Was he a good author?

was he a good author?

Better than me

No, he was a shubbniggurathian author

He was unspeakably good. So good that my words here are but a pale imitation and mockery. So good that I developed a debilitating opium addiction and have never read another author since.

>its another "ask a stupid question as if it's posed at kindergartners" thread

no. Geek culture bought into the cthulhu meme. Keep in mind that these are the same people that read GoT, capeshit and gush over the Martian.

I liked his short story about a gravedigger trapped in a mausoleum. I forgot the title.

It's the only novel I read from him btw.

I started with Lovecraft when I first began trying to enjoy some big boy literature. There are a few lines that spoke to me like-

"There are not many persons who know what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life."

But, for the most part I couldn't get past the trope he made of himself.

1.) Self inserting 80% of the time if not more. Young male, dwindling "nobility"/wealth, writer.

2.) It was unspeakable. Unable to be conveyed. I can't begin to tell you. The madness. THE HORROR! Here's how the story goes-

3.) Young white male experiences traumatic event. Goes crazy. Dreams.

His style of letting the reader create their own vision of fear and chaos is brilliant. It has been an inspiration to my own writing style.

Not in the traditional sense. But there were none like him. If uniqueness means value then yes he is a very valuable author.

He basically used his stories as an outlet. Yeah, a lot of them have autobiographical snippets in them, yes, but there are enough people who relate to his character I think. I know I do strongly.

not the same people who actually read him tho

Yes. His prose are perfect for his stories. People love to hate on them, but his stories are all about the atmosphere and his prose are what create that.

Also one thing a lot of people don't get is that a lot of his monsters came from sleep paralysis hallucinations; he wasn't being lazy when he says they are indescribable, the things he saw were literally indescribable.

>Young white male
I fail to see the problem with this.

I have one question.

If H.P. Lovecraft is hated now because "ohmuhgad racist!", why aren't people equally up in arms about George Martin's pedophilia and sexually enslaved children? And if you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, read the damn books. They had to change the ages of 90% of the female actresses because American Television Values.

Because Gurm is not a slave owning pedophile to the best of our knowledge but Lovecraft was a legitimate racist

I will answer.

Racism now, even made up racism like the left likes to whine about, is like satanism was in puritanical England. Nobody gives a shit about paedophiles because reasons. Also HPL was used at the model for some World Fantasy Award and then some black and some SJW got butthurt so it became a sort of issue.

Also, the last part... the average GOT fan doesn't care about the books because most people aren't big readers so they just watch the show. Come on, you cannot figure this out?

I am the biggest Lovecraft fanboy in existence and I'm gonna be straigh with you

He is not a good author.

What he does do, however, it create a particular atmosphere that scratches away at your mind and makes concepts like rational thought or self-satisfaction seem ridiculous in a large, cruel and ultimately indifferent universe.

If you feel that way when you read him, thats great! But objectively he wasn't that great.

>If H.P. Lovecraft is hated now because "ohmuhgad racist!"

He isn't. He's hated because his prose is a fucking horrorshow.

>why aren't people equally up in arms about George Martin

GRRM is an even worse writer, asshat.

In conclusion, you are a filthy genre-reading philistine who should commit suicide. But go back to your containment thread first, so you don't make a mess.

kek

Excellent.

Hit and miss. Maybe you should read him and form your own opinion.

He is a good author and you all plebs should get past the "uh his prose was 2 purple XD and you know UNSPEAKABLELEEL hehe" meme

and learn to appreciate one of the 20th centuries most influential writers

If you want to know why he is so great try reading Houellebecqs essay or D&G

The deleuzian century is lovecraftian

The show is better than the books.

Anybody else think his prose is tedious?

I have a writing excercise where I hand-copy passages from other authors in order to study their word choice. When I did this with Lovecraft, all I could think was "GET ON WITH IT."