Name the finest books on ancient and classical history

Name the finest books on ancient and classical history

All of it is shit from retards. People in those days were real dumbasses, I'll tell ya.

Unlike the fine specimens of today such as yourself, user.

No, you.

Thanks this is all really useful but I dont want to read what ancients themselves wrote. Modern histories only

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

shit.

You're retarded.

it's outdated you fucking mongoloid

You don't even read.

Finest? Roman revolution by ronald Syme. For actual overviews, get undergraduate books from Edinburgh or routledge. Osborne's Greece in the making is good. So is the one by hornblower in the same series.

So is Moby-Dick. You going to call that shit too? It's a classic, and you can't change that.

Moby-Dick is a work of fiction, it can't be "outdated" you fucking retard.

Decline and Fall, as an academic piece, is completely obsolete.

Keep telling yourself that, cuck. Moby-Dick is filled with informative text with the intention of acting as a makeshift textbook in the form of a novel, and a majority of that information is wrong or outdated now.

Do people actually believe this?

>a majority of that information is wrong or outdated now.

Just like the shitty book you're trying to defend.

is this bait?

If it's just like DaFotRE and Moby-Dick isn't shit, then by that logic you agree that DaFotRE isn't shit.

Moby-Dick isn't an academic work, therefore it doesn't matter if the information is archaic. I don't care what mental gymnastics you do to paint it as such.

I already have this - unfinished - on my shelf.

Strauss uses way too much hearsay and barely refers to actual archaelogy or substansive evidence except when he explains that "we once believed Troy to be a small citadel but recent archaelogy has shown it to be a thriving hub of hundreds of acres!" Not even a tangential reference to why he believes this, just a vague style of narrative that he expects you to believe.

what is this shoved up his ass?

>Moby-Dick is filled with informative text with the intention of acting as a makeshift textbook in the form of a novel
No, "Moby Dick" is epic fantasy. Infodumps and autism are part of the epic fantasy genre since time immemorial.

There is further reading at the back, and also a note of what sources he was using. Strauss is trying to convey an understanding of the Trojan war in the most compelling way possible. It would be extremely dry and niche if the book was a thoroughly sited thesis,

Added to this, Strauss is dealing with ancient history where the evidence is lacking, but educated conjecture - again, in the most compelling fashion.

In this mode he is more like a Herodotus here than a scientific historian.

Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy