How are the sequels?

how are the sequels?

unnecessary

I liked Messiah a lot.
But if you do read the second book you need to read the third and forth.
The first and forth are ebin XD

Why, don't tell me they're fedora-tier, are they?

The first book is a pretty decent coming of age story, which if you're a young man, probably has a lot of lessons about family, and society etc. to impart to you.

Everything after is basically fanfiction based off the first book. Regardless of what anyone says, the 4th book is absolutely terrible and horrifically cringe-worthy. Imagine if Anakin and Padme's romance scenes from the prequel trilogy were recreated with a giant worm in Anakin's place. That's pretty much what it is.

this poster is right though, if you read the second one you will be compelled to read the third, because the second basically ends on a cliff hanger.

Dune and God Emperor of Dune are the only two books in the series that have literary value. The rest is decent but ultimately drab sci-fi. But 2/3 are necessary to understand 4.

Second is good, although not great as the first. They get steadily worse.

>I liked Messiah a lot.

Me too. I found it just as enjoyable as the original, and it being shorter didn't hurt either.

That being said, I kinda burned out after that and moved onto other stuff.

"Children of Dune" remains on my bookshelf, as yet unread.

For anyone whose read the rest of the Dune books, do they elaborate on Muad'Dib's galactic Jihad or does that just get thrown by the wayside for all the spiritual shit?

They are all good, Herbert had a huge scope and I appreciated them all just for that alone. The last too could've been good if he had stayed around long enough to make it worth going through all the other books

Holy shit, I didn't know the depths of Brian's selling out his father's work.

That's fucking depressing.

I liked the part where he wrote about Leto II getting an erection when the sandtrout were adhering to him.

1st 2 sequels are worth a read, to be honest. After that it descends into pointless old man sex fantasies straight out of Frank Herbert's spank bank. And his son's books are boring,

>an entire book about Bijaz
kek

I finished reading God emperor a few weeks ago after decades of postponing it and decided to come here to see what you guys thought about it. Why do you guys like it so much? It was terrible, the romance felt forced and cringe worthy, the characters unlikable, nothing really happens beyond long winded inner monologues that lead nowhere most of the time. This comes from someone who grew up loving the first three, I'm even liking heretics so far. So tell me how was God emperor a master piece because I don't get it.

because it was different lmao

but on the real I loved all the books in the series. if you like the first 2 you will like the rest of them. my only complaint is that the last one ends and he fucking died and you have no idea how the goddamn series was supposed to end. what were those 2 old people up too god fucking dammit!!!!

I like the harkonnen, is the book worth reading?

nah man none of those other books by his son are worth reading.

The House series is alright. They show a lot of most of the characters that were killed off in the first book/didn't get a whole lot of development, mostly the Harkonnens and the Corrinos. Story-wise, it's all political drama and no crazy religious stuff. Whole lot better than the stuff his son writes later on.

I don't understand something tho, if the tleilaxu were religious fanatics all along and believes Leto In to be their prophet why did they constantly try to fuck their shit at every turn? Why undermine their God? Was this ever explained?

Even if you have never read a Dune book, the plot synopsis of the latest Dune novel written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson should be enough to get your blood boiling:

Sandworms picks up where Hunters left off: The no-ship Ithaca is still searching for a new homeworld for the Jews and Bene Gesserit, while Duncan evades the tachyon net of the old couple, now known to be Omnius and Erasmus. In the Old Empire, Murbella attempts to rally human kind for a last stand against the Thinking Machines. The New Face Dancers continue to infiltrate the main organizations of the Old Empire at all levels, having also sent the gholas of the Baron Harkonnen and young Paolo Atreides to Omnius' capital, Synchrony.

Brian Herbert has not just tarnished his father's legacy, he has ridden atop a burning money train straight down the gullet of his father's dessicated corpse, exploding it in a shower of creepy sex scenes and lame multi-page descriptions of giant robots fighting. Burn in hell forever, Brian Herbert. I hope you slip and fall in that new bathroom.
- Zack Parsons

>the Jews

wut

>having also sent the gholas of the Baron Harkonnen and young Paolo Atreides
i wonder if baron tried to seduce paul...

He is a carnivore, ever hungry.

creepy sex scenes isn't a criticism because this is consistent with Herbert who wrote half of God Emperor of Dune with his hand on his cock, Balzac style.

the jews appear in Chapterhouse Dune.

>The Jews

There are Jews in the Dune universe?

I thought it was just "lol Muslims in space"

I dropped the series after Messiah, is Children any good?

like I said. if you liked the first 2 you will like the rest. but be aware, I loved the first 2. I thought the 2nd one was fucking amazing. each one is so different and so much time passes after each book. Dune goes from a desert to a tropical oasis and back to a desert again and a million years has passed by the time you get to the end.

I thought Messiah/Children were better. I think people mostly like it because it's an ambitious concept even if he execution is shaky. Also as weird as Leto's crush on Hwi was he hadn't gotten laid in thousands of years (ever?). How would you deal with your sexuality as an immortal abomination if it was still just you under all the weird sandworm shit? Like I said, interesting concept at least.

It doesn't get thrown by the wayside but it's only mentioned in passing. You know how at the end of Messiah Paul is an old man wandering off into the desert to die despite all he's accomplished in Dune? In God-Emperor so much time has passed that anything Paul did is of interest only as trivia for how Leto II, humanity's new God came about.

that's how I saw it. fuck what ever shape he was. nigga still human on the inside. why don't girls like me.

They all are as far as I'm concerned. Except God emperor and the shit Herbert's son writes.

Honestly they bored me half to death. I like to think that the series ended after Dune.

>You know how at the end of Messiah Paul is an old man wandering off into the desert to die despite all he's accomplished in Dune?

he is not really old, maximum middle-aged, he suicides because he got tired to use his prediction, especially since he used it instead of his vision for some time after a terrorist attack blinded him, and he for some reason refused to use mechanical eyes... also that part about walking in the desert always seemed hackish to me, like how it could be a traditional way of dealing with blind people in their society when it's explicitly shown in the first book how much they valued the water of a person's body, certainly it would be a huge waste of water for them to let blind people go die in the desert

anyway i disliked the dune past its 1st book, it had too many crappy ideas to my taste (omg, those sandniggers live in the harsh conditions and so they are super soldiers etc) and was mediocre as a sf overall

sexual urge largely depends on your hormones, it's not cerebral

The "House" trilogy is pretty good actually, it's the first thing they wrote after his death while the respect was still a thing.

just.... just don't.

keep reading, fucko.

just reading dune now
why is the prose so shit

It's not 'pretty good', it's just incredibly mediocre which looks good compared to the other abominations.

because it's Sci fi. no Sci fi has good prose you dumbass.

The prose is functional and has some really good moments if you look past the "le euphony is all there is to prose" meme.

Herbert handles multiple POVs in a very seamless way that's quite impressive, comparing to more recent authors that are considerably clunky in their execution.

Nah, it's been a couple years since I finished Messiah, and I'd have to go back and re-absorb everything to even know what the fuck is going on in Children or remember it's references.

I'm halfway through the Foundation novels, think I'll stick with that, thank you very much.

>Planet that is literally the Middle East

>Space Muslims ruining the universe for whitey

Sounds like a nightmare. Will not read.

I think Asimov's prose is excellent. Not ornate, but clear and readable.

Umm you have it ass-backwards. Whitey AND the Muslim empire are both 'bad guys' in dune. Paul sides with and leads the pre-Muslim, tribal Arab resistance.

reading Dune right now for the first time
shit is way too claustrophobic for me

i read a book about a big ass sand planet with bigass worms and badass sand niggers and what i get is a bunch of stuffy bankers and generals talking about strategy in boring palaces

if i wanted to read something sober and political like this i would read historical fiction or tolstoy that actually has some literary merit and comments on the real world instead of masturbating over 'worldbuilding' that exists entirely within a vacuum

what is this shit, and when does it turn into a metal song and become about cool sandbandits raping and pillaging and being chased by big worms

halfway you fucking dumbass. jesus christ. your reading the intro to a series that's 6 books long. you have to set up the galaxy at some point. fucking moron. the series covers a million years or more. Dune #1 is literally an intro. not much happens desu.

dune comments on the real world plenty

examine the dichotomy established between the spacing guild and bene gesserit and understand how Paul bridges the gap and outshines the both of them.

also the entire point of the book is a commentary on the real world, spice = oil fremen = arabs, jesus.

>also the entire point of the book is a commentary on the real world, spice = oil fremen = arabs, jesus.

empire = usa
the house of harkonnens are evil russians

:^)

D U N C A N I D A H O
D U N C A N I D A H O

pls be on

a r r a c i s
a
r
r
a
c
i
s

oh, right, because we all face the problem of how to deal with a post-AI society where computers are illegal and everyone fights with knives because Holtzman shields. also the price of Melange today is fucking abysmal.

how bout demagogues, genius

right. because Donald Trump can see into the future. and he controls the spice. and he is the Kwisatz Haderach, and his mum was a very poor immigrant from Gamont.

You sound like someone who cant look past the face value of a thing to see its deeper qualities.

i.e. someone who cant read.