Faust

Just finished faust 1&2. What's your personal favorite quotation and what's your interpretation of Faust 2? Also, did Faust win the bet?

Guys? Anyone?

Most people here only reads vapid shit like IJ, Pynchon and Bolaño, user. Sorry.

ehr, I might get to it, I was intrigued when I skimmed through the first pages once when wasting some time at the Uni library

I wouldn't consider those things vapid. They've just been the center of too many circlejerks. Also, surely there are other gerfags browsing Veeky Forums, faust is pretty much one of the most important german tragedies out there. A few people here must have read it.

The orthodox interpretation of Faust 2 is of course human striving.

For background, Goethe wrote Faust over the course of his entire career - Faust 1 was largely done when he was 20 something, whereas Faust 2 was his last work, an old man at the verge of death. The drastic difference and shift in style is understandable, and I personally like to view Faust as tracing the entirety of Goethe's career and evolution of his views.

In Faust 2, Goethe transforms the drama of an individual - Faust - into the toil of an entire culture. He viewed German culture of the time as the greatest the world has known since the Greeks, and he sought to synthesize the two. Faust becomes not just a lone scholar who makes a deal with the devil, but an abstraction of the German - and indeed human - soul.

The interlude with the Homunculus can, I think, be read as Goethe expressing doubt that humanity is ready, in a sense, to ascend to a heightened level of culture and new form of existence that perfectly encompasses and synthesizes all that came before.

Human striving - both of the individual and of an entire society - is the way to go. Faust was always destined to be saved because God willed it so. Your question is interesting: "Did Faust win the bet?" considering Faust made no bet with Mephistopheles. He simply made a deal that states Mephistopheles will serve him until he becomes, well, content and complacent - and will give up the human striving that makes up the core of his being. It is the Lord who makes the original bet with Mephistopheles, and it is always known that God would win. It's interesting to note that while God proclaims "man must err while he strives," (not an exact translation) he also proclaims something to the effect of "even in his darkest hour man knows what is right and wrong." Such, though the "erring" that accompanies "striving" is inevitable, it is also acceptable, given the human soul's is constantly pulled upwards towards righteousness, which leads to the final image of Faust's soul ascending to heaven.

> Your question is interesting: "Did Faust win the bet?" considering Faust made no bet with Mephistopheles.

He made a bet.

> He simply made a deal that states Mephistopheles will serve him until he becomes, well, content and complacent - and will give up the human striving that makes up the core of his being

The bet was that if Faust, through Mephisto, becomes content he'll drop dead instantly.

> He viewed German culture of the time as the greatest the world has known since the Greeks, and he sought to synthesize the two.

I'd say it's more about the rediscovering of the greek beauty ideal through the renaissance since Faust himself is the personification of the later. This especially seems true to me because Faust meets Helena in a medieval setting, the time period before the renaissance.

> Human striving - both of the individual and of an entire society

Also I don't think it's only about human striving. There seems to be, among other things, critic towards capitalism. I'm talking about the emperor who ends up, through the acting of Mephistopheles, with too much money which undermines his rulership.

>The bet was that if Faust, through Mephisto, becomes content he'll drop dead instantly.

Oh and after that he'll also have to serve Mephisto.

I've only read Part 1, but I thought that was a bit of a trainwreck personally. Perhaps the translation (David Luke) obviously didn't do it justice (awkward rhyming couplets), but structurally the whole thing really shows that Goethe composed the whole thing over a 30-40 year period.

Faust doesn't really seem to have a character (he's overshadowed by Mephistopholes, who is wonderful) and the whole Gretchen story doesn't fit in at all with the bet. And then you have the mixing of high and low which came off as jarring to me (unlike, say, in Shakespeare, who I suppose is the inspiration).

"And here I am, about as wise today, poor fool, as I ever was...I know that it's nothing good I know, I know what I teach won't mend the minds and manners of humankind...so I have given myself to necromancy, to hear the mouths of ghosts disclose in power some of their mysteries..."

bump

It's probably the translation. The English translation of Werther is unacceptable, rendering the work ineffective and silly. Also, the prison scene at the end of Faust 1 is one of the most emotionally intense things I've ever read. Faust 2 is also amazing, completely different.

I don't remember everything clearly, but Faust, near the end, when gazing across the oceans/rocks, clearly is not satisfied yet, and has "sinned," but in the end is saved, right? I thought the ironic ending was very clever of Goethe.

Faust died a bit before Mefisto was able to fulfill his wish to become content. However, Faust did not win. God won, from the start.

Why can I never find a copy of Faust in bookstores? I've legitimately never seen any work by Goethe. I've been trying to read through it ever since I finished the Master and Margarita so that I could understand the source material better.

> clearly is not satisfied yet,

Well, that's no entirely clear. Of course there's the whole god situation which renders the bet between Faust and Mephisto in terms of who has won useless but I think that the discussion is nonetheless interesting. The last sentences that Faust utters are:

"Verweile doch, du bist so schön!
Genieß' ich jetzt den höchsten Augenblick."

Rubbishy translated this means:

"Linger though, you're so beautiful!

Now I relish the most joyful moment!"

If someone has the English translation at hand I'd appreciate it if you could give me the "professional" translation. However, the first sentence is immensely important since it's same sentence Faust uses to make the bet with Mephisto, well except for the comma.

"Werd' ich zum Augenblicke sagen:
Verweile doch! du bist so schön!
dann magst du mich in fesseln schlagen,
dann will ich gern zugrunde gehen!"

Again, the rubbishy translated version:

"If I say to the moment:
Linger though, you're so beautiful!
then you may chain me,
then I'll happily parish!"

So Faust at the end actually has the moment of joy, the one which was the core of the bet.

Also another topic, like already mentioned, do you think that Goethe is one of the earliest critics of capitalism?

*the

Ah yes, you're right. Faust has 'sinned' and finally feels enjoyment at the end. That is when Mephistopheles tries to claim Faust, but the angels/God intervenes and saves Faust. Maybe it's because he deserves life and liberty as he fought for them, and risked it all in the process. It's a long while since I've read it, so I'm not that useful.

German is the worst language for literature and poetry.

Conversely, the best for philosophy; alongside Latin.

fuck that sounds so bad

you all faggots should read faust in german

OH BABY A TRIPPLE

I've only read Faust 1 but I enjoyed it and am looking for to reading part 2 in the future.

>favorite quotation
This line comes to mind:

"Chaste ears must never hear us talk about
What no chaste heart can ever do without."

- John R. Williams translation ln. 3295-3296