Why is philosophy important?

Why is philosophy important?

It just seems like a bunch of non-scientific theories about life.

it's not

It's easy to see that, for example, the notion of Ideology is an important one (for how people think, are motivated to act, and interact),
and Ideology is not captured well by any scientific means.
Thus: Philosophy.

If it could it would be called science.

Bait.

"Why is astrophysics important? It just seems like a bunch of non-biological theories about stars."

It was of immense importance prior to the advent of scientific tools of measurement. It's obsolete now.

I wouldn't want any of my friends or family to major in Philosophy, the same way I wouldn't want them to major in History and Underwater Pottery. These are all niche-specific majors that will not yield them anything beneficial except for heads full of ideas. It's just dumb to pay for a degree that doesn't immediate kick jobs up your asshole.

As a side hobby, I greatly respect it, because not everyone has the capacity to learn Philosophy and walk away with at least 30% with what they learned.

Why is anything important, user?

i'd fuck her but i want to remain morally pure, she can call me a kant however much she wants

>Why is philosophy important?

it gives people an excuse for not doing anything useful or fun in their lives

Empiricism is great but it isn't the only worthwhile epistemology.

t. an empiricist

Science is a non-scientific theory.

isn't that something that psychology, sociology, and political science have just about covered? what can philosophy do that those 3 subjects can't?

philosophy can be fun and that's what makes it useful.

>that will not yield them anything beneficial except for heads full of ideas.
This is the place we live guys this is disgusting and holding us back. I am not blaming the user who posted. We need to get a UBI so that people dont have to work to survive so we can value heads full of ideas.

ASMR is a spook

Explain that

So tell me user, why do you value scientific theories about life?

>you are now engaging with centuries of philosophical work on all the topics relevant to that question

You cannot prove that empirical studies are a true reflection of reality.

Why wouldn't you believe something that has physical evidence for it?

do you not value scientific theories, then?

if not, why don't you leave your house by walking out of an upstairs window? gravity is only a theory, after all.

(assuming you ever leave your house, that is)

lmao you didnt answer his question at all

I didn't say I don't value scientific theories. Perhaps if you'd ever studied how coherent logical statements are structured you'd understand.

Explaining WHY you value something, doesn't presume that you don't.

Just give up on reasoning with the Veeky Forums fedoratippers

That's a legitimate question to ask and plenty of people who ask it.

Opposition to the Apollo program was more prominent and heated than many people know and people still advance the same arguments today, whether they think that money could be better spent on Obamaphones or glassing the Middle East.

>arguing against philosophy
>brings up psychology, sociology, and political science

Nice b8

You're implying waste through functionality and monetary gain. Both terrible arguments. Theory serves as an important backbone in facilitating understanding concepts which have not been fully understood. You fucking B.A. majors amaze me, acting as though examining and creating plausible outcomes of phenomena in space and earth on all scope levels is pointless. Consider that it is functional but definitely niche. Is it desirable? Yes philosophy, sociology, and history that benefit human understanding are not a waste if and only if they objective explore fields that are not based on subjectivity.

says the stemtard as he codes his 8th infinte runner today

>Nietzsche has changed the world for hundreds of thousands of people everyday
>Kant discovered almost everything we know about the world in history and nature
>philosophers invented emergency services, buildings, swimming, dentistry
>philosophy is the height of intelligence which I can prove since I have been measured to have an IQ of 240
STEMcucks just mad because they are insuperior to my powerful philosophy based intellect.
Do you even realise Plato discovered logic which is what science is primarily composed of?
Why be a scientist when philosophy invented science?
Philosophers could easily invent and design seriously powerful computers but they don't try because they have other priorities.
You people are Neanderthals compared to me.
Talk to me when you can grasp the elusive secrets of philosophy.

bumpity bump

When I was 16, my brother and I came upon an extremely large amount of my mothers alcohol.
While he was debating how to distribute it, I stole it all and hid it.
After he became enraged, I pulled a bunch of stirner quotes and plato quotes out of the republic, arguing it was mine by right of conquest, and because I had the best capacity to enjoy it.
Needless to say, I kept it all, not because my rant worked, but because I kicked his ass.
But I justified my kicking of his ass with Nietzsche