What are you reading rn Veeky Forums?

What are you reading rn Veeky Forums?
Pic related, I'm a little over halfway finished.

how is it? everyone here always says it's terrible

>Aomame spends an entire fall locked in an apartment, where the book becomes her only entertainment. Aomame's days are spent eating, sleeping, working out, staring off the balcony to the city below and the moon above, and slowly reading through Lost Time.

is it as comfy as it sounds?

It's been a while since I've read a book. So, I just want to read a classic that's funny and enjoyable the whole way through.

His writing always seems absurdly simple.

It's like he took Orwell's rule of writing too literally. It's like the 'Simple English' Wikipedia in book form.

Maybe it's just the translators, but Japanese never seems to lend itself very well to the elaborate writing/vocabulary that I like.

Some cute girl at work said it was good, is that true or is it just chick-lit?

No.

pic related when I'm at home; I'm about 3/4 done it. I'm also reading Scarlet and Black by Stendhal at work. This whole realism thing aint that bad really. Last book I read was Wetherer and I was really hoping for something like that from Stendhal (mind you I had never even heard of him before the dude at the bookshop recommended him to me) but I really, really, enjoy what I'm getting instead.

I realize now that most people would know the book as "The Red and the Black" but my version says Scarlet and Black. iunno blame penguin

Ring by Koji Suzuki

I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Just finished this. Is it good?

Almost at the middle including the preface and translator's notes.

>just finished this
>is it good
What did he mean by this?

I can only assume that it's a commentary on Veeky Forums's culture, i.e.: people who don't read books know more about them than the people who actually read them. Alternatively: he didn't understand it, and seeks justification from the hive-mind

I'm re-reading all of Jack Ryan right now.
Currently at pic related, little over halfway through.

reading this atm

It's fucking shit. Read it for the weird and easy to read story nut not the ending - literally nothing is resolved, I dropped murakami straight after 1Q84

Nooo, it's his style.
I've read some of it in Japanese and in Japanese he has an almost... stilted writing style. So it just becomes really simple in english.
I still like it.

Journey to the End of the Night and Min Kamp 1.

Journey has been very somber and grim so far, but also oddly comfy. And Céline's language is surprisingly modern for a book from 1932. If I hurry up, I might even finish it in time for Céline's would-be anniversary next week.

Knausgård's prose is neat and charming, but I am still uncertain about reading all 5 books.
On topic, does anyone know if the sixth book is already being translated into English?

I like it a lot, actually.
parts are comfy, others are more emotionally heavy. It's very interesting. But there are 11/10 comfy parts
It kind of is, but I don't mind it too much. It's a nice break from flowery types.
Not chic-lit, and I've read chic-lit.

I was really impressed with how there were easy clichés that murakami could have taken, but has so far avoided (I'm 650/1100 pages)

>just finished this
>is it good
>What did he mean by this?
What did he mean by this?

murakami is middlebrow, pretentious as fuck and very easy to read with rather clumsy magical realism or sf scenes

op here
this desu

Also The Big Sleep

Reading the Oedipus Cycle and Dickinson's complete poems.

I read Oedipus in high school but I don't remember much of it; it's really good, and I wish I had reread it before reading Fates and Furies. F&F is a mediocre novel but it referenced Oedipus a lot so it might have been more interesting if the cycle had been fresh on my mind. Although nothing could have save "Go" from being unintentionally hilarious garbage.

Dickinson is pretty neat but not really my thing. I've only read maybe fifty pages of the hundreds in the volume but it hasn't really clicked with me yet so I can't get too motivated to read it quickly. Artistically it's interesting but emotionally it isn't tickling me.

I haven't heard anything but I'm sure it is. If you look at the English publication dates they're always about a year apart. So hopefully in about a year from now?

Or you could just stop being lazy and learn Norwegian

it's his second worst.

read euripides now, although a controversial opinion i think he's the best of the greek tragedians. i would recommend both iphigenias, helen, electra and bacchae.

Read Oxen of the Sun today. Personally I found its difficulty pretty overhyped. The first 1/4 or 1/3 or so were rough but after that, and with dictionary at hand, it wasn't too bad. I didn't expect the chapter to be so funny either. A lot of the book has been pretty funny which I didn't really expect going in, particularly Cyclops and in Nausicaa when Bloom realizes Gerty is lame. That had me laughing really hard. Really looking forward to the rest of the book.

Favorite chapters, anons? For me so far it's a toss up between Hades and Cyclops.

bump for dead thread

honestly the dragon age core rulebook for the tabletop rpg game.

it's fun. I'm hoping to play with friends but it's doubtful they'd be interested. I used to play d&d in middle/high school. I miss it.

Ohoho man, just wait till you get to Circe. That episode is what will make you a true devotee. And yeah, Oxen of the Sun is not impossible to read past the first few pages (the ending, however, was very difficult for me at least), but the sheer work that must have gone into it is the most impressive out of any episode, in my opinion.

Sino-Hungarian literature collection II.(pic related)

Notes from the Underground

Heidegger - What is Metaphysics?

Finally getting his fucked up vocab down somewhat. I think I prefer this guy to Neechee.

Tell us about Knausgaard. Is he worth the hype? Is he really a modern Proust?

Pic related, getting into reading books in english, little over halfway through but I'm really lazy and get distracted easily while reading. Also it bothers me that Hemingway translates the spanish phrases in the same sentence as they are said. It's fucking basic spanish, the translation is unnecessary, it feels as if the character is saying it twice. I obscenity in Hemingway's idiot ass

Joyce is a prose genius. It saddens me that he wrote smut more lyrical than anything I will ever produce.

Finally decided to start reading through this thing so I can better understand most of the European culture, literature and philosophy.

i didnt even bump it
im surprised it's still around desu
>tfw read the bible several times over
It's okay, but more meaningful if you're religious obviously. If you aren't religious (or even spiritually minded), then enjoy becoming a fedora
>High school
>all my friends are enjoying euphoric atheism
>tell them I'm religious
>"richard dawkins said that the only book that should convince people to be atheist is the Bible"
>ask if they've read the bible
>"no man that shit is dumb hahaha"
>tfw lit is the same about every other book but the bible

I am an atheist but not a mindless retard, I understand the role and importance of religions and I'll never become a fedora STEM faggot.

That is one fine book. The end of Part I got me really emotional for some reason. I think Joyce captured all the simple joys of childhood so well.

have you read the Bible?

I actually have read that and yes it is good.

I have a soft spot for Nausicaa, even though it is Joyce parodying shitty romance lit
>tfw Joyce writes parodies better than I write genuinely

My favorite episode is probably Ithaca. It initially seemed really anticlimactic and frustrating to me, but after going through it again and actually picking apart what's happening and what it means, it has a lot to offer that's not immediately apparent. Eumeaus and Proteus are also up there for me. I wish I liked Oxen more, but it's a real tough read for me, and I'd be lying if I didnt let out an exhale after I flipped its last page.

It's ignorant to say that Joyce is not the best writer of the English language.

I just finished Suspended Sentences by Modiano.

I just bought pic related, but was thinking about reading Woodcutters next instead.

Loving this so far.

Throw out Zero K, it belongs in the trash.

Some tards here almost convinced me this was conspiracy shit because it's sold on the infowars store

nothing conspiracy like in it

For the past few weeks I've been reading Dune, and I picked up The Sword in the Stone about a week and a half ago. Usually despite being a NEET (for now) I spend most of my time doing things other than reading, but late last night/early this morning I picked up The Old Man and the Sea and read it in one sitting. Was comfy as f. Santiago made me pretty envious of his virtue of being able to endure and complete such a humongous task despite all the odds against him, all with the power of man's will. It was pretty inspiring for me to read... maybe it will give me the final kick in the pants I need to get a job and such.

Sorry for my diary.

That's all well and good but..

how did you like Dune?

I'm really in love with this book

I really like it so far. I tried to read it when I was in high school, and got pretty far too, but I never finished it. I'm almost at the part where I left off, I think about 70% of the way through the book. Eh, when I was 16 I didn't fully understand all the themes and the plot anyways. I really like it now tho and have already bought the first two sequels.

Keep reading it. It's my favourite book ever

That's what I like about Cormac Mcarthy, I don't speak Spanish but it's far more authentic when foreign characters speak and you don't understand a word they say.

The fedora meme is unfortunate. A lot of the images that circulated when it was at its height were forgeries. Atheism, so far as I could tell, had nothing to do with fedoras. But the "STEM" attitude, sure, that was real enough. Just as the insane Bible Belt christian is real enough. Each are obnoxious in their way, neither is a good representative of his side of the theological question.

It's doubly sad that many people have decided that the most offensive quality of each is that they are pugnacious. I think our society would be healthier if people quarreled about religion on the street more often. I think the snobbishness and quiet on each side is what's really the problem—the atheists who won't really make a big deal about being atheists, but quietly think of the religious as repressed and neurotic, and the christians who won't really make a fuss about being religious but think that atheists are immoral, opinionated, attention-seeking, etc. I'd like to see less of that and more of theists and atheists yelling at each other on street-corners.

currently finishing up reading Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos. amazing novel. next up: either V. by Pynchon (the only one i've yet to read), Infinite Jest, or King, Queen, Knave by Nabokov.

>I obscenity in the milk
This is the only book I've read that I prefer the Spanish translation to the original. In the translation they use the original and intended "I shit on the milk", or "I shit on the virgin" and not that retarded I obscenity in the whatever.

I chose to read it in English because Hemingway, but every time I read the dialogue I have the urge to read it in spanish, and yeah the retarded "obscenity" shit takes me off it real bad, for being the "machoest macho man" Hemingway certainly was a pussy for not including swearing. Español lengua maestra

German authors are pretti gud imo

Reading Mishima's The Temple of the Golden Pavilion. I like it so far. The stuttering description was great, spot on.

this book is a series of shitposts and I'm enjoying it