I just found out that I identify fully with a satirical character. Kill me

I just found out that I identify fully with a satirical character. Kill me

>satirical

You're meant to identify with him, to feel his own sense of patheticness, I wouldn't share a drink with anyone who doesn't see much of himself in the Underground Man

Apparently the protagonist was based off of a parodic exaggeration of the Superfluous Man and in specific the central character of Chernyshevsky's What Is To Be Done

this is literally me

Yes it's the prize at the end of every cereal box for certain individuals who read Notes From Underground.
Time to really ingrain the self-disgust by reading Crime and Punishment.

This.
I pretty much am Raskolnikov.

It has never struck me until this moment but why are there never parallels drawn between the Underground Man and Holden Caufield?

Because Holden is a weak normie bitch, seriously the Underground man is so many tiers outside his powerlevel

me too m8

It might not be Holden himself I resonate with but Salinger himself. I have little doubt Salinger used Holden as a mouth piece. People are always quick forget Catcher is about choosing between solitude and vulgarity, a book written by a man who chose to be a hermit, and in that way I think Salinger and Holden understand existential dread better.

Why is it a meme to hate catcher again? Every self important liberal thinks they're hip and edgy for disliking it because they can't relate to Holden (who, in my opinion, is a universally relatable character)

I don't hate the novel, it's just a fact that Holden is nothing close to the Underground man, he's just a fairly ordinary angsty kid

Close. The superfluous man was an earlier Russian archetype--see Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time. Dosto was responding to Cherneshevsky, but the superfluous man has nothing to do with WITBD

it's meme to hate anything on the high-school curriculum

B-but we read Ulysses in my college prep

Nobody hates Ulysses

Yeah I could imagine Holden being a satirical character as I don't really understand how anyone could take him seriously, or even the poor writing that signified his banal weltanschauung

I wish Catcher wasn't required reading desu. There wouldn't be as much cringe tumblr rednose fanart

undergroundman is meant to be the devil (i.e. Ego) The more you identify with him, the more you're possessed by the devil. Time to free yourself from dumb ego illusion and fill yourself with God.

If the ego is an illusion then how can I be accountable for my sins?

you're not accountable for anything. being in the Ego trap is the punishment in itself. Its not you, the individual that is held accountable; its you, the subject. The individual isn't real.

But I still burn in hell for an eternity based on my record of transgressions which I am apparently not responsible for.

I am sure you are referring to Yahweh because that's what Dostoevsky would intend at least.

How can a God that is all love send you to hell for all eternity? Hell is being away from God, and no one but your desires (i.e. ego) keep you in there. You can go back to bliss at will (ofc it's easier said than done). There's a reason he's the *underground* man. There's a reason she *crucifies* Liza, and she *forgives* him. Pick up "I see satan fall like lightning" by René Girard, if you're interested in what im saying.

he* he*

How can one be away from God if God is infinite and all things are encompassed in God and we all contain him in the union of the Spirit?
To be away from God is a contradiction in terms

You're right, you're never away. You're just... looking the other way.

That's what I want to know about it

Thats ex-student Raskolnikov if you please!