How do you guys deal with this suffocating feeling that you're never going to absorb all the knowledge you would like...

How do you guys deal with this suffocating feeling that you're never going to absorb all the knowledge you would like to before your death? It scaries me so much that in my lifetime I'm never going to be able to enjoy all the great pieces of art and essays men produced that for some long periods of time I, dispirited, just quit reading.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/author/show/6440536.Berna_Ojeda_Labourdette
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't have to deal with it because I use the Tai Lopez method to read a book a day.

Stay pleb m98

I know this is bait, but even if someone did it, this person pretty much wouldn't be enjoying all that a great masterpiece can give, as I said.
It may even work with the self-help shit this fraud you mentioned may be reading, but I doubt anyone in the world could take any pleasure or results by just fucking swallowing Divine Comedy on a day.

I'm afraid to say it, but once you die, you can't use your knowledge .

>he thinks you train yourself to read fast by skipping understanding.

You just get your brain to fire much more quickly.

I know everything. Fast.

Also, call Tai Lopez a fraud again and I'll fuckin end you, you got it..?

Knowledge, most of the time, isn't to be used or applied at something. It's to be relished.

Understanding isn't the fucking point of art, you troglodyte.

It scaries me too. What if I get cooties from a boy I like and my tum tum hurts and I go boo boo in bed and fall softly. What then will all my knowledge serve?

For shitposting in hell.

I've been reading books intensely for 3 years now. I've learned so much, it's surprising when I think about it. And there are still like 50, 60 years ahead of me to learn even more. I'm not afraid at all, to be honest.

See the bright side, you can only die once.

>Understanding isn't the fucking point of art, you troglodyte.

Yeh, you're supposed to zone out and wonder whether you're in an alternate dimension. Understanding has nothing to do with art gud one!!!!!

T. Tai Lopez

>Knowledge, most of the time, isn't to be used or applied at something.
What's the purpose of "absorbing of knowledge" then. That's only an instinct of greed is talk inside you.

It's part of it, but not it's principal vein. You ruin the enjoyment of a piece of art if you simply look at it as a huge code to be deciphered.

Well, it might be. It's more of a thirst, though. Why? Are you capable of applying all the "knowledge" you get from a book to your daily routine?
Art is useless, however that's the beauty of it.

Jesus Christ, I expected more from you guys.

facing the fact that you're a pseud is quite jarring, i agree

>You ruin the enjoyment of a piece of art if you simply look at it as a huge code to be deciphered.

it is a huge code to be deciphered but most of that deciphering is done by preconceived ideas of what art usually does. what art are you thinking of that isn't somehow encoded?

>Understanding isn't the fucking point of art

there is no single 'point' of art but generally yeah it is about understanding unless you think all art is just optical, in which case why would the bulk of great works be based on greco-roman or biblical lit?

Protip: saying "I know this is bait" is equivalent to falling for the bait

I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss and bumbed the thread with a comment on the theme, I guess.

>there is no single 'point' of art
Totally agreed.

>but generally yeah it is about understanding
No, it's not. Understanding is (in the general cases) the bridge that takes to feelings and sensations the author may have or not intended to guide you to. Have you ever watched a Lynch film or at least listened to fucking music?
Well, anyway that's how I think of art.

The "material resources" that compose art are encoded, not what comes from it.

plebs can't into epistemology

I'm happy about it because it means I'll never run out of things to learn.

>And there are still like 50, 60 years ahead of me to learn even more.

How do you know when you are going to die? This is amazing! Please share your amazing discovery with the world. You will go down in history among the likes of Newton and Einstein perhaps even more so!

"OH WHAT A SCHOLAR ONE WOULD BE IF HE KNEW WELL SOME FIVE GOOD BOOKS" - flowbear

I remind myself that no matter how much information I absorb I will never know the answers to the most fundamental questions. Then I the rest of the bottle.

That's right. As far as you know only other people die.

You know, I thought about this lately. I went to my gf's parents house to meet them, and I've had the occasion to look at her father's library. Guy's 60 years old and a former philosophy teacher - his bookshelves were filled with an unbelievable amount of books and essays, ranging from 20th century hermeneutics to Croce's writings to Franzer's "The Golden Bough".

Now, both me and her are Philosophy undergrads, so at the table that night we discussed what we were studying - Kierkegaard - and a few other authors, namely Evola and Castaneda, with whom I have somewhat of an acquaintance; hiss knowledge constantly kept dwarfing our own, and I kept thinking: how do I get on this guy's level, how do I become like him?

An easy answer would be to just try and get my hands on everything I can, read voraciously and assemble a sinilar collection of books - but then I realized that would be the wrong approsch. I'd maybe end up well read, but it'd only be, until the end of times, the result of imitation and fear of never achieving anything, not the mark of my love for books and philosophy - this guy did it by reading what he was interested in at the time, researching topics he loved, not in the urge to "acquire knowledge", so I've resolved to do the same and keep at what I like, knowing that one day I'll be able to look at my past and see it full of areas never explored and books never opened, but at the same time I'll know the path I've walked satisfied me all the same.

So sorry for the blog, but maybe it'll be helpful to the discussion.

that's uplifting, although I am still a bit worried about when I will became someone who can diligently read.

I think about this every day and it bothers me so much.

I heard some drugs could help and make you not care about anything, not temporary but like for life.

I use the Berna Ojeda method of reading 4 books a day

goodreads.com/author/show/6440536.Berna_Ojeda_Labourdette

the answer is extreme, radical nominalism. be extremely well acquainted with five or six philosophers, and know the rest in rough outline, read maybe one of their books, and attach a few ideas to the name. then you can say something like "we are here confronted with a sort of Nietzschean appeal to bla bla"

>tfw I have no well read friends who don't do that

At least you have trips.

Knowledge is inevitable. The horse will move whether or not you guide it and the world will still move by. Grab fast the reins, kick your spurheels, find the secret roads and ride for the love of riding