/asoiaf/ general

General Discussion thread for the genre fiction series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

>Latest Winds of Winter sample:
georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TMgUIPvAlLI
youtube.com/watch?v=16E_Zn0P6yY
strawpoll.me/10263210
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

please leave

you don't belong here

Best fan art

>board for literature
>posts shitty adult fiction

3rd for no showfags allowed

This series is about books though, and it has a cult following

who's you're favorite waifu on the show?

GRRM IS A HACK

>Aragorn is descended from the Kings of Gondor.
>Jon is descended from the Targaryen Kings.

>Aragorn's mother was descended from the first chieftain of the Dúnedain Aranarth, the rightful King of the Northern Kingdom. And takes after his mother in her Dúnedain coloring with grey eyes and dark hair.
>Jon's mother is descended from the first King in the North. And takes after his mother in her Stark coloring with grey eyes and dark hair.

>The Elendils left Numenor, the highest human civilization that fell to a cataclysmic event, before the island was swallowed by the sea, and kept what would be the last line of White Trees, a mystical tree from Numenor and the island's signature tree that became the sigil of House Elendil, the kings of Gondor.
>The Targaryens left Valyria, the highest human civilization that fell to a cataclysmic event, before the Doom came and much of the peninsula was swallowed by the sea, and kept the last dragons with them, dragons being the signature creatures of Valyria. The dragon would become the sigil of House Targaryen, the kings of Westeros.

>Aragorn led the rangers of the North.
>Jon leads the Night's Watch in the far North.

>When Aragorn was two years old, his father was killed while pursuing orcs. Aragorn was afterwards fostered in Rivendell by Elrond. At the bidding of Elrond, his lineage was kept secret, as Elrond feared he would be killed like his father and grandfather if his true identity as Isildur's heir became known. Aragorn was renamed Estel to hide his existence from Sauron and his servants
>When Jon was just born, his father was killed while pursuing rebels. Jon was afterwards fostered in Winterfell by Eddard Stark. At the bidding of Eddard, his lineage was kept secret, as Eddard feared he would be killed like his father and grandfather if his true identity as Rhaegar's heir became known. Jon was renamed Snow to hide his existence from Robert Baratheon and his servants

eurovision is on /int/ and not /mu/
britfeels is on /r9k/ and not /int/
daily jap threads are on /a/ not on /jp/
a song of ice and fire threads are on /tv/ not Veeky Forums

lrn2boardculture

Read Druon instead you pleb.

take your teenager tier fiction back to /tv/

Does this make you feel smart? Acting like you're above certain literature, rather than ignoring things you don't like instead actively shitposting in them?

Maybe Reddit is more your thing, you can down vote things you don't like there

Tryhard plebs trying to find a use for their worthless English degrees

youtube.com/watch?v=TMgUIPvAlLI

youtube.com/watch?v=16E_Zn0P6yY

Skip over most of the SciFi stuff but listen to what the series is really about. It's not about Jon.

FIRST FOR THE TRUE KING OF WESTEROS

GTFO Preston shill

STANNIS
T
A
N
N
I
S

ASOIAF is terrible and you should be ashamed for reading it. We've already had Harry Potter faggots pop up and insist it's anything but shit. What's next? John Green? Twilight?

What do you think his campaign in Winds will be like?

>Maybe Reddit is more your thing
Maybe Reddit is more *your* thing. You will find a lot of good content on r/asoiaf and we all will be happy.

Nope, you're the one who gets triggered by people discussing things you don't like.

Grow up you sad manchild

I am better than you.

You don't have to stay on this thread. It's contained autism about the book series. You can even hide it. Let us discuss it in peace.

This board is quiet and hopefully it'll allow us to have comfy discussion about the series without show-only shitposters on /tv/

You have inferior taste in literature, so yes, I'm smarter than you.

t. English major trying his hardest to feel superior to somebody

Get back to stacking those shelves and basing your self esteem on your taste in literature

Why do some people believe JRRT is superior to GRRM? I know most concede that GRRM is better with characters, while JRRT is better with universe; but even then his universe just feels like a cheesy, Catholic idea of the kingdom of God.

When people complaining about plot holes are given the answer "that's just how Tolkein's metaphysics work", what are we supposed to learn from that? If the virtuous are always bailed out by Eru Ilúvatar, then where's the tension?

Not saying ASOIAF doesn't do this as well from time to time, and the show definitely now thinks having the bad guys always win, even when it makes no sense, is entertaining.

But It's like why bother keeping your universe relatable and subject to possible criticisms over plot holes and flat characters, when you can just explain it away as "well that's just how my universe works". Feels lazy.

Friendly reminder that GURM is a thief and a hack.

no, *you* are the one who got triggered by people calling out your favorite manchild-core books

i do what i do for the good of the board

You're trying too hard. If you actually believe this then you're an incredibly pathetic person who probably lacks social skills.

>I do what I do for the good of the board

How did you type that without cringing at your own sad existence? Seriously, end yourself.

It's a Japanese woodcutting forum, you take it too seriously.

Complete shit like everything he wrote.

the funny thing about Veeky Forums is that like /mu/, its a dumpster fire of pretentious snobbery and probably as bad as /tv/. You chuckle fucks wouldn't no good literature if it came up from behind and butt fucked you. And that has been proven time and time again.

Too many times have I seen you faggots swallow the hook in writefag threads and totally misidentify one of your precious classics as drivel churned out by some derpy user.

You think Stannis wrote the Pink Letter?

It could be. I'm thinking Mance, though.

I think he will defeat the Boltons desu. I just hope he doesn't die in the battle

Has nobody read Druon?

The parallels are far more striking, pretty much everything in asoiaf that isn't in Farseer is in Accursed Kings.

claim your waifu!
back to /tv /

>wants to talk shitty books
>does not know meme lines from the show that the books are adaptation of

What do you think Mance was sent to find in the crypts under Winterfell?

Just read a theory (I think it's source was Reddit so sorry) that there is a crypt for Jon that was made by Ned and on it will be the inscription of Jon's parentage.

Other theories include he is looking for Rhaegar's harp buried with Lyanna or the supposed dragon eggs that were hidden in the hot springs.

>outed himself as a showfag crying about asoiaf on Veeky Forums

you should definitely kys

>asoiaf is exactly the same as LOTR!
>asoiaf is exactly the same as the accursed kings!
>asoiaf is exactly the same as the farseer trilogy!
>etc..etc..

So at least 2 of these also copied the other one?

GRRM is a meme author.

>Is praised for his willingness to kill off main characters
>Has never actually killed a main character, and in fact his books are filled with cheap fake cliffhangers where they appear to die but then are fine the next chapter

>Criticizes Tolkien for not describing the political and economic details of his world
>His own world is incredibly shallow and simplistic (the super rich family is rich because...they own a bunch of gold mines, which apparently have been going strong for about 5000 years) and even though most is just copy and pasted from 15th century England, because he also doesn't know anything but cliches about medieval history it's still nonsense

>people whining about ASOIAF are butthurt showfags

HAHAHAHAHA Veeky Forums BTFO. Enjoy your bad poosy

>He now realizes that all modern fantasy is a shitty LOTR knock-off

Now you're gettin' it, kid.

First for the main character and most complex fantasy hero of all time

Never mind that Aragorn is literally Conan and Conan came first :^) so did Tolkien rip off and steal Aragorn from Robert H Howard then?

Why don't you write something better then rather than trying to put successful writers down on an anime imageboard?

Oh that's right, because you have no talent when it comes to writing, and you have to shit on others to feel good about your own failings

it's a way worse to spend hundreds hours reading it than to spend one hour a week watching the spectacle

i read dostoyevsky, pleb

Irrelevant as ASOIAF is not good literature or literature at all. Once again I question when we will be seeing Twilight generals.

Bravo GRRM

It's nothing like LOTR, but pretty much everything in asoiaf that isn't about magic or the North is from Accursed Kings, and most of the rest seems to be from Farseer (never read it though).

Does that make you feel smart? KEK.

Off yourself you sad sack of shit

>he hasn't already read dostoyevsky ten times over
>he hasn't already read everything worth reading
>it would take him 100s of hours to slog through asoiaf

thats cute kid, real cute, you might actually be retarded

Irrelevant as you're shitposting on a japanese wood carving board and don't actually fucking know anything at all

*you* might actually be butthurted about me mocking your shitty adult fiction

>butthurted

You've embarrassed yourself lad, just leave

I'm not sure exactly where in my post you think I claimed any writing talent (or how I can fail at a career I never ever attempted?). I pointed out what mindless mainstream critics say about him is simply not true.

>mindless mainstream critics

*tips fedora*

I'm embarrassed for you

no until you leave the thread

You might be a drooling retard who is incapable of hiding the thread and moving on. But no. You can't handle someone violating your safespace. So autistic you can't even let it go, you can't even believe it.

Hahah

>no until you leave the thread

Can any Veeky Forumsfags actually form a coherent sentence? You have no right to criticise ASOIAF when you lack basic English skills

*You* can't handle someone violating your safespace

how many other languages do you know? you have no right to criticise my english when you don't know at least two other languages

Why is Val best girl, lads?

>You have no right to
Whew, you really told us!

I spent my time studying physics rather than other languages that I have no use for.

this whole thread

Read them all. By GRRM's recommendation, actually. He's a big fan of those books.

Yes, they're vastly superior to ASoIaF (which is still pretty fun and entertaining. just not great art).

pretentious snobs pls leave, we want to talk books and Veeky Forums is the board for that. Don't you have a better thread you could be spending your precious time in?

Here I am violating your safe space and here you are all butt blasted and incapable of any actual response. Fuck, you can't even speak proper English, you're probably some shitty mud farming slav.

so the only language you know is english, right? XD

no wonder you love grrm XD

Real talk.

Jon's resurrection. How will it happen? Will he be a changed man? Will he still get PoV chapters afterwards?

I spent my time getting a worthwhile STEM degree rather than some shitty English degree with 0 job opportunities. I'm sure your Spanish speaking comes in handy when you go to Spain and need to order a beer though, go you!

that self-defense passive-aggressive gimmick XD

you are so pathetic i don't even XD

I'm sorry if it bothers you that not everybody did a shitty degree on Veeky Forums.

Maybe one day your English degree will come in handy though!

I'm an engineer and I also speak four languages, you're just a dumb pleb.

Thoughts on the Azor Ahai prophecy:

The blade of Azor Ahai is supposed to be quenched three times: once in water, once in the heart of a lion, and once in the heart of his wife. The blade shattered the first two times it was forged. Think of this analogy in reference to resurrection.

Lord Beric was the first to be resurrected, and he died the last time at the river when they found Catelyn Stark (the first blade). She was then the next to be resurrected, and, last we saw, she was about to try and kill Jaime Lannister, but I find it quite likely this will be her undoing, as this will be quenching the blade in the heart of a lion. The last then to be resurrected will probably be Jon Snow; though, to be honest, it would make more sense if Ygritte were not yet dead, but perhaps GRRM intends to imply he's "married" to the Night's Watch or something.

Thoughts?

upboated XD

le tinfoil but gud

So in the book it's almost certainly Mance who wrote the pink letter

Another Physicist here? Nice. Just got my M.S. in it last week.

>engineer
>calling people dumb plebs
Stick to your data tables and formula sheets, kiddo. Wouldn't want to confuse you.

I have a degree in biochemistry. I am finishing my physics degree next year. I speak four languages (not counting latin).
Stay mad underachiefer.
Also what has that to do with anything?

>engineering

Hahahahaha you have no right to call anybody dumb you fucking faggot.

*v

>it's Neets who spend their free time analyzing stupid adult fiction calling normies mean words The Thread

Nice thread OP

Blame the shitposting autists who can't stand people liking something they don't

strawpoll.me/10263210

My theory: Everyone is a warg and a Targaryen. Thoughts?

That's just sad now.

Blame the shitposting autists who can't stand people not liking something they do

>ITT: Veeky Forums fags rage that they can't control what everyone else likes

Well said, ASOIAF fan. Perhaps you'd like to instruct me as to what literature is? Perhaps it's finding someone squatting in the grass? GRRM really nailed what his books are like by that simple passage.

Is the ending of the books really gonna be tumbl tier garbage like it seems?

This faggot probably can't even stand to read McCarthy. He probably just unironically spouts the names of famous philosophers and authors and decries them for being populist filth so he can feel like a true contrarian patrician of highly refined taste.

>ending of the books
lel

Kant you see I'm trying to tell you that your favourite books are shit? Does it really take a genius like Nietzsche to see how bad the books are? What would Socrates think? Plato? Aristotle? Hume, Hobbes, and Jefferson?

>projecting

I never said I'm an ASOIAF fan, I'm just laughing at you for being a safe space autist

This is why I don't come here often and don't discuss books here. Because if it isn't pseudo-intellectual-fedora-tipping tier shit I'll get shit on.

There's nothing sad about understanding the principles you employ.