Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCe32o9JY4c
youtube.com/watch?v=S0d9Zhyok0g
youtube.com/watch?v=nlIZErrPAl8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YabIYkd-0
youtube.com/watch?v=_ClxguT8rcc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Animal Farm

just finished Auster's City of Glass, and reading it gave the same sensation of listening to this album

not an album, but an artist/author.

Swans are like the musical equivalent of Cormac McCarthy, and their front man Michael Gira even cites him as an inspiration

>Naked Lunch

>literally all popular music
Fucking children.

Crime and Punishment

what are ya, a fucking loser? sorry i didn't put fucking Clarke's Body Riddle next to Finnegans Wake, you faggot.

here, how about this song matching the fan man by william kotzwinkle because you're such a fucking faggot who needs obscurity?
youtube.com/watch?v=uCe32o9JY4c

fucking loser faggot. god i hate you.

That's popularity.

Popular music can be obscure, moron.

literally conflicting terms you fucking moronic pissant.

Lmao bet you listen to classical?
Would you like a handjob pls let me ur so cool

No, you misunderstand him. He's referring to a delineation between popular, art, and traditional musics. There's plenty of use for a metric like that, but maybe it really doesn't matter when the lines have been so thoroughly blurred.

Infinite Jest is The Soft Bulletin.

fpbp

Through the internet? Learn some basic physics, dumbass.

nah fuck that bullshit. he's a hoity toity lil bitch and he can go fuck himself. i hope he dies.

hell hath no fury like an autist triggered.

>i dont know what popular music is
Il/lit/erate.
'classical' is not a genre for the same reasons ''80s' music' is not a genre.

i.e. these are not the same genre: youtube.com/watch?v=S0d9Zhyok0g ; youtube.com/watch?v=nlIZErrPAl8
despite both being popular music.
>lines have been blurred
lol no, they're more definitive now than ever.

Does anyone know any authors similar in style to Sufjan Stevens?

John Green except posturing a Christian.

>i don't know that obscurity means unknown
>i don't know that popular means well known

See: You illiterate.

>"hey, this obscure artist is really popular"

you don't belong on Veeky Forums, you nitwit.

The only "style" of music worth mentioning is Western art music of the common practice period.

is 'popular music'*

Are you going to read, or just shitpost? I've been a musician longer than you've lived.

It depends on the album. Seven Swans is inspired by a Hans Christian Anderson story.

t- thanks

ah yes, all that popular obscure music i've been hearing about.

pasting the word "music" doesn't change the fucking difference between popularity and obscurity, you faggot. you wanted obscure music no one had ever heard of. yer a hipster faggot.

>im illiterate so derkadurr im not oging to read and instead have my wrangler type for me

"Popular music" is a euphemism for low-brow, mass-cult music.

You don't actually have to move a lot of units to be classified as "pop". You just have to be vulgar.

you're literally one of the most retarded people i've ever seen and you don't even realize it.

i'll make this easy for you.
pop music is a genre.
"popular music" is not.
"popular music" is a term used to describe music. that. is. popular.
the term obscure means not well known. covered. hidden.

they are conflicting terms. you complained that the music posted thus far was all "popular music". this leaves only one alternative for music selection. obscure music. music that is not known as popular.

if you can't understand this simple shit, then you're vying for utter retard of the year.

See: Mindless troll.

yep. you're a fucking moron.

besides, if you seriously think Frank Zappa is "pop music" then you're more of a retard than i thought.

Can you not read, troll?

it is popular music

Oh you're just a Zappa fanboy. i.e. a libertarian idiot.

it's music that is popular, yes.
it's not obscure enough for you, because you're a faggot.
we've come full circle. congratufuckinglations, you nitwit of the highest order, lord sovereign of all luddites, you brainless vat broken on the lab floor. you smockheaded teletubby of pre-thought.

Stop trolling, illiteral lolbertarian.

perhaps pre-thought was generous.
you really think that those music selections fall under the realm of pop music as a genre? you think there's obscure pop music? i feel bad for you. i feel sorry for you. I hope you die, but only to end your obvious mental suffering.

enough of this, i'm going to go listen to my acid jazz pop polka. it's really obscurely popular. no one's heard it except everyone.

Popular music is not pop music, troll.

Pop music is not a genre, by the way.

Because then these: youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YabIYkd-0 ; youtube.com/watch?v=_ClxguT8rcc would both be the same genre (an absurd claim).

'classical' is not a genre. almost every music on the actual billboard could be considered classical

please
PLEASE
stop being a fucking faggot

calm down and listen to some of this classical classic pop obscure popular music with me, user.

thank god literature fags aren't this retarded.

go back to your containment board you indie rock loving fuck

SHUT THE FUCK UP ANG LEAVE LIT. YOU ARE PSEUDOINTELLECTUAL /MU/ FAGGOTS. THIS IS NOT LITEATURE RELATED DISCUSSION. YOU ARE CANCEROUS AND ARE RUINING LIT YOU SUMMER NOBRAIN JERKS. YOU ARE PROJECTING
Go away
Go away
Omg go away

I'm a little drunk but fuck off morans. I must protect Veeky Forums

Ban this thread

agreed

ban this thread please MODS

I've been on Veeky Forums since 2003, you are the cancer.

no. i must know what the fuck popular music is.

I've been on Veeky Forums since 2009 and neither of our dates of entry are relevant.
Bitch

The poster you responded to never even used the word "Veeky Forums" - you disgusting cockrider.

He spoke of Veeky Forums - which is the board you are currently contaminating with your egregious /mu/ retardation.

you don't want to go down that hole, man. it's not a good place

I'm not from /mu/ though, why are you so upset?

Are you from /b/, then? You might want to enroll in an ESL class.

Why are you stealing my insults?

no

seriously, what the fuck is popular music?

>art music
Written down, has artistic pretensions
>popular music
Recorded, made to make money
>traditional music
Memorized

It's actually a pretty shit distinction (where do you put something like Can?), but some classical fags like to use it to feel superior so it caught on.

>art = Written
>popular = Recorded
>traditional = Memorized

these aren't really universal truths though.

art music is all music made primarily for artistic glory/achievement
popular music is all music made primarily for economic success
traditional music is all music that's handed down from generation to generation

surely traditional music is just temporally displaced popular music

In a vague philosophical way maybe, but not entirely.
Never before had the attainment of social status by making art been so directly proportionate to the amount of catering to audience's tastes than since the invention of money and the subsequent development of neoliberalism. Therefore popular music in the aforementioned sense is a very recent concept.

Some very successful pop music songs do have the potential to get handed down from generation to generation. We're already seeing this happen, and it's only going to get more prominent. It's what shallow pomo memers would call "narrowing the gap between high brow and low brow culture"", but in reality it's just that the previous generation's low brow culture is turning into tradition.

Oh yes please. Veeky Forums is going down the shitter and I have no idea why or what started it.

to articulate myself better, basically traditional music is all music that has influenced subsequent cultural works.

and you have pop songs that didn't sell very well but proved extremely influential to tradition overtime,
same as you have pop songs that sold extremely well and became completely forgotten with the very next generation.

one might also say that some art music is turning into tradition as well, but of course the tastes will never lean towards the complex works, so the traditionalization of art music is far less prominent. (if we're not only counting the influences of one musical piece onto subsequent musical pieces, and we shouldn't because those are just stylistic shifts within one art form, and not influences to tradition)

bite me, unloved boy. did we kill one of your ">it's a my dick is small so mummy don't love me thread and I'm making fun of those because i'm very ironic" threads?