What do

Before someone sages this and the mods remove it can someone please advise me really quickly, I feel as though I'm overlooking large swathes of commonsensical thought that I would have undergone by now if not for how infatuated I am

I want this jumper so fucking badly, but at the same time another train of my thought finds it slightly cringey, and most importantly, I don't want anyone knowing that this is a thing and that it is being sold by the school of life to identify me IRL and think I'm a hack

what do

just buy a plain black jumper somewhere else?

I'm in a similar situation, but with black turtle necks and a beret

>he doesnt know where to buy a black sweater that isnt 130 dollars
jesus fuck i hate this website

Are you dumb?

>random philosopher buys a cheap black jumper, probably because he's cold.
>now the hipster-tier meme $150 starting.

do you also buy $90 black t-shirts and $200 faded jeans?

go to target, buy a $10 black jumper.

You are either trolling or stupid as fuck.

If you're trolling, fuck you.

If you're stupid as fuck, fuck you, you can literally google "mens black jumper" and find the same fucking thing at H&M for £14.99.

Now, stop fucking posting this goddamn thread.

fucking plebs

lol

>they mention a bunch of authors, that means it's worth £100 more!

You are too stupid to live.

not saying he should buy that because it's probably not worth it but the alternative is not buying trash clothes from trash retailers

The item is not significant for its design, but for how much one pays for it. The sacrifice itself is what separates the layman from the thinking man.

>The sacrifice itself is what separates the layman from the thinking man
1) the only "sacrifice" is your money
2) there is no separation other than the one in your own head because a. no one will care b. if you tell people you bought a 125 dollar black sweater just to stand out youll get laughed at and look even stupider then you obviously already are

itt: Veeky Forums meets Veeky Forums

sage

nowhere outside the poverty stricken corners of America (read: the entirety of that spiritual wasteland) would it be uncommon to spend that much for a sweater

>The sacrifice itself is what separates the layman from the thinking man.

yes, because no thinking man would be stupid enough to waste so much money on something this meaningless.

Of course not. But hes implying that he will somehow be set apart for doing so. Either no one will even know or he plans on using this purchase as a talking point and expects praise. Also spending 125 dollars on a black sweater is incredibly stupid and anyone that has a shred of knowledge knows that, even someone that has and is willing to spend money on clothes.

>Also spending 125 dollars on a black sweater is incredibly stupid
not really
that's pretty much the minimum you have to spend if you want decent wool

It's not $125. It's $181.

It's $181, not $125.

And no, you can get a merino wool sweater of equal quality for $40. You are paying an extra $140 for the Bella Freud "brand".

Ok thats wool. Thats a cotton jumper in the OP. Go to Uniqlo and get one for 30 dollars and it looks fine. Hell if that doesnt convince you, you can drop 80 and get one from a meme designer like Alex Wang or someshit

>You are paying an extra $140 for the Bella Freud "brand".
you have no idea how clothing retail works
I have uniqlo jumpers
yes they look fine but the quality isn't there

The quality is exactly the same for the Bella Freud sweater, trust me. They use the same sweatshops in south asia.

Well I tried. Its your prerogative friend. If you must defend an almost 200 dollar black sweater, at least dont advocate or buy this one. The branding is lame and its something a trustfund tumblr baby that just read camus would buy. At least get something from an actual designer like Helmut Lang or Raf

Never buy "designer" clothes - period.

I literally said he shouldn't buy this
even if the quality was up to par you shouldn't be sending your money to the School of Life anyway
not true

Oh. Carry on.
I also didnt know this was a School Of Life item. OP is even lamer now.

>not true
It absolutely is true. "Designer" clothes are a scam. They are made with the same shit materials in the same shit factories.

There are loads of exceptions to that though. Hermès stuff is all made in France or Italy. Many high end suits and such are made in the US and Canada. A huge selling point of Patagonia and Canada Goose is that they're made in North America.

>They are made with the same shit materials in the same shit factories.
not even close to true you dumb fuck
a tiny glance at the labels will tell you where it's made, if it's actually a decent designer 99% of the time it will be made in the US or Europe
stop wearing mediocrity like a badge of honour

Whatever you can get from a high-end "designer" (who, in reality, is often just a reseller) you can get much cheaper by buying directly from the maker. (I'm talking about designer brands like Ralph Lauren Purple Label, not Patagonia.) And if you can afford it, your best bet is to avoid OTR altogether and form a relationship with a good tailor.

Again, there will be a huge markup to subsidize the advertising budget. Always avoid "designer" clothes - they're a ripoff.

the factory does not own the patterns or materials, the designer does
you can get the same labour quality, that's it
tailors are good at making suits, there's a lot of fashion outside of that

You're the dumbfuck buying off-the-rack like a filthy pleb.

Nope, wrong. The designer label just resells.

H&M and Target advertise far more than most designer brands
no

You're clueless.

I can guarantee I know far more about designer fashion than you

OTR and made-to-measure clothes are made in the same factory by the same people. The only way you're going to get clothes made any other way is by going full bespoke, which is what everyone would do if it weren't very very expensive.

If I walk into J. Press, Drinkwater's, or Brooks Brothers right now and ask for a made to measure suit, that good tailor you speak of will take my measurements and then send them off to Southwick or Martin Greenfield where the factory will build a suit according to the shop's design and material specifications with my measurements on the pattern.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

That fact that you think there is anything worth knowing about "designer fashion" other than to avoid it tells me you're a rube and a dupe.

hey, let's be fair: he could also be a con-man.

can you tell me where the scam part comes in?

What on earth are you trying to say? Yes, if you can't afford bespoke, you can do m2m via your tailor plus Southwick. That's the whole fucking point. Southwick is not a "designer brand" like Prada, Versace, Armani, etc. I'm talking about the idiots who go into Barneys and buy an expensive off-the-rack designer item and think they are buying quality. They're not.

post fit

>armani
>designer

You can get all those suits at Barneys made to measure though. Fashion is about intellectual property in the design, not some overblown fixation on value for money.

thats exactly what it is you drooling imbecile

>You can get all those suits at Barneys made to measure though
And yet none of them will compare to something from Savile Row

>intellectual property in the design
Yeah, that's a bunch of consumer capitalist nonsense. The "design" of your clothes shouldn't be changing dramatically. Sure, lapel widths shrink and grow with the times - that's all configurable. The only thing that really matters is the quality of materials and the quality of construction. These are the eternal virtues.

>none of them will compare to something that cost 3x as much
No kidding

>no kidding
fuck you

my point is thats not considered "designer" and the thing that costs 3x less yet is drooled over by proles is considered some sort of status symbol because of le intellectual property

Considering I shop at J. Press, the Andover Shop, Brooks Brothers and Drinkwaters, I obviously take the same approach to my own style, but I don't think that's some universal best practice.

and by the way they don't cost 3x more

theyre marginally more expensive, not even twice as much

Bespoke is actually cheaper than some OTR "designer" suits, believe it or not. That's how fucked people are nowadays.

are you implying that a Savile Row suit is not a status symbol?
the idea of designer clothes being a status symbol is a distinctly American ideology anyway, in Europe and East Asia it is normal for people of all classes to buy designer clothes

Lmao this thread reads like a page of American Psycho. I have never even heard of half of these brands. Let me guess. You guys are the same faggots who post in the book shelf threads? Now that you're all here if you could all kill yourselves that would be great.

>the idea of designer clothes being a status symbol is a distinctly American ideology anyway

It's associated in ALL countries with LOW-CLASS people and fashion victims who don't know what the fuck they are doing.

>in Europe and East Asia it is normal for people of all classes to buy designer clothes

Well-bred people do not buy designer brands anywhere. It's for the proles with money to burn.

i wait for jcrew factory to go on sale

plus i use my coupons and store card rewards

more than half off defective / old shit, and i don't even have to leave my house

ridiculous justification of your own poverty

Define "designer."
You're right that things with visible branding are for losers.

J. Crew factory stuff isn't old or defective mainline J. Crew. It's a completely different set of goods built to be sold at an outlet price points. Same with Brooks Brothers outlet stuff.

Real factory outlets are getting rare now.

Oh wow we've got a big bad middle class fellow here. He can afford Ralph Lauren Polo and everything!

I'm referring to brands like Prada that do runway shows, etc.

I'm not talking about actual quality vendors like Vitale Barberis Canonico.

Eh, they're generally style over substance but there are still some styles that stick in the upper-class wardrobe. Gucci loafers are an example of this. Hermes scarves and bags have done this too but I consider Hermes somewhat unique in the field of global luxury brands.

>I know how rich people dress and you don't
you know how old Jews and WASPs dress
again, the American approach is unique

great thread guys

Buy it. If philosophy has taught you something then you shouldn't have hesitated to give 'School of Life' your hard earned money.

I'm a rich WASP and this is what I've observed. I don't really care what European royalty and Turkish cab moguls do.

there's a sucker born every second

more like

itt: pathetic coddled babby who wants to look smrt is willing to pay 150 for functional black shirt

In case you were too much of a fucking idiot to look at the image (you were), you would notice the price is written in pounds, so this is some British cuck wanting to buy intelligence

Refer to Botton's Status Anxiety chapter on bohemians and you won't buy his overpriced clothes

>wearing anything but suits
Child

I fucking hate this board

Hahahha I bet you go to the fucking grocery store in an ill fitting suit loser