Learn these languages: Ancient Greek, Latin, Spanish, French

Learn these languages: Ancient Greek, Latin, Spanish, French.

Afterwards, you may come and seek me. For these languages are the key to liberation.

Cupio dissolvi.

>Spanish
No thanks

Spanish is the second world language behind English and the second most common language in the USA. We occasionally have threads here for Spanish-users. You have access to original translations of Don Quixote, often considered among the greatest novels, magical realism, like One Hundred Days of Solitude and Borges's stories. Learning Spanish would render Italian as an easy language to learn afterward. Italian has a lot of great works, like The Divine Comedy. Spanish is one of the easiest languages for English natives to learn, and girls dig guys who can speak a foreign language. The language opens many jobs too. Why wouldn't you want to learn Spanish?

>original translations

Mind to paper.

Spanish and "Latin American" literature are garbage. By your argument we should all learn Chinese and Hindi because they have the Tao te ching and the Bhagavad Gita and a trillion people living there. No thanks.

Also, Greek and Latin are a complete waste of time. Modern literature is better in every way.

>Also, Greek and Latin are a complete waste of time. Modern literature is better in every way.
hahahahahAHAHAHA

>Spanish and "Latin American" literature are garbage.

lmao what a pleb

>>Better
Top kek m8. Since most anons will never leave their basements, the ability to speak their target language should be secondary to available media in the language. In this case Latin and Greek are pretty close to numbers 1 and 2 which would definitely be German and then French.

Second tier would be languages with good periods of works, but little consistency like Italian, Japanese, Sandskrit and Dutch.

Then come languages with poor rationalities for inclusion, but many speakers, or which have only a good era or two: Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic.

It is widely accepted that Scandinavian languages are actually improved by translation.

I have much to teach you, child

Why learn Greek or Latin?
>many jobs
I only have time for one.
>great works
An English translation should suffice.
>girls dig foreign languages
Girls would much rather have a muscular frame over a musky voice.
>Italian would be easier
Why learn Italian?
>Why wouldn't you want to learn Spanish?
Because I'm an introvert.

undergrad pseud detected

>Spanish
>not German

Chinese is at least Latin and Greek-tier

"Chinese" is a family of languages, which aren't even close to the Romance languages + Latin. You could make a case for Classical Chinese, but definitely not any modern dialect.

Obviously I mean Classical Chinese. That's why I compared it to Latin and Greek, durr

>spanish
get out of here sombrerofag

>Scandinavian languages are actually improved by translation
How? I know the ice stunts their intelligence but this seems unfair

B U I L D W A L L
U......................L
I.......................A
L......................W
D......................D
W......................L
A.......................I
L.......................U
L L A W D L I U B

Greek for Plato, Aristotle, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides (three of the best playwrights), Sappho, Homer, Hesiod (three excellent poets), Xenophon, Herodotus, etc, etc

Not to mention every other philosopher and interesting person who wrote in Greek.

Latin is less interesting but more relevant to the canon. Ovid, Plutarch, Virgil, Augustine, Cicero.

If you're going to name three Greek poets, obviously Pindar has to be one of them

>spanish
jajaja

>implying I haven't studied Greek and Latin.
There is literally no use in studying the language unless you are reading its poetry and want to "enjoy" the work in its original meter.

Prove me wrong, mate. I've read Don Q., that Columbian guy, and the coneheads Borges and Vallejo. Second rate shit.

I think you are one of the few anons who's said something agreeable about foreign languages and literature. I constantly see knuckle-draggers talking about how they want to read Dostoevsky in the original language. Why on earth would someone study a foreign language to read a single author, let alone such a barren tradition of literature? The only point I would argue with you on is switching German and French, but that's just personal preference in terms of literature. I prefer German as a language, but I think there is a greater quantity of good French writers. Nonetheless, I'm start to split hairs with that distinction because German literature and philosophy is God-tier with American, English, and French.

Can you show me how to get rich quick and live to be a hundred?

Isn't Pindar jock jams?

How on Earth is this comment relevant to literature?

Spanish? For literature? Better off learning German.

Honestly English, French, German, and the basics of Latin and Greek are all you need.