What is the essential knightly literature? I read the Book of Chivalry by de Charny...

What is the essential knightly literature? I read the Book of Chivalry by de Charny. I know it should also include the Bible (especially Maccabees and historical books of the OT), chansons de geste, the Matter of Britain, possibly some classical epics too. Anything I'm missing?

Does any contemporary stuff capture the chivalrous ethos properly? Most reactionary/traditional writings I've read seem to not really get what the ancient Christian warrior aristocracy was about.

>sticking your sword in the ground

great way to dull the point of the blade and make it less effective in battle

>implying you need a shiny new sword to cut up and pummel peasant fags fighting with rocks and sticks

you don't need it to be shiny and new but you do need it to be sharp. when you stab your sword into the ground you really have no idea what you're thrusting your blade into, and there's a good chance you will not only dull the point (the most important part to keep sharp) but possibly chip the blade as well.

also, if you are walking around in a suit of mail you probably expect more resistance than "peasants with rocks and sticks".

the point is that it's needless abuse of the sword, and nobody really does it outside of hollywood movies.

While it was written in the 15th-16th century (so, little later than The Book of Chivalry), Baldassare Castiglione's "The Book of the Courtier" is certainly worth your time.

La Morte D'Arthur and Gawain and the Green Knight

For a pretty neat and tidy compendium of King Arthur episodes, I'd recommend 'The Story of King Arthur and His Knights' by Howard Pyle. Pyle drew the fantastic illustrations too.

>you will not only dull the point (the most important part to keep sharp)

do you mistake knights for musketeers or what

>Sir Kay, Sir Ector

I know those names from T.H. White's the Sword in the Stone. Are those characters often associated with King Arthur? Specifically with Kay being his brother in some form and Ector being his father?

Don Quixote perhaps? I know it's a parody of chivalric literature, but Cervantes goes into pretty specific detail about the things he's spoofing (one chapter is dedicated entirely to critiques of real chivalric novels as DQ's friends toss them into a fire) I definitely feel much more familiar the world of knightly literature for having read it, plus it's pretty funny.

nigger are you fucking retarded. do you think he made all that shit up for the once and future king ?

Sir Ector adopted Arthur, sir Kay is Ector's son
t. only watched Disney's Sword in Stone, this info could be wrong

Don Quijote
:^)

Pyle's Robin Hood is also excellent reading for a sunny summer afternoon.

Kierkegaard

do you really not know that medieval swords could be used for thrusting? they have a sharp point for a reason

pikemen existed for a reason

fuck this obligatory overrated piece of motherfucking dog shit, I almost didn't graduate because of this garbage. Fuck DQ and FUCK CERVANTES.

Veeky Forums is not for you. Please find your way to /co/.

le Jouvencel

Sadly only in French and I can't read that.

Piggybacking the thread to ask: what are some good non-fiction books about the crusades?

I was reading a book called The Knight In History which from what I remember was pretty good. I meant to download it again and to finish it, but I keep getting distracted.

I wish I were a knight.

and it was the most important part to keep sharp?

I am sorry that a light, meandering buddy road trip novel was too tough for you

This nigger gets it

Yes. The only way to penetrate armor is with a thrust.

Have you read The Song of Roland? Probably the most manly work of literature ever written. Try the Moncrieff translation.

This. It's very short and very good. Some descriptions are really touching.

Also Orlando Innamorato and Orlando Furioso.