Is belief a choice?

Is belief a choice?

I really hate racists with an unimaginable level of bile, the kind literally involves extended murder fantasies (obviously that makes using Veeky Forums pretty tough). Today I realized that the only difference between me and them is that they hate people for circumstances of their birth while I hate people for their choices

The problem is though, can you choose what you believe? I can say the words "the sky is red" over and over again to myself but I can only ever see it as blue, I can never choose any other belief.

I've been an atheist for years but that didn't stop me from trying a huge number of religions, and yet I never once believed what I practiced, even though I tried to choose my belief system

Other urls found in this thread:

iep.utm.edu/doxa-vol/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-belief/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not really
I'd love to have socially acceptable beliefs but I have seen nothing to suggest that people are equal

what book is this?

The position that beliefs can be chosen is called "Doxastic Voluntarism". It's probably false.

iep.utm.edu/doxa-vol/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-belief/

Depends on how well thought-out or reasoned their belief is. Some beliefs are based on substantial evidence and experience, others are adherence to shit they were told by some older bigot.

Racists have a lot of good points and generally don't fantasize about murdering people not if their own race (yes I know there are people on /pol/ who do). Sounds like you're the dogmatic one and quite possibly unhinged. Nothing about racism requires you to actually hate the other.

Well... what do you think beliefs are (physically)?

perspectives

To be honest, I know the evidence is against me. Science favors the racists, but the truth has nothing to contribute to humanity. It can only cause suffering.

Humans aren't equal in ability, but they deserve equal rights, equal options, and equal treatment. We can't have that if we accept inequality

but treating people as equal has resulted in unequal treatment?

because at their core, people still know that we aren't made equal. So we say stuff like girls aren't can't code, which statistically is true, but on an individual scale isn't. For fuck's sake, the first programmer in history was a woman and she was pretty damn good at it. There are millions of talented female programmers just like Ada Lovelace but if we keep saying women suck at programming, those millions who ARE good are going to be paid less, hired less, and frequently dismissed or insulted.

If we force this idea that women are just as good as men at programming, those talented millions will be rewarded for their individual merits and the ones who suck will be weeded out for their own failures and not those of their sex

>the ones who suck will be weeded out for their own failures and not those of their sex
O i am laffin

Not really.

Not personal belief. You can lie to yourself and try to change, so there's that. You can choose to believe in how/what society is what it is. Since nobody knows ...

>Science favors the racists
/pol/ infocharts aren't science

That's the ideal, not the reality. It can never be reached, but we can get closer and closer. If we don't fight the bigotry we'll only go in the opposite direction, and more will suffer because of it

nothing is a choice.

people forget that they are contained within a bag of meat that has it’s own defenses, it’s own volition can override your own supposed free will.. in fact, your own body is a fascist by definition.. for example, let’s say you lost most of the skin on your face, arms and hands in a chemical fire, the body will create a temporary layer of skin that is similar to plastic, this ‘plastic skin’ will break if moved, and the pain caused by the breakage is enough to make you lose consciousness, trust me.. so all you can do is remain immobilized, the body is forcing you to obey it, so that the healing process can commence.. if you disobey and think you are the master of the body, the body will punish you until you fall into subservience.

>he believes that he's "something" that is within a container and isn't just the bag of meat itself.

If you try to make a society for the outliers who aren't powerful enough to form society themselves, the majority will suffer and little will be improved since those groups weren't worthwhile enough to seize power themselves. I can't see wanting that unless you have a pathological attachment to those outliers.

but when you tell people they are equal they expect equal outcomes
if they are not achieving equal outcomes then there must be some fault in the structure of society, because it is obvious that we are all equal there can be no other explanation

Too many humans are alive and we have destroyed earth and a sane and healthy life, all on the altar of the cult of égalité.

>I'm an X-Men.

so ebin

fair point.

Why is this shit thread allowed but not my Nietzsche thread?

kek you sound like a total spaz

>really hate racists with an unimaginable level of bile, the kind literally involves extended murder fantasies
I know progressives, however they may deny it, do try to subtlety encourage this type of thinking, but you should honestly take a deep take a deep breath.

That's built on the assumption that it's us versus them. It's not. We're trying to make as many people happy as possible, not cede happiness to those who take it by force.

And if you tell people we aren't equal, we get slavery, slums, race wars, genocides. You can't cure unhappiness, only minimize it

you fags fell for this leftypol bait lmao

So what do you do when people are just dumber than their peers? Do we somehow build a whole education system where nobody realizes that such a thing is possible?

Wrong. We're trying to give as many people as possible the chance to pursue their dream of happiness.

Happiness itself is a dangling carrot--you can't make people "happy."

so do you hate the jews or no?

Hmm. What would such an education scheme look like? Would all the kiddos get lumped together according to a classification that has nothing much to do with their intellect? Something like age, perhaps?

because only 5 people on this board read the others pretend or ask worthless questions that have nothing to do with literature like OP's

and never exhale

I don't hate very many people at all. I just think that people tend to be happiest in societies where they feel surrounded by people who share their background and values. Jews historically tended to disrupt such societies through their wanderings, which is no fault of their own. I think it's a wonderful thing that the Jews have places where their culture is dominant now.

If only it was simply ebin instead of true.

i have a slight dislike of eveyone

"Hate" is the religion of Political Correctness' word for Heresy.

>what is tracking
>what are grades
>what is admission to tertiary education programs
Did you even go to school?

Truth is always ebin, for the drama feels.

we want people to be judged on their individual merits, not their group merits. If an individual sucks at math, you don't let him be a rocket scientist. If a race on average sucks at math, that doesn't mean every individual does.

Ignore the group, see the individual

true, but how does racism help individuals achieve their dreams of happiness?

Happiness isn't achieved without obstacles.

The weak and stupid must be culled.

>Ignore the group, see the individual
Well, technically this is done in education. However, groups still don't have equal outcomes and members of the groups that aren't performing as strongly are claiming that they need special breaks, so now they want to be seen as a group and not as individuals because you've hurt their groups pride by comparing them individually to individuals from better-performing groups.

creating more obstacles doesn't make people happier, especially if said obstacles are in the form of insults and/or beatings

again, the problem comes from looking at groups. no groups, no problems

but we're living in the most unhappy period ever
if we tell people that they're the same as everyone else, of course they're going to be unhappy when they see everyone else achieving better outcomes

Go to the hood, tell the inhabitants that they're just like white people down to the last detail, and that they need to stop using group-oriented thinking as a survival tactic. That should go super well for you.

You're trying to ignore human nature to make people happy through sterile capitalistic values when there is a much simpler way to make people happy: satisfy that nature.

Less obstacles leading to happiness is neet-hood bias.

So hypothetically, if I beat the shit out of you because I don't like the way you look, will you be happier?

>but we're living in the most unhappy period ever
[citation needed]

People who "hate racists" are actually just as racist as racists themselves, but they just take it to the opposite extreme.

No, we're not. I'm white. I like white people. I like black people. I hate white people who mistreat black people for being black. I hate black people who mistreat white people for being white.

you don't hate racists
you hate that they're being proven right
in the back of your mind it gnaws at you ceaselessly

>No, we're not.

Yeah, you're the biggest racist of them all, pal.

I bet you think Trayvon Martin was in kindergarten.

No, I hate how they treat people. I don't mind people being right, and freely admit to being wrong if you can prove it, hell I did so right in this thread.

What I hate are people who are assholes to other people for no good reason

okay, now you're just trolling.

He was a highschooler armed with a bag of skittles. Careful, he'll give you tooth decay, better shoot him just to be safe and then

>So hypothetically, is something true all the time.

Again, overcoming the obstacle is happiness--not the obstacle itself. It's simple S&M.

Sorry it isn't nice.

...beat your wife and sell the gun for millions.

how do you overcome getting your ass beaten?

I've heard the body has the ability to heal.

and you're happier that you got the shit beat out of you?

sheltered cuck

insults, the highest form of argument there is.

jfc this shit is still being pushed

Personally, I'm happy that I stayed in my mother's basement. The joy is profound. The pride is deep. The respect I command, grand.

The 4 racists who do that agree with you fully

But I'm sure OP is talking about actual demographics in the modern world

Actually, I would prefer to be in a bed of cotton for my whole life. It would be like being in heaven on a cloud.

alright, we can both see you've run out of arguments that haven't fallen flat. GG user

Your irony as a defence mechanism is boring. Not saying George Zimmerman didn't have some kind of warped motive for following Trayvon or something, can't know that, but he was absolutely well within his rights to shoot him the way he did. Trayvon was bashing his head on the footpath, he could've died.

>carries break-in tools
>stopped by police before
>high
>just got back from buying "skittles" (was actually buying ingredients to get more high)
>"urban" black male in late teens (i.e. in demographic that is 200x more likely to assault a white person than the reverse, according to FBI statistics)
>has pictures of himself with unlicensed firearm on phone
>has many menacing pictures showing off his physique in general
>first response to being followed by a rentacop dipshit is to go out of his way to intercept and confront him, then begin savagely beating him and (likely) threatening to kill him
>guy being savagely beaten fears for his life, legally uses his legal firearm in the legally prescribed way to defend himself
>news literally whitewashes him, literally photoshops his pictures to make him look like a sweet hollywood negro angel, in the most subtle systemically racist patronizing of all time
>response: LOL SKITTLES
>RACISM IS A PROBLEM LET'S TALK ABOUT RACISM BLAH BLAH BLAH

How about talking about how your faggy progressive milieu is what got Trayvon shot in the long run, because you constantly apologise for his kind of behaviour and prevent society from excising the tumour it actually is

Debate is highschool-ish. It's not the highest form of discourse. Now we know what you are.

Thanks for proving my point.

>hash-tagged wall, internet points won

[citation needed]

please cite your sources

your point being what exactly?

Trayvon charged across open ground to reach Zimmerman, bashed his head against the concrete and could have killed him or given him lasting brain damage if he had continued. He was shot while on top of Zimmerman. The gun did not come out of the holster until the moment before the shot was fired.

nice ivory tower

read the fucking trial transcript
there was a reason he was found not guilty
protip: it wasn't the anti-black conspiracy

You're not interested in learning, thinking, other perspectives etc.

You're interested in your pre-conceived thought and being that last man standing.

Smacks of the uneducated.

WHY DO YOU ALL KEEP TAKING THIS BAIT, ARE YOU MASOCHISTS?

Of course.

We don't like happiness.

We enjoy hating niggers.

is a woman behind OP's post? Is she the type who would date a black man just to prove to herself that she isn't racist even if you she isnt attracted to black people in the slightest?

The would constitute moving outside OP's comfort zone. They'd rather shitpost.

im talkin bout op's post being the bait

I like arguing tbqh

And ... you just took bait yourself. You're no better than the rest of us.

And if Trayvon is an attempted murderer, what does that prove? That racism is valid? Never mind that you haven't proven anything, you haven't even cited any sources

Okay, let's assume everything there is completely valid. Let's assume trayvon really did attempt to attack zimmerman. Now what? What does this tell us about the point of this whole discussion? That racism doesn't exist? That it's completely valid?

one human benefited from cancer and rape. Well them, I guess it's a good thing we agreed all people are made with equal capacity to survive and improve from rape and cancer...

oh, wait, nevermind.

i didnt know if you were talking about op's post or not.

>So hypothetically, is something true all the time.

Point eludes thee.

a mistrust all shifty looking hoods and hooligans is proper

The thing about Trayvon isn't meant to prove racism isn't real. I was just mocking you because you've clearly bought into a truly twisted and anti-truth view of the world where you would rather claim that he was an innocent child than that one of your precious brown people did something wrong and shit happens. You're always on the defensive, thinking that every new development involving a brown person might discredit you in someone's eyes.

One day I will kill you, OP.

War is inevitable. The Futurists will prevail.

>"We will glorify war—the world's only hygiene—militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman."

This is a political, not literary no philosophical argument.

Can you tell the difference?

w/e famalam

I feel happy(er) now.

there was literally no evidence of any sort of racial motivation
the case really was a turning point in American politics, it showed just how much the media hates white America

This isn't the philosophy board and you haven't mentioned a single book, so I don't think that's a high ground you want to claim.

happier*

Your worldview is flawed and you likely hate racists because you don't want to understand where they're coming from. You probably feel that 'racism' is the ultimate sin and are terrified of falling into it yourself.

George Zimmerman is white? Why didn't anyone report this?

You can't just help but nibble, can you?