Who are your top three favorite philosophers?

Who are your top three favorite philosophers?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/kierkegaard/
philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

my diary desu

In order (inb4: 'le you don't know what you're talking about...' I've read all their works)

Molyneux
Harris
Nietzsche

De Selby
Bergson
Leibniz

Stirner(Fun ideas and concepts, Very interesting)
Hegel(Long, complicated read, deep concepts, very interesting look at history)
Diogenes the Cynic(Very fun stories about him, Interesting lifestyle, Almost mythical.)

lmao, well memed

Aristotle
Leibniz
Kant

good list user

for me:
evola
rand
hitchens

jesus this is a joke, right?

Plato

Sagan
Galileo
Newton

I realize they're not considered philosophers but if not then philosophy is fucking stupid. My girlfriend is taking a course in philosophy, and last night we were looking at something by Spinoza and there was the most retarded reasoning I've ever read in my life. There were all these attributes, and Substances, and all this meaningless fucking around, and we started to laugh. It's pretty funny, this supposed great philosopher, and we're laughing at him. Why do people make excuses for philosophers? In the same period there was Newton, there was Harvey studying the circulation of the blood, there was Galileo pointing his telescope up to the sky, there were people with methods of analysis by which actual progress was being made. You can take every one of Spinoza's propositions, and take the contrary propositions, and look at the world and you can't tell which is right.

You, I like you. But for me it's:

Murray Rothbard
Nick Land
Russell Brand (only for his metaphysics-spirituality)

Pleb out

can you answer my question?

Wittgenstein
Charles Sanders Peirce
Quine

Neil Degrasse Tyson. Truly a revolutionary philosopher because he's a person of color.

dead on. to add to that

degrasse tyson (importnat philospher/popularizer)

Dawkins (controversial on Veeky Forums, i know, but invaluable to modern understanding of evolution and religion)

and probably James Randi (one could argue that his works represent philosophy in its oldest form [separating good arguments from bad])

I would advise reading this.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/kierkegaard/

Rand
Nietzsche
Stiriner

I hate collectivism with passion.

Plato, Diogenes and Epictetus

This guy knows what he's talking about at least unlike the other memers ITT

I would replace Epictetus with Aurelius

>Aurelius
>every second page is him whining too himself about caring what people think and how he should stop
>philosophy

kys

Me
Myself
And I

The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost

Black
Forest
Babbler

lel heidegger lel

Shouldn't we ask who are our "bottom" three philosophers, given they would be the foundation, the basis of our ways of life?

I know it's bait but I unironically think this even though I know logical positivism is wrong.

look at his forehead!

Schopenhauer
Mainlander
Some other emo fuck, Inmendham... maybe

Schopenhauer's philosophy is based off butthurt and mommy issues, or at last his views on women are. Which probably discredits the rest of his work.

To read
>Plato
>Nietzsche
>Kierkegaard

For content
>Nietzsche
>Hegel
>Marcus Aurelius

PLE
B

>Which probably discredits the rest of his work.
No it doesn't, He is butthurt because women are retarded. He didn't have problems with women and forming relationships with them. He had problems with them as people. Have you even read his essays and aphorisms, huh cuckboy?

Pleb detected.

What the hell is Mainlander's philosophy based off of then? the scars from his self-harm?

Quine
Putnam
Lewis

Martin Heidegger
Norbert Elias
Jacques Ellul

Guess which ideology I'm sticking with.

Niggas don't know Hegel like I do.

Aurelius doesn't split hairs about conquering yourself

Nietzsche needs no introduction.

In summary, go fuck yourselves

1. Montaigne
2. Nietzsche

Neechee
Spinoza
Heraclitus

You two are a couple of idiots. There is a reason those philosophers are considered top tier. They are good thinkers and some of them are fun reads.

they're shit for pseuds.

harris has debunked them all
also:
>appealing to popularity

wew

>I appealed to popularity
Good one. This doesn't automatically dismiss my argument.
>they're shit for pseuds
They are building blocks of philosophy.
>harris has debunked them all
If you want to play the "spot logical fallacies" game then I'm calling you out on your appeal to authority. Just because you say Sam Harris debunked them doesn't mean you have given me a reason to believe you.

>Harris has debunked them all

Good one guys

>There is a reason those philosophers are considered top tier.

They are not considered "top tier" - you ignorant shit-for-brains.

if you'd read harris, you'd know.

Reading him will enlighten you and i can not encapsulate his wisdom on fucking memechan.

I have a feeling you'll resist but if you choose to put your pride to the side, read all his works and decide for yourself whether or not i am wrong. If you still think that those 'philosophers' are not laughable in comparison then frankly, i feel sorry for you

Right, and let's just ignore the contributions of Leibniz, Descartes, Pascal etc etc to the sciences. Never mind that that wasn't the fucking question. I mean you're criticizing philosophers for doing philosophy. Are you retarded? That's like buying an oil painting and complaining it's not a car.

I mean for fuck's sake, Sagan was barely even a scientist you dumb shit, he was a fucking entertainer. And have you even studied Newton and Galileo? I mean have you read anything they've written?

I sincerely hope that you're just a troll.

I am going to read Sam Harris eventually but you should put your arrogance and attitude away because it really undermines your attempts at being reasonable if you're being unreasonably annoying.

If we go by the majority then they are considered top tier, if we go by the individual then the idea of a top tier would be subjective to the individual.

thanks for the advice, i'll choose to decline. Mainly because i disagree that I'm being annoying. When a writer like HArris decimates all other philosophers with his genius and these old plebs are still getting revered, it is in the name of wisdom, enlightenment and truth that I recommend him so vigorously. You ought to be thanking me.

You've been spooked.

i pity you my unenlightened friend. Pick up Harris. Don't fall for le stirner meme. Become good. Objectively.

No, if we go by majority of philosophers, the top 10 is:

1) Hume
2) Aristotle
3) Kant
4) Wittgenstein
5) Quine
6) Russell
7) Lewis
8) Frege
9) Rawls
10) Davidson

Source: philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl

The only good post in this thread.

see

>hate collectivism
>Stirner

God, Jesus, the holy spirit

St. Thomas
Aristotle
Josef Pieper

Kierkegaard
Nietzsche
Sartre

Harris? As in that piece of shit Sam Harris? What the fuck happened to this board? Did we get overrun by 12-year-olds again?

>these 3 plebs

Harris is a far more powerful thinker.

>Kierkegaard
>Sartre

I don't think you understand Nietzsche

>Hegelians
>Still existing

1) Schopenhauer
2) Plato
3) Kant

In that order.

Roger Scruton for pop/political philosophy.

Sorry for asking in this thread but I didn't wanted to make a new one, I couldn't find the book "early greek philosophy" mentioned in pic related on the internet and because I'm a NEET I can't buy it, I did found "The presocratic philosophers" by the same author Jonathan Barnes, if someone here has read both could you tell me if the content varies too much between the two books? Thanks everybody

Augustine
Plato
MacIntyre

heraclitus
aristotle
heidegger

Derrida
Lacan
Neil DeGrasse Tyson

They all kinda suck.

Kierkegaard
Diogenes
Nietzsche

I don't even really believe anything Nietzsche says, I'm just a sucker for weirdos, especially ones who had strange romantic attachments for a single girl (cough cough hunchback)

Sartre
Nietzsche
Camus

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Camus

don't have a third thats a clear favorite

Judith Butler
Alain de Benoist
Richard Dawkins

Nick Land
Nick Land
Nick Land

>Harris
Anyone who'd star in a movie like Night at the Museum is a hack.

Jaden Smith
Russell Brand
Lena Dunham

John Green
James Joyce
Jeb Bush

Aristotle
Kant
Epictetus/Aurelius/Seneca trio

What do you like about Molyneux? I've only watched a few of his videos and he just strikes me as a more tame, more intelligent, more anarchic version of /pol/.

He's obviously memeing

1) Bertrand Russell
2)Plato
3)Nietzsche

(Hume then Kant for 4 and 5)

1. Heraclitus
2. Plato
3. Heidegger

Apart from him being the greatest thinker alive and probably the closest incarnation of a true ubermensch the world has seen and will ever see?

Gee, I dunno.

try here

Great list

Greater list:

Camus
Nietzche
Zizek

Best keks I've had in a while.

Ludwig Von Misses
Hans Hermann Hoppe
Stefan Molyneux

Plato
Hegel
Stirner

Dialogues, Dialectics, and Der Einzige.

>Stirner
>Hume
>James
Morality is a spook and you can't know nuffin but let's just pretend it's real for the sake of convenience.

Read more Harris idiot

>New Atheist meme philosophers

>itt
>no Seneca
>no Epictetus
>no Marcus Aurelius

SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME

>Sam Harris
>stoicism
>not the "just be yourself bro" of philosophy

Plato
Jesus
Dostoevsky

>inb4 generic
>inb4 not real
>inb4 not a philosopher

Nice quads.

To me Aurelius was an easier read, but Epictetus was the richer thinker, at least going off of the works we have... Has anyone read Seneca?

My list so far:
Aristotle
Epictetus
Nietzsche

Camus gets an honorable mention for The Plague and I can't wait to start Heidegger.

Hegel, Marx, Deleuze.

>philosophy that sustained the Roman Empire for centuries
>followed by literal emperors of men
>famous for helping military men survive captivity, and currently taught to navy seals

vs.

>edgy philosphies followed by over-mothered fedoras
>used as a replacement for a personality in order to justify personal shortcomings
>people like Nietzsche held in high regard, who, despite talking writing extensively about the ubermensch, was a loser whose mustache scared women

You will know them by their fruits

>Has anyone read Seneca?

Letters from a Stoic is excellent, get it immediately

Camus
Heidegger
Kierkegaard

Aristotle
Aquinas
Hilaire Belloc