Was he the last Romantic poet?

Was he the last Romantic poet?

Hopefully.

ted hughes seems like a romantic

Romanticism will never die.

Depends what you mean by "Romantic". Germany had poets contemporary with Yeats that one could say was following and developing from that literary lineage.

Romanticism will come back, it always does.
New Age is pseudo-intellectual romanticism

I hope it never dies. It has, does, and always will produce the best poetry.

i'm pretty new to poetry but i picked up The Tower recently. reading through it, i have to say it has some of the most beautiful language i've ever read, but honestly i don't understand half of it.

That's because Yeats is intellectual elitist
>muh Golden Dawn

yeats can be difficult but is always intelligible. he is the best english language writer.

>yeats is the best english language writer...

Puhleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase, bitch.

romantic poetry is mediocre

>he is the best english language writer.
sheesh

Looks like you have an unpopular opinion, user. Take it to reddit.

The best English language writer is James Joyce.

Sometimes my poo seems like chocolate but I'm not going to eat it again.

But he's not even top five.

that isn't larkin though ?

yikes

Your irrational hipsterdom is showing.

After Shakespeare, yes.

I don't know why people are under the impression that Romanticism ever ended. After all, when you peel back the cold academic film, Eliot is a High Romantic. Pound is a Romantic in the deepest sense; it's just that his individualistic, insurgent Romantc tendency got redirected into politics. Frost is obviously Romantic, Stevens shamelessly so. 20th century (and I suppose 21st century so far) poetry is just Romanticism trying to get away from itself and inevitably finding itself again. There have been in reality only two significant ways of doing poetry: Classicism and Romanticism. All the rest is one of those two fundamental types masquerading as something else--sometimes as eachother.

My black person.

1. yeats
2. shakespeare
3. joyce

Where would Yeats be without our buddy from Stratford?

Joyce is above Shakespeare.

You forgot the most Romantic of them all, Hart Crane.

Why would romanticism come back? It is an art form which was influenced by industrialization, a feeling of wonder and smallness, fear of man's hubris, etc. those days are gone. We have moved from skepticism of technology to a total pessimism. Romanticism catches us threatened by technology a la Coalbrookdale by Night, but we've been past that phase for ages, we are in the maelstrom now.

I figured that went without saying. But yes, of course, Crane too.

Dark satanic mills? More shiny clear glass plate office high-rises.