This book is pretty funny actually

This book is pretty funny actually

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2016/mar/01/lolita-vladimir-nabokov-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Stop it, boner" the book

Yup, as it was intended to be. Though most of the humor went over my head the first time I read it.

If you want light hearted and funny pick up Pnin

Finally, a beautiful cover for Lolita. Does anyone have examples of covers that don't feature a visual pun on a young girl's panties or crotch or other such sexual innuendo?

mine just has a white girl's face and lips accentuated

best one

by Sam Weber.

Pale Fire is much funnier than both imo, possibly the funniest book I've ever read. The narrator/editor is literally fucking insane.

I've got the Penguin Essentials version and it's just a blonde girl eating an apple

Best are the ones that skip over the "visual pun" part.

Good cover, since the book is really about Humbert.

I have this one and I personally dislike the font choice for the title/author.

lmao

"Then I pulled out my automatic - I mean that is the kind of fool thing the reader might suppose I did."

if you didn't die laughing you're not my friend

Yeah, I think this one avoids innuendos.

>This cover was never actually released. Instead, the 50th anniversary edition was toned down, though quite simply so. In fact, a single 90-degree turn and a hue alteration changed this cover from offensive to universally tame.
aw

what a bunch of pussies

Why? I think the font face has a sort of innocence and cleanliness, which is what the editor was going for, I guess.

shucks

>implying if lolita was a video game it wouldn't be an infiltration third person shooter where you have to break into a girl's school, steal a sock, cum on it and return it before the guards notice one of them is tranq'd in the bushes

my cover

under my breath, in my mom's basement, i said "kek..."

Ok, maybe the title does not look that bad, but nabokov's name in that same font lowercase style seems artificial and unnecessarily .. fancy

i really believe this is the best book cover for it. i hate all the weird, faintly sexualized covers with young girls or adult women. it just totally ruins your perspective when reading it.

i love this cover because it actually shows the story for what it is: tragic and disturbing. humbert's reflection in lolita's tears conveys that message really well.

i'm aware this isn't an official cover, btw. i was looking at lolita cover redesigns (because the majority of the official ones are shit) and fell in love with this one. the person who made it really understood the book very well.

>i hate all the weird, faintly sexualized covers with young girls

They're literally just trying to sell copies.

Your cover looks like a retard drew it.

That cover is /r/im14andthisisdeep/ material lol

Lolita fucking wanted it.

Yeah she's one of those bitches who lies and says she got raped after you have totally consensual sex with her. They can go fuck themselves

that cover is disgusting. this one is the best

Actually this one is the best because it's from a famous artist and it just goes all out and shows her naked.

>putting a girl's face on the cover rather than allowing the reader to imagine her face based on Nabokov's prose

REEEEEEEE

This actually makes me pretty angry.

Whatever.

it's terrible. It's literally the YA version of the cover if lolita was a YA book.

50th anniversary is the best imo

This is the one I've got, pretty terrible.

I've got this one. Better than the other pengiun editions I've seen.

alright lit, ada or pale fire?

dude, she was like 12.....

I have an earlier version of that (Penguin Classics, silver livery), and the preceding Penguin Twentieth Century Classics (green livery) version with Balthus' "Girl and Cat".

Here's Lolita reviewed for a YA audience:

theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2016/mar/01/lolita-vladimir-nabokov-review

>child's face on the cover

Probably the tamest pedophilic painting Balthus ever painted.

>Throughout reading this text and even for months afterwards I found myself asking the same questions over and over again... I slowly started to realise that Humbert was not a reliable narrator at all and although I had a lot of confusion about whether or not he truly was in love with Lolita, I came to the conclusion that the book is not a tragic love story about a forbidden relationship, it is about how a middle-aged man repeatedly took advantage of a young girl.

LMFAO

>I said nothing. I pushed her softness back into the room and went in after her. I ripped her shirt off. I unzipped the rest of her. I tore off her sandals. Wildly, I pursued the shadow of her infidelity; but the scent I travelled upon was so slight as to be practically indistinguishable from a madman's fancy.

Very bonerific passage though it loses a bit of its power when taken out of context.

dat butterfly

Lolita is romeo & juliet of 20th century

Well, Nabokov was a noted lepidopterist. (He preferred classification by inspection of the genitalia).

The hell? I just started reading earlier and I thought it was more about the struggles of a young man to overcome his childhood trauma, and to suppress the base urges with which that trauma afflicted him. Only now that he's stopped struggling against his carnal appetites and has progressed into a full on unabashed pedophile has it really gotten into any sort of situation where he's taking advantage of Dolores' grief and lack of options to bang her night after night.

I have little room to talk, but I think that reviewer may have missed the point

>He preferred classification by inspection of the genitalia

Well, I mean. Don't we all.

surely it's not maya the honeybee
:3

looks like the first tattoo of a sexually confused psychology major w/ daddy issues

yeah maybe if you're a pedophile. to normal, non-autistic Veeky Forums, humbert was twisted and unreliable. having a sexualized cover of lolita is what causes autists to think that she actually fucking wanted it.

>tl:dr get better reading comprehension skills and learn a few things about symbolism and literary analysis

this is literally the message the book is meant to convey.

She played him along. It's pretty obvious.

i can't tell what's bait and what isn't anymore

Lolita definitely wanted it at first.

?

>that reviewer may have missed the point
ya think?!
L0L that reviewer is a repressed idiot

>she actually fucking wanted it
two words for the clueless:
Clare Quilty

The one I borrowed from the library is like this.

Do you think Claire was actually impotent, as he claimed?

It really isn't.