Veeky Forums, home of the Memelords

>see the greek's meme
>trying not to be such a pleb so I can shitpost with better accuracy
>Open ToC to Edith Hamilton's Mythology
>Last page is 462 before the index pages

You did not read all of these, liar.

Also, is her writing on myth's anything special? Does it go against, or is it more profound, than what one learns in a Myth lit course? I'm not trying to skip the book, but knowing half(ish) of the chapters are going to be review should keep my morale up enough to get through this book and onto the next.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/23525.Norse_Mythology
goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

learn to write

What are you talking about?

Mythology should be used more like a guide for the works as you read them, otherwise you're going to forget all about them.

You really need at least that and Robert Graves to shitpost here. Enjoy your lurking period, n00b.

Hamilton's Mythology is trash. Avoid.

>counts the pages in Hamilton's Mythology
>doesn't even count the verses in Hesiod's Theogony
>can't even shitpost right
I'm ashamed, to be honest, son. Have we taught you nothing?

what?

huh?

Thank you, I will start reading The Ilyad

Robert Graves is not listed on legreekmeme, what book/collection? Or should I just refer to his analysis like I would Edith Hamilton's?

Hesiod is a BC poet in which I want to be well-versed enough to handle. Edith Hamilton is just myth interpretations that, even through the first few chapters, seems more underwhelming than my CC lit classes.
I can handle reading 500+ for an historical document, but when an author is casually frolicking through the ancient mind with a pace that looks as if it was never edited, then yes I am going to ask other's opinions on its validity.

Would you recommend another book on Greek/Norse myth? Or is it casual enough to where some CC myth lit courses should suffice?

>Robert Graves is not listed on legreekmeme
maybe just read his Against Anthologies and kill yourself. Graves grates slightly less than Hamilton can, but neither's really necessary. If you want his standard, it's the one called The Greek Myths, and you can work out from there if you like.
Just read Hesiod, Hamilton's Mythology being in those charts is just a concession to the retarded.

If you can't read 500 pages retelling of Greek myths then how are you going to handle thousands and thousands of pages of Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Thucydides, Herodotus, Aeschylus, Sophocles, etc?

Wait, 462 pages is long? That's hardly more than a novella, I know reading is in decline but I didn't realise it was this fucking bad when Veeky Forums lit struggles with college-level reading. Wtf do plebbit users read? HP-fanfic?

>edith hamilton is college level
fucking kill me

Primary sources for Greek mythology.

For Norse Mythology, I recommend 'Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs' by John Lindow:

goodreads.com/book/show/23525.Norse_Mythology

Because
>500 pages retelling greek myth
Might be unnecessary for someone who has intro classes to myth lit under their belt, and asking for clarity is better than blindly following the meme.

Also half the people in this thread are saying Hamilton is garbage, and seeing as how I got a sense of that in the first 3 pages, I decided to ask the most helpful board on the internet.

These two volumes contain the totality of what we know about Greek Mythology:

- 'Anthology Of Classical Myth: Primary Sources in Translation': goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
- 'Apollodorus' Library and Hyginus' Fabulae: Two Handbooks of Greek Mythology': goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths

OP here, this is why I'm asking. I'm in the intro and already like WTF, this is the shit I learned in grade school, and way too flowery.

Then don't read it

These will be very helpful, but I'm also disappointed you didn't also shitpost me on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. At least refer to my faggotry as plebeian.

thanks for the bump

it's a kids book. it's for before they went to school and learnt greek.

Sorry I though OP was referring to Robert Graves Greek Myths, as I've never heard of Edith Hamilton, I just skimmed the post and saw him whining about the length.

>claims reading is in decline
>apologizes for skimming