>not being an Absurdist

whats your excuse, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophy.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/The Absurd - Thomas Nagel.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he fell for the continental meme

shaking my head

i'm a coward, spooked and conditioned beyond recovery

I think everyone who chooses to go on Veeky Forums from one degree to another is an absurdist

Nice hairline you got there Bogart

>1942
why this year?

Who is this?

he wrote the stranger and was an existentialist

He starred in Casablanca

sam spade

Jean Luc Godard

I'm pretty sure everyone who isn't a Christfag or a Veeky Forums-addicted empiricist is basically an absurdist.

this

90% of continental philosophy is just explaining in a long winded way what we all already understand intuitively

Meursault Maman

>mammary merman

Your post is nonsense.

>For sure man was formed out of earth, conceived in guilt, born to punishment. What he does is depraved and illicit, is shameful and improper, vain and unprofitable. He will become fuel for the eternal fires, food for worms, a mass of rottenness.

>shaking my head
only because you got a weak ass neck my nigga

the stranger was published

I don't know whether to hate or like that movie. I get what it was doing but it seemed so full of its self.

I find Absurdism absolutely absurd

I'm a quietist.

This film was great

>film

its a flick

What movie f a m?

wouldn't that mean....fuck

Show me, don't tell me.

>tfw no absurdist bf to cuddle while he rubs your belly and tells you that the absurd is merely the relationship between the natural human urge for reason and meaning and a universe that is unreasonable and meaningless
why live

False dichtomy.

Funny Games. It's a fantastic movie that sort of explores why we enjoy violence in movies.

It kind of doesn't, it just kind of mocks it.
But i really enjoyed it, and never actually found myself 'missing' the tropes and cliches as it kind of intended.

>movie
see

tfw that's not what absurdism is- sure it's the inability to comprehend the nature of the universe but that's doesn't mean the universe has no meaning, it's just too difficult for us to understand... which I suppose makes it meaningless to some degree because we can't comprehend the meaning of it, so we couldn't be sure if it's still there. Shit.

this film was embryo bait garbage
haneke is a huckster and a fraud who does nothing but criticize the viewer for viewing his films

INTERESTS:
>Literature
>Absurdism
>Micro Brews
>Pale Ales
>COFFEE
>Photography
>Art - see mine here: Deminuitive_Meanings@deviantart:
The Post
>Beards

Faggot hipster trash. Take a shower.

this post triggered me

Camus has fucked more bitches than you ever will.

Enough already of Lacan, Derrida, and Foucault poured like ketchup over everything. Lacan: the French fog machine; a grey-flannel worry-bone for toothless academic pups; a twerpy, cape-twirling Dracula dragging his flocking stooges to the crypt. Lacan is a Freud T-shirt shrunk down to the teeny-weeny Saussure torso. The entire school of Saussure, inluding Levi-Strauss, write their muffled prose of people with cotton wool wrapped around their heads; they're like walking Q-tips. Derrida: a Gloomy Gus one-trick pony, stuck on a rhetorical trope already available in the varied armory of New Criticism. Derrida's method: masturbating without pleasure. It's a birdbrain game for birdseed stakes. Neo-Foucaldian New Historicism: a high-wax bowling alley where you score points just by knockng down the pins.

Close. The universe has a self-contained system; individuals also have a self-contained system made up of preconceptions, ideals, and basically how your brain understands where you are in the world. The absurd is what occurs when the two meet, but don't match up. The world goes on as always but you are thrown into chaos as your brain tries to regain its bearings.

The absurd is the feeling of "the fuck is this?"

Why?

>jc denton interrupts festivus

>The absurd is the feeling of "the fuck is this?"

anyone else get this feel when they were really young like in elementary school?

part of me wants to say that this is a very simplistic analysis of Camus' philosophy but the part of me that kek'd while reading it overrode that other part

thank you user, I am no longer a pedantic faggot

Oh shut the fuck up and go back to /tv/.

I'm only an absurdist for as long as I have no self-worth and find comfort in believing my life is inherently meaningless.

Daily reminder Timothey McNagel's account of the absurd is superior to Camus

philosophy.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/The Absurd - Thomas Nagel.pdf

>not french
>doesn't smoke
dropped

Nice, some actual clarity on the subject.

>elementary school
it never went away

aren't we all in elementary school

i meant the first time feeling like that. being super aware that you're alive and breathing and so confused asking why

"We can salvage our dignity, Camus appears to believe, by shaking a fist at the world which is deaf to our pleas, and continuing to live in spite of it. This will not make our lives un-absurd, but it will lend them a certain nobility. This seems to me romantic and slightly self-pitying. Our absurdity warrants neither that much distress nor that much defiance."

That's ridiculous

camus' philosophy is just tumblr hedonism

Absurdism is for man-children

oui c'est le meme

Friedrich nietzsche

jean paul sartre

TS Eliot

Pepé Le Pew

Ulysses

reddit

The Stranger

he is Calbert Mamus

Alber Camoo

74 years of Europeans trying too hard

the Marlboro Man

That lean... that dangle of cigarette... that look on his face that just screams...... i'm writer

Bonbon Sartre

I wonder if this guy writes books

yeah dude i totally subscribe to a philosophy only for people to associate me with le smoking frenchman of existentialism

identityphilosohers please die

Robert Bresson

>Camus is an existentialist
>You're not butt mad
But I totally agree with identity philosophers

So far I've read The Stranger, The Plague, and The Fall.

From what l could gather, Camus believes that the world is a pretty shitty place, but we should still do whatever makes us happy both in the short and long term.

How wrong/right am l?

About as right as saying Nietzsche is about 'being yourself'.

Give us your run-down of Camus

Camus believes the world is an indifferent place and that we must ''rebel'' against this indifference by first recognizing our inability to decipher inherent meaning and then by imposing our meaning on it that satisfies the condition of the absurd. I don't see where you got the idea Camus thinks the world is a 'shitty place' and to say his Absurdism boils down to doing 'whatever makes us happy both in the short and long term' is a gross misunderstanding of an existentialist's idea of 'meaning' and ignores Camus' rejection of living for the 'long term'.

Read his Myth of Sisyphus if you want a better idea of his views, and not just Veeky Forums's idea of absurdism - its a short-novel length essay rather than a story.

myth of sisypoo is shit.

There's no good reason to imagine some faggot drudging a boulder up a hill as being happy. It's bs

Just to clear things up, l'm . The guy you replied to () is someone else.

Let me rephrase. I don't think Camus says the world is a shitty place, but rather that shitty things can and will happen. We just need to persevere in spite of that. I mostly got this from The Plague.

I won't even try to refute your second point. I thought Camus' work would serve as a good bridge between fiction and more philosophical writings. I knew l probably got everything wrong, but might as well discuss it here instead of shitposting some more.

Will do, l've been meaning to get around to that one as well. I just think l'm suffering from some fatigue after reading the three other books back to back.

Definetely should have read Myth of Sisyphus first. A lot of people jump right in with The Stranger and completely misunderstand the little parable. Namely missing that Meursault's condemnation to death is the miracle that lets him finally live meaningfully.

What is Nietzche 'about'?

that's the my struggle dude

>le just be happy man

Shit tier philosopher desu.

>philosopher
he's a journalist

I completely agree. Michael Pitt's character has been my guide both fashionwise and philosophically ever since I have watched it.

fucking keked out loud

Hunter S. Thompson

>yes... let your hate flow through you...

Philip Marlowe

>expecting everyone to be an absurdist
That's just absu- fuck.

I feel bad posting on these smaller boards cause its like my shitpost will be there for weeks

holy shit so blowdrying the phone was on purpose. thank god

IS THAT OKAY?
NO?
IS THIS ABSURD YET
WE'RE JUST BARELY SCRATCHING THE SURFACE

I agree with a lot of the things the Absurdism school of thought says but theres just something inherently empty about it that I want to avoid. Am I wrong? To me it just seems like a cop out.

Camu Al-Jabert, Algerian-Muslim freedom fighter