Implying this isn't anything short of a masterpiece

>implying this isn't anything short of a masterpiece

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/review/show/99607064?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

b8, poorly read, or manchild

I read the plot today. seemed fine to me.
is it any good?

It is really underrated because genre fiction

It's pretty good for what it is, tbqh. Entertaining light reading.

>implying this isn't anything short of bait

I actually wanted to know if it was worth to read.
everything but the unspeakable protagonist's name sounds interesting

>this is your Veeky Forums on Summer

its popcorn, but its really good popcorn, and the second book is legitimately great

goodreads.com/review/show/99607064?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

>this is what plebs actually think

All memes aside, it's a fun book. If you pick it up and read it you can see why many would drop it off halfway through but if you stay with it a bit longer you will find out why so many like it.
People dislike it mainly for praising the protagonist too much.
What I like best about it is while it is a cute story if you don't look to much into it but it becomes so much better if you pay attention to it. Most good books have one or two 'holy shit' moments but in this one, if you care enough to remember everything you've read from the start, you can have one or two in most every chapter. It constantly shifts your perspective using subtle clues. It is essentially a huge meme comprising of smaller memes.

If you approach it with an open mind and patience, you'll find it to be very comfy and entertaining.

fucking tripe. but locke lamora is actually good.

Quothe or whatever his name, is the embarrassing 'Sue' character this side outside of Anime/Manga/Light Novels. I've learned to put up with a lot but that chapter with the fairy woman was unbelievably cringeworthy. Then there was also the retarded way he approached the Chandrian song with his lover in the second book, though I couldn't finish that one.

If you don't mind sue power-fantasies, then there are worse books in the genre. Otherwise you can skip this series and miss out on nothing.

>If you pick it up and read it you can see why many would drop it off halfway through but if you stay with it a bit longer you will find out why so many like it.

It was the opposite for me. I enjoyed the first half but it got progressively worse. The plot stagnated, the characters ceased to develop and the author shoved in awful 'romance', including that awful chapter in which the protagonist has sex with a fairy in book 2. The promising take on medieval university turned into Hogwarts 2.0 or 'Tom Kvothes' School Days'.

>skilled lover of women

I was referring to the first book, as in it's second half is better that it's first. I'm with you on the second book being bad though. I did like the kung-fu hand-emoji people though, especially their folk tales

Honestly I just want to know what is up with the Chandrian, the Amyr, the Lockless door/box and how Auri will die. Honestly I really like the setting and it's lore, it's the execution that's lacking.

I enjoy the prose, but the latter half of the second book somewhat staggered my suspension of disbelief.

>Gonna fuck this lust fairy now, learn all her tricks and escape by seducing her.
>Oop, now these two ninja girls from a society with a conveniently social approach to sexual relationships.

>The promising take on medieval university turned into Hogwarts 2.0 or 'Tom Kvothes' School Days'.
The University thing would have been good if it didn't stop every page to remind you of how poor he's supposed to be, despite the fact that literally everyone who's not a villain is lining up to give him charity and the bully had a personality other than Malfoy-lite

Has anyone noticed how much he stole from The Last Unicorn? I read it after Kingkiller and I found out that pretty much half of it's redeeming qualities were stolen from TLC. Anything that has to do with the fae, glamourie/grammarie, the 2beautiful4you deal, how believing makes things real, all of these were almost word for word stolen from TLC.

It's basically a light, liberal, and less esoteric Book of the New Sun. It has the same style of stream of consciousness narration and seemingly formless plot progression; just wholly less interesting across the board, or rather that's what I personally experienced. The guy also thinks women are naturally better martial artists than men, so yeah, if opinions like that don't put you off then you're good to go.

Fun fantasy book, but subjecting yourself to Denna passages for any length of time is agonizing. She's a terrible character, and the books would do well to give her far less of a role.

the inn scenes are maximum comfy

>Protagonist is a creepy beta ginger
>book is basically a darker harry potter school of magic
>2/5 stopped halfway through Wise mans fear

However, the writer is from Wisconsin and I hear is a pretty cool dude from people who have met him.

hello r*ddit

The premise of these books is that Kvothe is not as amazing as he thinks he is. Fair enough, it could have worked.

The PROBLEM with these books is that Kvothe isn't as INTERESTING as Patrick Rothfuss thinks he is.

He wrote a power fantasy for fantasy nerds, thought he could transcend it by calling attention to it, then Rothfuss got caught in his own trap and the power fantasy became unironic.

So you're saying it is "anything" short of a masterpiece...
Meaning it is everything short of a masterpiece?

nice reading comprehension, kid

>book is basically a darker harry potter school of magic
Don't really get this meme. I wish it were more like that.

Kvothe actually is as amazing as he thinks he is in Book 2, though, which is the problem, thanks largely to Felurian and the Fremen.

Only when
>It's an Elodin chapter

I gave it a 3/5. I enjoyed it a bit but it doesn't really go any farther than that. I actually liked Kvothe more as a kid and on the streets of Tarbean a lot more than the Kvothe the Poor University Student. As a kid he wasn't as arrogant and he knew his place as Abenthy's student and as the son of performers. I blame Abenthy instilling the idea into him that he was a super genius, this is what effectively turned him into an arrogant shithead, which isn't helped by the fact that the novel consistently enables him to be that way. And in Tarbean it was easier to sympathize with him, considering his life was dogshit and all that.

>And in Tarbean it was easier to sympathize with him,
Until he turned into "epic smooth cool dude" there at the end.

Yeah, until that part. But near the beginnings with his lute being smashed made me care about him a little.