Consider one of the greatest writers of all time wrote a book of Evangelion...

Consider one of the greatest writers of all time wrote a book of Evangelion. Does it have enough substance to rival other works of fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no.
and I like the series.

youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

stuff like code geass or gundam wing could have more potential desu
just take out the mechs and age the characters a bit

I enjoyed evangelion when it was a second rate but slightly self aware kids show run by a mentally unstable misanthrope under a studio with severe financial troubles. I haven't (I have: this is denial like the second season of Darker Than Black [Darker Than Black is a better contender for potential literature status imo] which I surely can't have watched because it never happened) seen any of the major reboots, but they surely must be shite. It was also very visual, and temporal. Lots of preggo pauses, lots of nice geometry and scenery and so on. It doesn't translate well to a novel nor to an abundance of resources.

No. It's a fun show though.

Lots of people liked it when they were a depressed teen because it helped them to stop hatting themselves. It can be meaningful to a lot of people because of that.

That's a fine message but it really for the adult interested in literature, it would not have anything really good to offer beyond just entertainment. It would probably be a good YA book.

Yes. My fanfiction crossover of Eva x Gravity's Rainbow is the greatest American novel.

second season of DtB is best season

I know I can kill...

There were some great bits in the second season but magicuru gullu animations was such a slap in the face.

You could quite easily turn it into a magical realism novel and be nicely deep with it. The fight scenes would need less prominence tho and that kills season 2 again.

I really don't see how coming of age classics like Catcher in the Rye are in any way better than Evangelion. At minimum, a well written novel of Evangelion should be considered a timeless coming of age book, no?

The plot doesn't matter.

>just take out the mechs and age the characters a bit
get some taste cuntboy
NGE should make you hate yourself more, not less.

Why are people so bad at analyzing it.

Why?

Demonstrably false.

t. genre fiction reading pleb

But why?

t. undergraduate

>comparing Catcher in the Rye to Neon Genesis Evangelion
"sad boy protagonist" is not a formula for a compelling novel. Catcher isn't even a "coming of age" story, Holden literally never changes through the book.
An NGE novel would be YA sci-fi with psychological undertones.

Well thought... Continue your thesis please I'm interested.

t. person past the undergraduate age who still posts on a Korean cartoon board

>Catcher isn't even a "coming of age" story, Holden literally never changes through the book.
Embarrassing, do not reply to me again undergraduate.

Stop shitposting.

I'm trying to write a scene as surreal and abstract as the Instrumentality sequence, and it's driving me nuts. I can't write more than a couple of lines without it sounding ridiculous or overly pretentious.

>a book of Evangelion

DTB is shit compared to NGE, what meme is this?

>"sad boy protagonist" is not a formula for a compelling novel.

I always laugh at that scene.

The show was fine and I'm not interested in an NGE novel. /thesis

What was Holden's grand realization that helped him overcome his inner struggle and rise up as a changed man? What was the factor that made the protagonist "come of age"?

have you read Childhood's End? You will never be able to user, it can only be done once.

I'm sure one of the greats in history could do it.

You fundamentally misunderstood the book, undergraduate. It's getting embarrassing reading your insipid replies.

post more eva pics

No

>it's getting embarrassing reading your insipid replies
and your pretensious pseudo-intellectual rambling is supposed to be what, enlightening? You've said nothing. You're literally holding a conversation about anime and books and you feel the need to whip out your e-peen but you've literally said nothing beyond "you're wrong" while having no case of your own

I'm not your grade school teacher, I won't waste my time on someone who can't even read Catcher in the Rye.

you both sound 16 years old

>should make you hate yourself more
It did, but should it have?

lol.
pedal back to safety.

A valuable contribution to the thread. Kill yourself.

Where did I backpedal? You somehow managed to misread a children's book. Embarrassing.

Thing is, Childhood's End never explored the "complementation" of minds from the perspective of those involved in it (at least not explicitly). What I'm trying to do is even more complicated than that, since it involves non-human minds, god-like intelligences, and unfathomable realms of existence.
I thought of literally introducing pictures, or switching to a more poetic narrative form or something akin to religious scripture in those scenes.

my only claim was that CitR is not a coming of age story, a claim that still stands because you have yet to actually challenge it, but tell me that I fundamentally misunderstand the book, then that you have no time to back your claim.
So I'll ask again: did Holden undergo a transition of character in overcoming an internal struggle and COME OF AGE, the fundamental component to a coming of age story?

You are illiterate. This is something children of 13-14 are required to write about. Contrast the Holden we are introduced to at the start to the Holden we part with.

>mfw I've never actually read the book, I'm just tuggin your nuggets

What kinda pix you want?

>Kaji grows watermelons
>Asuka eats watermelons
Quite poetic

Evangelion holds a special place in your heart fo sho. But it is easier to turn an Annie may about someone who loses his sister in "the gate of heaven" in S. America (which is a reference to Columbus looking for Eden) that then disappears leaving only its antithesis, a gate of hell at the antipode where reality goes weird, and the stars in the sky gone etc etc. There's just more to translate easily into literature.

Whereas Evangelion is mostly Shinji doesn't want to fight the angels but does fight the angels because he has an Oedipus complex. It works as an Annie may but I think translating it to a book would be very problematic

>Consider one of the greatest writers of all time wrote a book of Evangelion
The one I'm thinking of actually did though; it's why he's known as John the Evangelist

>Does it have enough substance to rival other works of nonfiction?
But of course

>Consider one of the greatest writers of all time wrote a book of Evangelion
The one I'm thinking of actually did though; it's why he's known as John the Evangelist
>Does it have enough substance to rival other works of nonfiction?
But of course

Catcher in the Rye isn't that good.

It's the first book that comes to my mind when thinking about classic coming of age novels. Are you really disagreeing?

No, because Evangelion is a story that can't be told in the same way outside the medium of animation.

Except anime need a script before the drawing starts.

Yes.

Of course, but the script is not the complete work.

/Cruel Angel's thesis
Here's your pic

So why does everyone care so much about this children's show?

Veeky Forums must be in the same number of 12-16 year olds as the other boards.

Bummer tbqh

The premise of this thread is that one of the master writers authors it. Is there no visual work that can be improved by translating it into text? Even an amateur can leverage the imagination.

A great writer could write an entire book about any sort of plot and it could be a masterpiece. Notice that most of the masterpieces people hail to be the greatest books of all time have little to offer with the plot. All of it boils down to the execution.

Yes, if a great author took the entire plot of Evangelion and made it into a book, it would be a great novel.

>children's show
>Evangelion
Are you dumb? This show is basically "Existential Crisis for Adults:The Animation". If you're a kid and you watch this its nothing but blood and guts. If you pay attention to the dialogues and all the other subject matter this anime gets too real too fast.

If you try hard to do something, it isn't coming from the heart. Let the abstract ridiculousness flow from you.

>A great writer could write an entire book about any sort of plot and it could be a masterpiece.
There are countless counter examples to this. Kill yourself.

I'm saying it would be different, not better or worse, although generally I feel like a work that's been translated from one medium to another is less powerful than a work in its original medium.

>Existential Crisis for Adults:The Animation
Bait or 12?

this whole argument is as silly as arguing that yu-gi-oh is a better card game than poker.

at the end of the day both are just card games.

Poker isn't as entertaining but its better in my opinion. I don't think Yugioh is as socially acceptable.

Being cute doesn't work here, writing a book about Evangelion would imply one was writing about it's development, cultural impact or an analysis piece. In this case, "of" is appropriate.

>Being cute doesn't work here
So no Evangelion threads?

literature isn't as entertaining but its better in my opinion. i don't think anime is as socially acceptable.