Harry vs Harry

Just finished all the Dresden Files. What does Veeky Forums think when compared to Harry Potter? I enjoy the way JK Rowling created a whole universe around her wizarding way of life, but I really like Dresden's way of being a wizard in the "real world" and damn the consequences. Thoughts on the better series of the two?

Other urls found in this thread:

interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I always thought that Dresden files were /r/books tier. Are they actually decent?

No. This is a troll thread.

No, they're as neckbeard as books get.

>I_really_like Dresden's_way_of_being _a_wizard_in_the_"real_world"_and_damn_the consequences.jpg

no, but neither harry potter is decent

i have no idea why it became popular

If you're looking for serious literature, don't bother with Dresden Files. If you're looking for lighthearted fun, it's not really near the top of the list, but it's also very far from the bottom.

It's like apples and orange I think. They set out to do different things. Rowling wanted to create a world with lore apart from the urban world. Dresden set out to create something more urban. Each have strengths and weaknesses. Dresden can drag and be bogged down with angst. Harry potter lulled big time in book 5 and 7.

t. a big fan of the urban fantasy genre.

>surprise! people have different tastes!

Any recommendations for top-tier lit?

Try anything on this list, user: interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

Top tier "literary" fiction? Not really. I'm just saying that's not what Dresden Files is going for. It's an adventure series, and that's fine.

If you're asking for recommendations for top-tier adventure, try Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

i meant adventure, guys. This thread is about contemporary real-world fantasy

If you don't like the Korn or the Insane Clown Posse, don't listen to these morons.

The Dresden Files is awful. It's worse than reddit. It's funnyjunk.

I read Harry Potter and enjoyed it, so i picked up Storm Front because morons like these recommended it. It's the worst book I've read in my adult life.

It was so bad that I lost all interest in fantasy as a genre.

If you've ever read a good book in your life, you'll hate The Dresden Files. If you're not the embodiment of a jean-shorts-wearing-juggalo who believes himself to have a "totally sarcastic" sense of humor, you'll hate it.

If you like it, you probably thought people in highschool didn't like you because they didn't "get" you. The reality is you fucking stink because you don't shower, you fucking morons.

>The Dresden Files is awful. It's worse than reddit.
but better than harry potter
unless you have childhood memories about harry potter ofc

>piss is bad but it tastes better than shit!
But in all honesty harry potter is legitimately a children's series, it's an optimistic adventure. The dresden files are meant for an older audience, and that older audience is entirely composed of edgelord fucks.

stealing this

The Dresden books are the worst reddit/neckbeard/fedoracore wish fulfillment I've ever seen. They're Twilight for kids who wear trench coats and have wispy teenager mustaches and like MLP.

So if you're an adult that neither read HP nor TDF nor Anita Blake, what should I read?

I happen to enjoy them, but mostly because of the side characters rather thn the main. Oh, I like Harry, he's Peter Parker with the ability to cast fireball, but Michael Carpenter is the most fun I've had with a Christian character ever.

>It was so bad that I lost all interest in fantasy as a genre.
Lazy fuck, you are. Now, try some R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing-trilogy.