Why read when you can just smoke weed (or other drugs for that matter), play video games, or listen to music (or eat...

Why read when you can just smoke weed (or other drugs for that matter), play video games, or listen to music (or eat, sleep, or masturbate)?

Why do you willingly subscribe yourself to an objectively inferior, low-stimulating, centuries old hobby? It's 2016, everyone ha moved onto better and more fun things.

I do all those things as well duder, moderation is where it's at .

>low stimulating
>inferior

For you

Yeah, but you can do the things I just listed in moderation, too.

>vidya until burn out
then
>music until ears start to feel a little uncomfortable/frission becomes much less frequent
then
>get high and masturbate for 2 hours
then
>eat a glorious meal while watching anime
then
>take a nice hot shower and stretch afterwards

And then you cycle back to video games or browse Veeky Forums for a few hours to give your brain time to recoup.

There's no need for a "reading break". If you feel you need a break from all of that, just lift weights or work so you can earn $$$.

Veeky Forums doesn't read for entertainment, you oblivious retard

This. We're all pseuds here.

I hate the fucking world, too many god damn fuckers it in. Too many thoughts about societies all wrapped up together in this place called AMERICA.

Kill yourself. Just because (You) don't enjoy reading doesn't mean we have to stoop down to your pathetic lifestyle.

For the benefit of others: videogames are a trash-hobby for those in perpetual youth.

If you like videogames, you probably post in the scifi/fantasy general thread.

Many of us far north-hemispherians need escapism to deal with the soul-crushing climate. For instance in the last month here it hasn't been above 11 C and i cant remember when i last saw the sun.

Why not read books for escapism?

>dulling your mind is objectively better than sharpening it!

>only a handful of jobs that require genuine intelligence
>need to have good genes to begin with to even have a chance in hell at landing them
>most other jobs are brain-dead drudgeries in the service industry
>implying I'm going to enhance my intelligence for no reason in my free time as opposed to having a great time after the gayness that is work

Literally for what purpose.

You aggrandize your mental faculties for what? Your ego will die in under 80 years, and this star will be unable to support life in 2.8 billion (sentient life on the level of humans likely much sooner).

I really don't see a point in investing in yourself intellectually unless you're a one in a million special snowflake. Most people are very average genetic cut-outs that are equipped with the bare minimum to survive long enough to reproduce. It makes no sense to get so attached to such an average form, and even if you managed to congeal into a genetic masterpiece, you're still on this sub-par planet.

Start caring when you start experiencing consciousness on a star/life-sustaining body that doesn't suck, or when you get a good roll.

I do, fantasy and vidya have a different function though. Hard literature isn't escapist so much as it's distilled reality.

I don't understand the hate for them. Obviously they're frivolous but that's kind of the point.

We're on Veeky Forums, dude. The general consensus is

Bookz good
Vidya bad

>fun

>anime
>video games
>weed
>masturbate
>eat

>dude were like all gonna die anyway man

So why bother arguing about how we spend our time?

Everything you experience is created in your brain. The better you make your brain the more intensely you can experience all of it.

They're not hated, generally.

Those that hate them are either not familiar with them (elderly), or have recently given them up.

The distaste that you see on Veeky Forums is people that are annoyed at "gamers" wanting other people to accept videogames as art. Videogames are not and will never be art. Bocce ball will never be art. Football will never be art. Board games will never be art.

Gamers are under the annoying pretension that just because they like something, other people should. They have a sickening need for validation that stems from the same root of reality-avoidance that led them to play videogames in the first place.

Lot of fucking work to justify being a lazy piece of shit. You like to wax existential so you should know that the state of being is ridiculously unusual. You're telling me you want to waste it by coasting through life smoking weed and playing Overwatch? To be alive and to waste away your potential is the worst sin one can commit. And personal betterment has NOTHING to do with employment. You want to live a hedonistic lifestyle, go right ahead. Go right ahead and fizzle out and never have existed at all. I'm going to better myself through reading and writing and I'm going to challenge myself to seek the greater truths of life.

>because you can't do both
I would agree though. So much of vidya is shit that you shouldn't bother starting unless you already know what is good.

>They have a sickening need for validation that stems from the same root of reality-avoidance that led them to
>read books
Yeah that's Veeky Forums

I'm in my 20s and I wasted my adolescence playing video games. Casually went on Veeky Forums one day and here I am. I hate the time I wasted on games, so it's not just the elderly who are fervently opposed to them.

>muh superior lifestyle and perspective

This can be said of anything done to excess.

You have no reason to resent games anyway. If you hadnt wasted so much time you wouldn't have grown sick of them and come over to lit.

Great rebuttal. Real quality stuff. I can see that smoking all that weed has really improved your mental acuity.

Fuck you, you video game apologist. You and I both know that gaming is a colossal waste of time where you get nothing out of it aside from entertainment (i.e wasting your life away).

>a colossal waste
Name something that isn't

I agree with you for the most part, but

I didn't grow sick of games, I just realized that I could be reading and expanding my vocabulary concurrently. Plus, if you are an adult and still play video games, you are an overgrown little baby.

Committing suicide. Which, by the way, is something I highly encourage you to do.

reading is the best and most stimulating of all hobbies

you are just a pussy fag cuck whose brain and body have been turned to mush by gmos and consumer culture conditioning

>My personal, subjective opinions determine what is worth doing and what is not worth doing

Spot the hypocrite.

Before video games, TV, movies, or radio, people entertained themselves with books. Why would anyone read a book if *more entertaining* forms of entertainment exist? I mean, it's entertainment, why not choose the most entertaining?

This.

That's completely subjective, though. And for the most part, games, tv shows, and movies are nothing but time sinks. At least with reading you're cultivating knowledge and simultaneously expanding your vocabulary.

Reading books makes you an interesting person whereas grinding 24/7 on Runescape does not.

>an overgrown little baby
Spooky

I do all of the things and I find reading to be the most engrossing. It's the shortest bridge to your brain, there aren't distractions like visuals or interactive sequences.

*those things, as in, what you mentioned

agree'd. as and addendum to that I'd like to share this gem

Why do you think you deserve to be entertained? Are you really so dense that you can't see it's important to grow mentally and as a person?

TL;DR

B-because I like it, OP...

I'm sorry.

>that's completely subjective though

I suppose it is--but so is your "interesting person" comment. Don't you think someone who only plays MMORPGs would find me more interesting if I played runescape all day than if I read books all day?

Furthermore, if I'm enjoying non-reading entertainment, I could be watching a documentary, playing an educational videogame, or watching the news on TV, all things that would add to my knowledge.

>Why [would] you willingly subscribe yourself to an objectively inferior, low-stimulating, centuries old hobby?
We wouldn't, therefore literature is logically superior.

Video games are for losers.

Being a book worm is objectively better.

Also,
>my opinion > yours
And
>my opinions = facts

Anyone who disagrees probably has an attention span and brain capacity equal to that of a goldfish and should be shot. Fuck video games.

you've been cucked by normie morality

yes reading will probably make you smarter than runescape grinding
but there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing runescape 24/7 instead of reading
to each his own

i think if someone is doing anything with passion and toil it is a worthwhile hobby for them
i know i dont have the constitution for runescape grinding