america and even create their own government, flag and currency
Because rebelling against perceived tyranny out of a desire for self-governance is a totally un-American thing to do and in utter opposition to what the Founding Fathers did.

Those people are all dead. To call the people that currently live in the south, who had no part in that rebellion, "un-american" because of what other people did 150+ years ago is stupid as hell.