Find an editor

>Find an editor
>Works well for the first chapter, immediately drops out
>Get second editor
>Makes it a few chapters longer
>Takes 4 months to do just 6 chapters
>Quits once I finish the rough draft

Holy fuck, what is with editors being so garbage at doing their job? I just need one person to read the whole fucking thing, but they all drop it because of personal shit.

That's a cool picture you have there, lad. Mind if I save it?

you don't want that one. digging the sword into the ground like that would dull the blade.

Editors, especially freelance editors, are a meme. You honestly don't need one. Just proofread your shit a few times and make some changes wherever you think they're necessary. It takes a while to develop a sense for this sort of thing, but after editing a 200+ page book of your own a few times you'll more or less be able to do any editor's job on your own.

Yeah, but I think getting other people to look at the work is important. Most of the writer's I'ver worked with run into issues about "oh, right, I forgot to write that they had X with them" or something similar.

Really, I can do the grammar and shit, I just need someone to read the damn thing and tell me if I forgot to mention who's stabbing who.

Just get some friends of yours to read it for that kind of stuff. Though continuity errors and other shit like that should become apparent during the proofreading process too, assuming you do it at least 2-3 times or more.

>Just get some friends

Those were my editors. All the writers I used to know stopped talking to me after they went to other colleges. It's hard as fuck finding people who will just read shit.

Get better friends then. I've gotten a few people to read entire books I've written in their entirety.

It's the middle of the afternoon on a Friday and I'm on Veeky Forums

Do you honestly think getting friends is an option?

It depends on where you live. I'm not particularly sociable and I chat up new people outside all the time.

Bumping this

How long is this shit, faggot.
I'll do it.

Provided it's not literally the worst shit ever.

It's 300 pages or so on google docs. I think the count last time I checked was like 125000 words

I can have a look as well if you want extra readers, i'm no where near professional and I probably won't get back to you very quick but I'll try to look through as best I can. I'll leave my email for you to share it with if you decide to

>"oh, right, I forgot to write that they had X with them"
How does this happen with revision?

Link it

Would rather not have it be spammed by shitposts. If you put up your email, I can add you as a reader though.
Continuity stuff, like if you're writing the background to a character and aren't sure if they did something with Sword A or Sword B. Just little details, but when the pile up it fucks up a story real bad.

[email protected]

[email protected]
I have Monday Tuesday off and will read it and tell you what I think if you'd like.
Make sure to set it read only

You all should have one now.

Why read only, btw? I usually let proofreaders comment on stuff unless they start spouting memes and filling up my inbox with stuff.

Maybe stop being like every other shitnigger trying to get published and show up with something unfinished

Nigga, the book is already fucking done. It's finished.

I'm looking for proofreaders, not hand holders.

please tell me this isnt more fantasy garbage

then get over your shitty book and kill yourself

It's called Icara's Tale: Heir Apparent
I'm waiting for it to load and I'm hoping the plot isn't as apparent as the heir apparently is.

Well we all know who was behind this post...

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. If I said prayers I would put you in them

oh, right, i'll just jog down to wal-mart and pick up a six-pack of friends, "editor" flavor!

>125000
>300 Pages
More like 500

>125000 words

If your name isn't Dumas or Dostoyevsky, get the fuck out.

She's been writing it since 4th grade, I believe.

Oh the horror

Okay, I finished reading/editing chapter 1. It's about a pretty princess who wants to press her claim to the throne. She saves the life of a grown man. (and seasoned soldier who had walked himself through a desert almost to his death) The he recovers and challenges her to a duel, which she wins despite having literally no training or experience with the type of weapon she was using. The novel's fan fiction tier desu

>It's called Icara's Tale: Heir Apparent
Oh boy

That was me

Were any of them Australian?

If so, I think we've found your problem.

>The he recovers and challenges her to a duel, which she wins despite having literally no training or experience with the type of weapon she was using.
OP explain yourself

Roll with online friends then, I found two published guys from Veeky Forums alone and wasn't even actively looking. It shouldn't be that hard to find couple literate people, who you befriend and ask for help. Alternatively pay somebody if you're 100% certain that editing is all you need.

It's not that many, probably around 500 pages as another user mentioned, which is the upper limit for high fantasy debut it appears to be.

>The he recovers and challenges her to a duel,
B-but why?

>which she wins despite having literally no training or experience with the type of weapon she was using.
Perhaps she had experience with a similar weapon? Besides, if the guy was half dead and tired and she has some combat experience … maybe.

You are particularly sociable.

>Perhaps she had experience with a similar weapon? Besides, if the guy was half dead and tired and she has some combat experience … maybe.
Doesn't matter. If you're trying to come up with ways in which something would make sense, the author's failed.

Well, maybe it's hinted in the text but the user who read it missed the part.

OP should just link the first 2-3 pages here.

Left for a while, but I'm back now.

She wins the move cause it's more of a test duel on his part, then she surprises him and gets her pinned. In all likelyhood, he could've probably won it even after she did, but the point of the duel for him wasn't to kill her or anything.

There's a thing just a few pages later where she figures out he was just fucking with her.

>Implying I would befriend an Aussie

It says 300 in google docs, but then again I'm not double spacing or anything.

>She

>Perhaps she had experience with a similar weapon?
She's using a weapon with "thick steel and a jagged blade" it's length isn't mentioned. She's only Trained with a rapier.

He seemed to have made a full recovery in the two minutes after collapsing from exhaustion and challenging Icarus to a duel.

The fight has him put a knife to her throat than she kicks him in the stomache causing him to loosen his grip on her neck or something.

Oh, and than she makes him a knight. 5 minutes after she held a knife to his throat.

>B-but why?
Because she's mad at him because he said he hasn't met a noble that treated people as anything but tools. Than she has him swear fealty to her not 30 2 pages later.

>She
Sorry, I had to assume that only a girl would think a malnourished exslave girl can lift a muscular man wearing full plate armor, while in a desert in at least 90 degree weather.

(I love the book though, I'll start looking at chapter 2 after I manage to fall asleep, which I've been havong trouble doing)

>point of the duel for him wasn't to kill her or anything
Yea he just held a his sword to her throat for giggles.

I was actually thinking of more of a Conan type depiction of a former slave type thing. The next time she's seen outside of her armor, the people she's with remark at how jacked she is.

And about the dragging the knight thing, I figured if he was wearing traditional style steel plate minus a helmet, that it would total in at like 35-40 pounds, and he himself would be more around 200 pounds, so that sounded reasonable to me.

>She wins the move cause it's more of a test duel on his part, then she surprises him and gets her pinned.
Meh, as a scene so early it seems suboptimal. The reader couldn't give any lesser fucks about the characters at start, having them fight over a silly reason (that isn't silly enough to be comical) sounds pretty off-putting and I don't see how it advances the draw to the story. (At least that's my perspective without reading the actual work)

>He seemed to have made a full recovery in the two minutes
Well, if the SEEMED was implied by her, it can work I guess, specially given that the guy never meant to kill her.

>he said he hasn't met a noble that treated people as anything but tools.
>Oh, and than she makes him a knight. 5 minutes after she held a knife to his throat.
Kek.

As for the lifting him up, should be doable with the right technique, specially if she's ripped.

In a sandy desert though? It'd be so difficult.

I haven't read Chapter 2 yet, but I feel an introduction to the character of Icarus would be beneficial. You open in a desert, and she's just kinda chillin. Than she sees a guy fall and says I'll go help him. Then she says, "I'm a princess my Kingdom was stolen from me at birth. And to make matters worse I was taken into slavery."
Literally
>To make matters worse I was taken into slavery
She tells that to some dude before she knows his name
I guess if she's jacked as fuck.
Also checked

OP did say she was jacked. And to be honest sand should make it easier to drag him around. If anything that combined with her being a muscular woman should get the knight across the dessert.
I agree actually. If she's ripped enough for it to be noticeable then she could easily carry 240 pounds across a dessert. If she was a labour slave that is.

And as for the swearing of the knight, there's really nothing wrong with that. If someone is no longer loyal to a form of royalty, they are pretty much a loose cannon. The author making it happen rather quickly is just adding heat and excitement to the moment. They are on edge and aren't hesitant to fight one another. A really good thing to put at the beginning.

From what I'm seeing, OPs book makes sense so far m8

>specially if she's ripped.

>princess is a roided freak with an 8-pack wearing a super tight tiny pink dress showing off thunderous calves and bulging biceps because the King has lost his mind and thinks she's still 8 years old

>“You’re a good fighter, I would be honored to swear you in as a knight,” Icara said before looking down and to the right. “If I know how, that is,” she said in an embarrassed mumble.
Then he tells her how to knight him. I guess it's not bad, but I think it all happens way too fast.

As long as OP made it exciting which he did, it's really not too fast. Two tragic situations run into eachother in the dessert, they don't know what to do, pretty much hungry and exhausted not to mention irritable from the heat... I would be surprised if they didn't fight. I don't understand why some of the other Anons don't get this. This is a pretty damn interesting beginning if you ask me.

Maybe you write garbage and people can't read more than a few chapters of that piece of shit you call a "novel".

Idk what you're talking about this story seems really good and sensible so far.

Not often, but it does happen. Particularly it's sometimes easy to read a page, note down three edits that need to be made along the way, and when you reach the end and actually start revising, you only remember two of them. It's also easy for your brain to fill in what's supposed to happen when you already know the scene because you wrote it, and to fail to notice the omission of key details. It can be really hard to force yourself to take in only the details actually on the page and not fill in the gaps with the ones you remember from when you were making it up.

Surely you edit one chapter at the time

>Icara's Tale: Heir Apparent
Holy shit OP, are you Aaron and/or Allen? On Veeky Forums??

>If she's ripped enough for it to be noticeable then she could easily carry 240 pounds across a dessert.

If by ripped you mean she's the Hulk, then maybe. There's a pretty big difference between a mass being possible to lift and actually carrying it for a distance. Even a light load will start to feel like hell after a mile or two. On a desert, no less.

Actually, the sand would make it a lot easier to drag. She doesn't have to be the hulk to do it to be quite frank.

If you're only going downhill, maybe.
Why does it feel like I'm talking to people who have never left their house?

It'd be like sliding shit over logs, it's easier.

Have you ever had to drag shit over sand before?

Dude listen. Sand makes it easier to drag things around. It's not a solid surface that can glide along with the thing in question being dragged. Sand is almost like a weird lubricant if you really think about it.

>Sand is almost like a weird lubricant if you really think about it.
Yes, and that makes it harder to apply force against it efficiently with your legs to move the body in the first place
It's like you've never drawn a FBD of bodydragging before

Dude, you'd be in the sand yourself, dragging yourself, on top of the knight in the fucking armor. It's fucking impossible. It's not like you just pick him up and start surfing

But you could pull a person through if they planted their feet and pulled the person. It might take a little longer, but it's definitely possible.

This offers even less force than pulling with your legs desu