Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Chesterton edition
>Favourite Chesterton novel
>What do you like about it
>Why is he the only happy surrealist?

First for brent weeks, sanderson and rothfuss

Previous Thread:

Is there a Napoleon of Notting Hill audiobook somewhere?

Sanderson is anime (and over-explains magic). Rothfuss has sometimes cringe-inducing first person narratives. I haven't read Weeks. What's he do that puts him in a category with them?

>sometimes
Rothfuss' writing is constantly cringe.

It's old enough for Librivox.

Anyone know how it holds up to Man Who Was Thursday? That's the only other Chesterton fiction I've read, but I'm hopelessly in love with his nonfiction.

I've only read excerpts and was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Librivox is mostly cancer, was hoping for something like audible.
Man Who was Thursday is one of the most fun novels I've ever read which is why I want Napoleon, also Wolfe said it was his favorite Chesterton.
Father Brown was cool, but his least interesting.

>No good torrent for graphic audio for Night Angel Trilogy
>Considered buying it
>It's fucking split into parts and you have to pay for every part

What the fuck is this shit, why the fuck do I have to pay for a third of the product

He's really edgy with no subtlety.

>using cringe as an adjective
I know it's common usage here, but this always triggers my language sensibilities

>graphic audio

yeah?

It's a movie in your mind, mate

Looking for the very best of very contemporary fantasy. I want a series where the first entry came out in 2015 or 2016.

Bonus points for managing to find a balance between loledgy/grimdark and "the good guys are 100% altruistic," not over-explaining the magic, and managing a kind of breathtakingly epic scope from the very beginning.

Even more bonus points if there's at least one lovable rogue in a major role.

no such series

What comes closest?

Not a series but check out Guy Gavriel Kays new book that came out literally two days ago.

Anyone here read R scott bakker? what does Veeky Forums think of it? Could someone elaborate what makes it good or bad ?

> gay,rape and incest

That Guy guy sucks, Tigana was a melodramatic mess
It;s hard to explain what the books are really about...

Shit taste detected.

Having only read the first in his ongoing series...
>good
Interesting philosophy, staggering scope, fascinating characters, it being incredibly bleak doesn't detract from how wondrous it all is.
>bad
Not a single likable character, especially no likable female characters, at times drags a little, sometimes how blisteringly grim it is can become exhausting

You're actually looking for Red Rising, but you don't know it.

oh come on. Tigana had shit characters... It felt like on of those Spanish telenovellas . They cry and shit themselves because of a name...not to mention that everyone is an idiot.

The bad guy should have won, there's literally no way he could lose in any situation...The whole ending left a bad taste in my mouth, it was Sanderson tier, that guy knows nothing about warfare...or logic for that matter.

Brent Weeks is a disgusting misogynist and his books are filled with sexism and constant male gaze, even if his plots are good it's impossible to read the books

hmmm, I heard about the unlikable characters. Could you enjoy it without having someone to "root for" ? curious what yoi think

I am looking for schlock. Guilty pleasures. If any of you know the Daniel Black books, that sort of stuff.

sexytime in the books are a plus

I know this post is to troll Veeky Forums because Veeky Forums gets mad if anyone takes "doesn't handle female characters well" as a legitimate criticism, but I haven't read Weeks. Is this accurate?
I root for Khellus regardless. I don't "like" him but he's fascinating.

It's not his best work but still solid. His prose is among the best in the genre and calling him "Sanderson tier" just makes you look uneducated. Read more before you judge.

> Is this accurate?
Kind of, it's not just women but he seems to like raping/murdering/torturing a lot of characters, trying to be "grim" but just ending up a bit ridiculous.

>I focused my alar

wtf is male gaze ?
hmm, from what I understand, Kellhus is hard to like

He is Sanderson tier, when it comes to plot. I loved his writing style, there where some good moments...however the way the plot is handled made me dislike the books. The whole ending is shit, the way the main characters falls in love with Tigana is shit, the way everybody is sooo emotional is also shit. It's simply too much, no matter how good the writing is.

I'm reading a book right now.

Does the book handle female characters well?

What do I think about it?

>wtf is male gaze?
Refers to the way men look at women. Example: The way cameras in movies, video games, and so on, tend to dwell on women's bodies and such, imitating the way men often look at women's bodies, but also reinforcing the behavior by making it what people are used to seeing. It's a feminist criticism of both men gawking, staring, or leering at women's bodies in a way that in some cases comes across as aggressive, and media focusing too heavily on women's bodies in a way that the critic believes is objectifying.

I'm not arguing anything in particular about if/when it's a valid critique. Just explaining it briefly and probably poorly.

>Does the book handle female characters well?
For its time, certainly. It was written in the 1930s, after all. It's certainly not as bad in that regard as some of Lovecraft's writing, for instance. There's the occasional line that makes you say, "...really?" but mostly it's fine.

>What do I think about it?
You plan to reread it as soon as you're done, to pick up any foreshadowing and see if there are things you get on the second time through.

well thank you. It sounds kinda stupid but at least I understand what you say.

Any good novels with a little girl protag?

>"Show this fellow you are indeed of the torturers' guild."
>The peltast was relaxed, so there was no great difficulty. I knocked his shield aside with my right arm, putting my left foot on his right to pin him while I crushed that nerve in the neck that induces convulsions.
Oh shit, Severian finally showing his competence in actions.

Yes

Posting again for the user who wanted it.
It seems he didn't see it last thread.

So what is wrong with GraphicAudio?

I quite like it

>not being
P R I V A T E
R
I
V
A
T
E

I have but none of my trackers have a lot of audiobooks, and none of graphic audio, which is a shame

Get better trackers.

Red Rising, Fifth Season, City of Stairs

I'm downloading it at 10kb/s from a public tracker atm, it will be done in a day, not in a hurry.

reading neuromancer at the moment but i can't stop thinking wow this is so edgy

>_>

It's one of those books where you have to keep in mind WHEN it was written, too. There's not much cyberpunk these days for a reason.

>brent weeks

I could stand him if there wasn't ten "fuck" in every single paragraph, ughh

Improved version reporting in. Don't fall for the memebooks friends!

>throwing out anything by Larry Niven
>not throwing out Malazan
>not throwing out Way of Kings

wew lad. You probably fucked up even more, but there are plenty there I haven't read. Also, who the fuck excluded Dune from the list?

What's bad about Malazan?

You must be joking. How did the black company not make your cut?

I haven't read it yet and I'm not the user you asked, but there's a weird little war between Malazan fans and a different series. (Was it Bakker? Sorry, I don't have a good memory.)

Just stumbled on my old copy of Musashi from when I was going HARD through my 8th grade syndrome, but now I kind of want to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Any recommended version of it?

I've heard it compared to the black company novels most frequently.

Funny it's Black Company and not the complete bait in general

I mean, it's a fairly shit list, but the "correction" is even worse... what's wrong with

>Anathem
>Pullman trilogy
>Altered Carbon
>Quantum Thief
>Night Watch
>The Brothers Grimm

And why would you X The Ocean at the End of the Lane but leave American Gods?

I am angry. Angry about lists.

Yeah it was funny reading the bit about him selling something like 5MB of RAM as something valuable

I realize the image is bait, but I would still like to hear why someone doesn't enjoy the black company series.

I have fixed the list.

This is the final version, you dinosaurs.

Started reading The Blade Itself, its pretty based. What does Veeky Forums generally thinks of it?

Real version coming through. :^)

>not liking Akka
>not liking Cnaur

His tragic flaw is that he's a cuck, but otherwise he's pretty alright

Ugh. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and all the other books with it, Through the Looking Glass, and maybe some parts of some of the Narnia books.

I couldn't even make it 11 pages into Guardians of the Moon. It's hard to pinpoint really, just something about it that makes it unreadable.

And if there's any fantasy series that I would consider myself a steadfast fan of, it'd be Dune, and those two fandoms can't really conflict that much can they?

>rooting for the bad guy

How edgy

I hope you get castrated you sick pedo

I love it, don't know for sure and don't care what Veeky Forums thinks.

Certified patrician version

As I read it, its universe gradually expands and its becoming better and better. I have a feeling something greater is going to happen. Is that like epic fantasy or?

It's the worst fantasy novel I've read since Rothfuss and well worst book I've read in the last 2 years (so around 150 in total, none are as bad)

Lot of people hate Malazan. Why?

Bad first book

This is bullshit. If thats the worst whats the best?

Ignore him, he's a known memer.

What do I think about him?

Valiant effort, but you can't really fix it - there's several science fiction ones mixed in to begin with, and the OP had a strange definition of "modern".

In fantasy or in general? The general best of list is of course much larger, but in sff Wizard Knight, Book of the Short Sun, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Lord of Light, Amber Chronicle, Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, A Scanner Darkly.... Lots of great stuff.

I've only read the first and I've heard it gets better, but a few things:

Garrett (Was that the guy's name? It was a while ago) reads like an edgy 13 year old's OC. "Oh, he's a jerk, but he's actually kind of nice! Really! See? He likes kids! Only nice guys like kids!"
90 percent of the book was walking and waiting, of the other 10 percent, 90 percent of that was 'calm before the storm' descriptions.
The 'male god controlling the female god' thing struck me as very odd for some reason
The characters never feel like they do anything. I feel like the book would have ended the same way if not a single member of the black company was present through any of it.
There was tons of telling, not showing in regards to how badass characters were. Especially with the company itself, it never does a good job of showing how badass they are, especially when their first major action is killing a bunch of sleeping guards so they can run away.
I feel like nothing is ever given a reason for happening. It all feels very disjointed, like "well, I guess I've had them doing nothing for long enough. Let's toss a conflict in."
This was especially bad with the kid, who I frequently forgot even existed despite her apparently being so important to humanity or whatever.

Lmao. Come on guys. There's a lot of fantasy and soem of us read non fiction usually, so I just want good recommendations. I enjoy The Blade Itself and your opinion is not going to change, its just that I'd like to know how it is compared to other things and if I maybe should explore other fantasy as well.

>what's wrong with pullman trilogy
The entire third novel, that's what's wrong.

Rank Philip K Dicks novels in order of goodness (the ones you've read)!

The Man in the High Castle
DADOES
I guess that's it.

Well of course it's a supreme meme, but I did the best I could.
I should probably make a patrician sff list one of these days, but I haven't read a lot of the acclaimed authors since I deeply delve into body of works of authors I love.
It's complete trash from just about every standpoint I can think of.
Calling me a memer won't change that.
It had prose that was outright offensive. He doesn't write god fucking damned descriptions.
Hilaire fucking Belloc created a more imaginative fantasy world in his non fiction about the upcoming holocaust.
The characters were 1/3 unbearable, 1/3 edgy but entertaining and 1/3 about as bland as a soup without salt.
The plot was slow and half of it could have been edited out. Better authors tell 3 stories with more depth and complexity than he did in 500 or so pages.

A Scanner Darkly
Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich
Man in the High Castle
Valis
Minority Report
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Galactic Pot Healer

I'm probably forgetting at least one.

Ubik?

What did you like about The Blade Itself?

yes i liked it

I've lost track of what I've read now @_@

Scanner
Martian Time Slip
Androids
Flow My Tears
Ganymede
Ubik
High Castle

I think I've read quite a few more though

Yup.
You got it.
Ubik, I don't know how I'd forgotten it, rates one below Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich.

The thing about Dick is that the more of him you read the duller he becomes because his style and themes always bring the same experience, with the exception of A Scanner Darkly which is his only novel I'd rank as 'proper literature' because it's incredibly personal and tragic.

I'm asking for specifics you illiterate mook

yeah and i said i liked it
whats your problem

The sentence 'what did you like about it' already confirmed you liked it.
Bait, bad English or just, as he put it, illiterate mook.

no need to be mean and rude, god

Fuck off, retard

Just to confirm; was A Scanner Darkly actually written like this (the spaces) or did I get a bad copy?

Has anyone read this? I can't stand anything else by KSR but I read this one twice. There's a beautiful reincarnation story with one character that's always a little too passionate and another that wants to help but is a little too passive, and the curve of history that puts the Chinese and Muslims exactly where we are was pretty cool. Although looking back it really was exactly where we are, the later chapters started to get a little contrived and the part where Communists still take over China I would like to rip out of the book.

I consume Dick purely through audiobooks since after my first, Dadoas