Have you guys ever published anything before, whether professionally or for free?

Have you guys ever published anything before, whether professionally or for free?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Glimpse-Down-Memory-Lane-Collection/dp/1449986498
amazon.com/Magnificent-Third-Rail-Retrospective-ebook/dp/B016605O6C
pastebin.com/ckrZN0hm
amazon.com/Headspace-Sci-Fi-Romance-Erotica/dp/1516804139
thenightshiftguy.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are a couple of memesters here who keep spamming their self-published books, if that counts.

i have 1000 word short story that was published in an anthology.

i got a free copy of the book and $20

>for free

It counts. It's still more than (I'm guessing ) most people on this board have done.

That's awesome! Care to give us a link?

Does it really? Even when it's something like pic related?

Won a contest, got a shitty noir short story published in an anthology. Have a nice plaque attesting it, feel it's wholly unddeserved.

Pls no bully, but what's an anthology?

What is this even?

anthology is the study of ant anuses

amazon.com/Glimpse-Down-Memory-Lane-Collection/dp/1449986498

I can type it all out if you give me like 20 minutes.

a collection of poems or stories.

man she is going to be hideous when she's older

>she

Wrote a short story for a science fiction anthology and got published. It was 4 years ago. I was rereading it last week and I realized I was really shitty back then.

I'm actually looking for places that publish short stories. Anyone got any recommendations?

Still pretty cool, imho. What are you writing goals now?

Know what you mean - I was still a few leagues above the other fellas who entered the competition (it's not hard when you're the only one with a modicum of classical education), but goddamn do I cringe now when reading it again. So tryhard and edgy at 18.

I have 30 published works. They're all about ponies.

I only have 1 pony story and it got featured on a cracked.com list

Im one of them.

Have two blogs where i publish new chapters for my stories. One is user-interactive and pretty new.

My grama is verry bad, though. Gladly a friend of mine proof-reeds it when he feels like it.

amazon.com/Magnificent-Third-Rail-Retrospective-ebook/dp/B016605O6C

260 pages of pure pseudo-literary shitposting.

Let's see it, then. I give you permission to market yourself. Just this once, though.

>tfw I want to write stories with an anime feel to them, but nobody would take it seriously

paradigm-novel.blogspot.com

living-dungeon.blogspot.com

Nobody will take anything you write seriously anyway so just go for it.

Wow. That was rude.

I should probably add: the first one is heavier and more psichplogical. I have enough ideas to fill 3 books, just need to get my lazyass to write.

The secound one is more of a light hearted kind, that don't beg for being thaken serious. Its also an experiment of let the readers decide how the storryshould progres. Lets see how long it lasts.

pastebin.com/ckrZN0hm

i figure since the book is out of print I can just put it up here.

You are not worth very much on a personal level. If I saw you and had a conversation with you, I'd walk away feeling pretty unsatisfied.

I got a letter published in an Image comic, not sure if that counts but still nice to see happen.

bit rude

It's not even you specifically, that's just the way it is with any sort of "emerging" writers. At best you're a novelty, at worst you're a joke. I think this just needs to be acknowledged and accepted as an a given if you're going to bother with writing at all these days and don't have the industry connections to immediately come off as "legit".

>tfw they never publish the letters in the trades

what comic? I got my letter published in Daredevil.

It was The Walking Dead.

The letters, not to mention the covers are one of the reasons I moved from reading it in hardcovers to single issues.

Still not the best way to convey the message. I'd like to publish something with a light novel feel, even if it was somewhere like fanfiction.net. I just want to write something original.

Tens of thousands of forum posts.

>he hasn't hit the millions yet

I stopped writing scifi and focused on fiction. My reading habits changed a lot since then too. I wrote a novel last year and sent it to a literary prize in my country. Currently waiting for the result and writing a second novel (40k words already).

Well, everyone is edgy as fuck when they're 18. The important thing is to keep writing.

>Pinchas
Who is this pinecone minedrone?

I published a children's book trilogy in Spanish in my mother country.

I think he means Antheology the study of Ant God.

Antnomenology of Spirits

lets not be reddit anymore.

We can stop being Reddit when someone suggests a good place to publish amateur stuff.

Daily reminder that Cara is an over rated inbred upper class whore and Tay is superior in every regard

i remember a guy here on Veeky Forums that wrote many shitty short stories about sex with magic creatures (yetis, leprechauns) and published them on amazon for a couple of dollars.

No results. What is this?

Yes, I published "Pictures of DFW".

I published two books on Amazon kindle in the last month. One is a non-fiction book about dreams and the other a science fiction book called Headspace. I'm also hoping to publish with kindlescout, but I need to get votes/clicks to win a publishing deal with them. Anyone want to help out I can post the link.

> dis it b?

amazon.com/Headspace-Sci-Fi-Romance-Erotica/dp/1516804139

He's right, though. Try to convey your ideas to people this board, you'll get a general sense of how volatile audiences are, and how it's impossible to really say anything right that everyone agrees with.

This is the difficulty the writer faces.

I'm 30yo and studied in STEM, so yes, physics papers.

I self-published a story of about 37k words on Amazon for two dollars. It's not outright horrible, I spent time weeding out 99% of the grammatically faulty prose, but it's written in a children's book-like style and the story is a meandering romp through random shit that makes Sharknado look like a documentary. I feel too guilty to shill it.

No. Probably should have chosen a more original title.

How many copies did it sell?

i like them both

Jesus, it's someone being honest. He simply disclosed the reality and said that you should pursue it all the same if it brings you enjoyment.

I know that feel. I think the inherent problem is that so much of what makes anime (and movies) great is communicated visually through reaction body language.

I edited and published a 5000 page Who's Who of Executives and Professionals.

I doubt anyone has ever actually opened it.

I write for a local newspaper, other than that no. Although I'm about to graduate highschool and that will open up my schedule for more serious writing. I really haven't had time the last few months.

What do you mean by a anime feel to it? That sounds horrendously abysmal, but there will probably be a few retards who will read it so yeah whatever man.

I'm a stemfag. Do you get a buzz from publishing? I'm suffering from major anhodenia looking at mass spec all today

Poorly written. Sorry.

Can any of you that managed to publish and sell on KDP tell me what the average income you made from a book was? I'm especially interested in the opinions of someone who doesn't consider themselves a proficient writer.

That actually seems like it'd make a nice children's story

>I just want to write something original.
go to /r9k/ then

The solution to this must surely be locking the outside voices out completely and focusing just on what you think is okay. And bother with opinions and improvement after you finish writing a book. Then go for another if you still want to walk down that path.

I published my first app a few days ago

I read the first paragraph of the prologue of your Living Dungeon story.

>Three breathless people run inside the wracked ruins of a small watch-tower. After making sure, they are not followed, they drop to the floor totally exhausted. Their dark, bluish, almost black skin was covert in dirt, sweat and bruises. Their clothes and armor are not in a better state. They obviously had a hard time.

Here's my novice critique.
From the first line the writing feels very expository. The way you present the information is very direct and boring. Then I immediately spotted a grammar mistake "black skin was *covert* in dirt, sweat and bruises. I didn't expect much after that.

Very very few. I think I've made like forty cents off of it within the last three years. But like I said, I'm too guilty/foolish to shill it even to friends/family.

I've gotten three short stories published. It's all been in the last few months, too, so it's very exciting. Not paid yet, but I'm hoping to claw my way to a good reputation, and then maybe from there I can get my novel published.

I published a poem in an anthology when I was like 8, some random rung our house up a few months later to talk to me and said I would be a great writer one day. It spooked me out a bit. I've never really tried to publish things I've wrote as of now. Might do later on.

I liked it mate. Kind of cute.

What's sad is my fan fiction probably has more fans and readers than anyone else on Veeky Forums.

I wish I could write something original.

What series do you write fanfic about?

There's a big mix. Buffy, Ranma 1/2, Naruto.

I got published in a poetry book with twenty other children in Northern Ireland out of a few hundred schools back when I was about eight or nine.

>tfw published before my balls dropped

you are the demons

I've had a couple poems published in online journals.

but generally, no. i'm terrible and i should really just quit.

i won't. but i probably should.

I'd be too scared to attempt to publish anything, or even show anything I've wrote to anything else. Which is funny, because I don't have the same stagefright for anything else.

As someone who has self-published several "anime-style" novels, I can attest that nobody gives a fuck and you should just have fun. It's not like there's anything to lose, so long as you're not dumb enough to put your own name on the cover.

shill it here

that was good

I've finished my PhD and went for a comfy 20h job. Now I read books more than I work. Very comfy.

I've finished my PhD and went for a 20h job.
Now I read books more than I work. Very comfy.

Or rather... in fact I just offered the Institute for Traffic Safety of my city (Vienna) to analyze the police data. 10hours/week, for free. Stuff like that.

I just have a blog on wordpress, I hope to publish something in the future someday. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
thenightshiftguy.wordpress.com/

I self-published a book to Amazon just recently, if that counts.

It doesn't

fiction? no. professional ad copy, plenty. worked for an ad agency who catered to lawyers, medical practitioners, financial planners, real estate agents, etc. there are literally thousands of pages of online and offline content authored by yours truly.

I'm sure it was very difficult to write.

Would you also write if nobody else would ever read it?

Where did you publish them?

So then do you use fanfiction.net or whatever?

Are they self-published, though?

No. Not gonna lie. The point of writing is to share your ideas with others.

not really. i wrote for my college paper and then a city paper for a year. the ad job paid more than the paper so i quit. basically, the ad job consisted of a shit ton of research and writing 1,000 - 2,000 words of copy every day, much less than the paper job, where several graphs were only 250-500 words per day. most clients weren't that demanding. we elevated our copy for the ones that were, though.

these days i do production jobs for Disney and write fiction and screenplays on my off days. finished one novel and half way through another. hope the first one sells because the long hours kill me here.

anyways, good luck with your writing, mate.

oops, i meant the paper job required less output but had more stringent regs than the ad job. with ad copy, the rule of the trade was to do whatever works. for paper jobs, you have to follow the inverted triangle style of composition. and i think i also overstated the amount of writing. it was closer to 1,000-1,500 words/day.

If I'm not going to share, I may as well keep the thoughts in my head. It's left effort, and anyway they always seem more compelling there.

Yeah, that's a fanfiction.net layout

How is it? Does it do a rating system, subscribers, etc.? I use a different source for my fanfiction, but I'm interested.