Tfw never seen an opera/play

>tfw never seen an opera/play
>tfw know little of classical music
>tfw don't have the refined taste for wines, aristocratic tier cuisine etc.

I'm doing well in terms of reading, like I feel I'm actually reading patrician works.
But I'm a total pleb in other fields and that's utterly embarrassing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LdH1hSWGFGU
youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZHjSA8mkY
youtube.com/watch?v=Oct3qvTqa2g
youtube.com/watch?v=nKj1iK2WKS8
youtube.com/watch?v=BDaqcymuJaw
youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTKpfSNcU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>wanting to become a literal stereotype

why

who cares? really

Enjoy the works, if you don't like opera don't listen to it.
You are not forced to like something.
But if you like rap or some shit music, you can't call yourself "well-read" or "patrician"... In reality you are a disgrace.

As far as classical music goes, here are three different styles of it:

youtube.com/watch?v=LdH1hSWGFGU

youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZHjSA8mkY

youtube.com/watch?v=Oct3qvTqa2g

You ought to like one of them.
After you choose one (or all) wander through other compositions that are alike.
Google is your best friend.

Seeing a play is the only thing out of all these that I think you should actually do.

Based heidegger explains that our usual way of looking at something is to make an assertion about it and check it's correctness, which necessarily closes part of the thing to us ("opera = classical music with vocals, I'm supposed to like the vocals, do I like the vocals?") instead, he says to engage with the thing in a way that lets it be itself. Eschew expectation of what or how you should like those things, and instead let them open up to you such that you find something enjoyable in them (keep drinking wine until you find something to like about it; watch or read shit until you can discover the larger truth about it)

Start with the monks.
youtube.com/watch?v=nKj1iK2WKS8

not only are you a pleb, but your idea of patriciandom is pleb too

Performed plays are fucking trash and completely irrelevant since the birth of film.

youtube.com/watch?v=BDaqcymuJaw

plays are shit, theatre is where it's at

I find this similar to Zen, with keeping the beginner's mind that is open to all possibilities

Lower upfront costs mean that you can take risks and cater to a more niche audience. Try not to be 'tarded next post. Thanks.

>>tfw never seen an opera/play
Then go to a fucking theater and see a play. The actors don't bite.
I wouldn't recommend live operas if you aren't into classical music already, though. Paying an expensive ticket for something you don't enjoy sucks. Watch some recordings first.
>classical
Get Aaron Copland's "What to listen for in music" and/or Roger Kamien's "Music: An Appreciation".
>wine
Hasn't it been scientifically proven that oenology is a bunch of bullshit and that "experts" can't tell apart expensive old wine from cheap shit?

This.

Seems like you want to become "that kind of person" just because it will make you look...look what ? Nice ? Posh ? Intelligent ?
Being pleb isn't embarassing. It is all social constructions. What matters is to be authentic. At least, it's my opinion.

ITT: how do I into bourgeoisie culture?

Get fucked, drone

Do you like classical music? If so then go for it. If not, why bother? And another thing, classical music live is the most boring thing ever. I went to a concert hall before and it was three and a half hours of music. The first hour was amazing but the second dragged on and after two hours and thirty minutes I left because I was falling asleep. If you're born after 1990 you most likely won't enjoy a concert hall, probably because our brains and attention span for boredom are so out of wack.

Be yourself.
/Teenage years
/Thread

That level of spookiness is disconcerting.

>classical music live is the most boring thing ever
That might be true for you because you rarely listen to classical and don't know how to approach it.

Don't force yourself to listen to music because you want to appear sophisticated.
You should listen because you like it. If you want some entry level stuff then I'd recommend baroque
>Vivaldi's Gloria
>Handel's water music
>Bach's BWV 140 Sleepers Wake

>patrician
>having less than eight figures of old-money in the family trust
pick one

>But if you like rap or some shit music

genuinely curious, whats wrong with rap?

I literally got hard from seeing Mozart's 41st symphony performed by a top orchestra. I was grinning like a madmen all 40+ minutes of it and it was infinitely more exciting than any other genre of concert I've seen.
Speak for yourself

OP, the last 150 years were revolutionary for culture. Enjoy them

>lower upfront costs
independent films

It's just rhythmical lyricism
Not music. It's shitty beats in the bacground do not constitute music in my opinion. I can enjoy rap too but to consider it music is far fetched

black people make it

Nothing. It depends why you listen to it, though

theatre's fun; book tickets.
order your drinks for the interval in the bar before the first half. the bell means take your seats. opening nights are cheap a lot of places because the actors might fuck up. stop being concerned with status, only the globe and blackfriars still make the really cheap seats stand.

I used to get free opening night tickets for my local municipal theater via my aunts senior citizen group. Unfortunately a few years after she died they figured it out and stopped sending them to me.

I really miss it and was considering just sitting in the free seats this year. Anyone know any kind of binoculars or opera glasses made for this kind of thing?

Fundamentaly, nothing. To be more specific, I think it depend of what you are listening to, who. French is my mother tongue and there are plenty of French Speaking rappers who deserve attention, in my opinion. The same goes for the English ones.

It is reducing. If that so, a lot of genre can't be called "music". I think that the way you define music is too restrictive.

Not only, Bait-Kun.

Thanks.

any guides on how to approach?

Baroque?
Why Baroque?

Listen to whatever. Try some Wiener classical stuff. Try Some Baroque. Try some Romantic stuff. Try something neoclassical.

Whatever you like: stick with it. whatever you don't like: stop listening to it.

Personally I find Baroque boring at times - some composers can be summarized by calling their works: Absolute Hapsichord 1, 2 and 3.
Some Baroque music is great.

It's all up to personal preference, but hard to know what you prefer (if anything) if you haven't tried anything.

see and, more importantly, listen to it. You won't get a lot of it at first, but you'll become accustomed to the style and sooner or later you'll understand and enjoy it. Nobody enjoys something as distant as classical music or ancient greek literature the first time they experience it. (at least, I didn't)

I like Debussy, I know I'm a pleb and I dont care. Stop being a cuck.

With the volume turned on and when you have time on your hands to relax and listen.

If you still don't like it, so be it.

>whats wrong with rap?
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

it hasn't been around long enough as a genre to actually produce many (good) artists who want to go against the dogma and produce anything of worth (avant-garde). Clouddead and such are good, but otherwise it's just a pretty boring young genre. I listen to Madvillain or GZA and such, but in terms of actual artistic merit, which is what OP is looking for, rap is a pretty shitty genre to find it.

>what to listen for in music
Thankfully my library has that in stock. Gonna check it out.

sheep here

kekking @ you rn

If we are going to call Wagner, music then we can't also call some nigger stammering indecipherable birdshit "lyrics" about lyrical spiritual individual (which is alot of rap, not saying all)

We can. You just have to realize that there is different genres under one concept and different levels of quality. Is it that hard ?

Plus, I don't know what's your knowledge about rap, but it's something very wide. Looks like you only know about the most visible ones.

I'm talking about prevalent rap that most of the genre is saturated with. The musicality of nearly all of rap consists of a generic or uncomplicated beat, looped in the background. Even really good rappers are musically simple. Their rhymes are not music

It's rather indicative how so-called patricians here would consider classical music and theatre unpleasing to their senses, even "lol boring", yet would still praise their own appreciation of literature as a clear sign of their own refinement.
All modern music is negroid in origin. It's entertaining to see /mu/ discuss syncopated dance music as anything more than a primitivist regression, as a technique as seen among the Yoruba to induce possession. Or vandalism, in the form of niggroglyphics, as an art form.

There's no such thing as patrician anymore. Aristocracy is dead. No bloodlines to carry it, just the offspring of a mercantile class using its coins to shape a colossal recipient for elitism, but finding no actual content to fill their decadent gilded vessel.
So they go on and salvage symbols of stature. All resulting in eclectic signalling, but being nothing more than the support for a narcissistic fantasy; no class of people to regard it as anything more than silly entertainment.

And a bunch of petty bourgeois marxist mandarins ( 'scholars' ), with their postmodern rococo pretending they're the cultural elite and vanguard, thinking they're on the same level as the thinkers of old because of their myopic reading of the past.. they are a humorous faux pas if anything.. and even unimportant to the cause of the people their purport to champion.

>petty bourgeois marxist mandarins ( 'scholars' ), with their postmodern rococo pretending
Beautiful

>tfw never seen an opera/play

jesus dude just look up some theatres in nearby towns or cities, there's probably one on in the next few weeks. just book a ticket and go

start with madam butterfly or something, that's like gateway opera for noobs

I mostly agree for the prevalent ones. About the music, yes, generraly simple. But the interest of rap isn't really on the music, not always.

>all these posts giving OP shit for wishing to cultivate taste

You know how I know you're poor, retards?

If this isn't sincere then 9/10. If it is then LOL.

Stop samefagging sweetheart.

>Not music. It's shitty beats in the bacground do not constitute music in my opinion.
Your opinion is wrong I'm afraid.

stop being wrong sweetheart

This is some solid argument you have here pal, "No, you're wrong.".

that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

also stop being the fucking board police

That's almost legit but I take the "stop being the fucking board police". Just wanted you to arrĂȘter de te jeter des fleurs petit con.

>replying for my four hour ago post
I love classical music and seeing it live was great and exciting for the first maybe two hours, but after that it got old and lost its charm when I realized I could listen to this same thing at home for free and I could pause it and rewind. It loses its charm after you realize you can get the same experience at home with good speakers.
Well, like I said I was happy and excited the first hour and I thought it was amazing but after about an hour and a half in it started to slow down a bit for me. Could you have sat through more than 2 hours of it? If so, that is great! But not me.

Degenerate detected

Literally one step away from the clicking african "languages"

You people need to listen to DĂ€lek. It's at least a step in the right direction for the genre, despite having their peak ~15 years ago and no comparable rap has been released since.

Dude, I really hope you're not serious. Art is art, depending only on the skill of the artist and the ability of the art to convey the emotions and beauty to the observer.

Get with the times, embrace where the world is going, grandpa

is the last sentence here about Zizek?

much of rap is built on the sampling of music and still uses many of its forms. it's music but an advanced form of it

i'm poor for thinking some theme park idea of patriciandom is not fulfilling or even tasteful

Rap is just vocalization. Vocalization is by its nature less refined. Now, singing is lovely, but rap isn't singing. It's speaking very fast over a basic beat.

>Art is art, depending only on the skill of the artist and the ability of the art to convey the emotions and beauty to the observer.

haha eat a fucking dick. this is the most grandpa idea of art

it's speaking fast and rhythmically. if you were to read something out fast it would not sound like a rap

and generally no the beats aren't "basic". and rap is also synonymous with hip hop which is more than just the vocalisation. you can save yourself the trouble of an equivocation fallacy

Fake it til ya make it hoss

The beats are basic. It's a drum machine. Tell me the difference in each of these. There almost isn't any. Rap is basic and primitive, that's fine. It isn't 'patrician', it isn't high class, or anything of the sort.

youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTKpfSNcU

That's what it is. It's from a specific life style that found in American cities from the late 1960s to the present. It is primary found in black communities. It does not invoke strong emotions or require the same drive as opera, classical, or even traditional folk music. You can enjoy rap, but don't mistake it for anything more than what is it.

the contention is that rap is just 'over a beat' when you can hear from your examples it is not just speaking fast over a drum machine

>You can enjoy rap, but don't mistake it for anything more than what is it.

similarly there's no point underselling it

It's more than speaking quickly over a beat, but it isn't complex by any means.

I'm not underselling. I'm telling you rap isn't complex or fulfilling beyond the surface level.

it has a complicated relationship to 'traditional' music so yes it is complex

i was replying to whoever was saying it is just 'speaking fast over a beat' so if you're not saying that then there's no point in you replying to me arguing something else

By more than speaking quickly over a fast beat, I mean that it is about the image you as the rapper portray. It's a social mechanism, but rapping, act of preforming a rap, is just speaking over a fast drum beat.

Ay, I'll give you 5 months to make a decent hip-hop record.

After that tell me how simple it is. Retard.

ITT: white people

I doubt anyone here has listened to any hip-hop album fully.

again, it's speaking rhythmically over a 'beat' which in a hip hop sense refers to more than just the percussion. if you were to talk fast it would not sound at all like rap. if you were to rap over a drum kit it would not sound like contemporary hip hop.

you can try telling me you're not underselling it but every other word you post contradicts that point

Classical music is pleb as fuck desu

'classical music' isn't a thing, it's a literal bourgeoisie construct made during the Romantic era.

Call it 'art music' or something, because it sure as hell isn't a genre.
>"opera = classical music with vocals, I'm supposed to like the vocals, do I like the vocals?"
No it's not.
>classical music live is the most boring thing ever.
No it's not, the opposite really; you just don't know enough of the history or theory to really enjoy it.
It's barely musical and kind of trite.
But Dalek is bad; same trite nonsense forced in other 'political' or 'conscious' or 'whatever' acts.

And then there's tape/digital fuckery, the same kind that has been done since the '60s.
Because 'classical' invokes images of 'best of' compilations and sentimentalism.

>tfw neet for 5 years and patrician in everything
Feels settling.

If hip-hop was worth listening to I'd listen, but it's complete shit.

Let's hear about your journey.

>'classical music' isn't a thing, it's a literal bourgeoisie construct made during the Romantic era.

Ugh, you're one of those douche bags who has to point out the eras instead of just accepting that nearly everyone calls it classical music. Kill yourself.

>people say it so its correct

Western Art music is called Classical music. Anything from Von Bingen to Reich is Classical. Stop being one of those ahchkually people.

>stop being le meme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>classical music
>has nothing to do with classicism

I did sit through a 3 hour concert same as you (with a brief intermission)
The symphony was the last 40 minutes and before the intermission was a piano concerto and selections from Don Giovani all of which I was engaged through. I'm a Mozart fan boy but to the average listener I could see how it might be draining.

Nope, Classical music only includes composers from the period from 1750 to 1820. Next time do some research before posting a comment, dumbass.

Please stop being such a fucking pedant, dude. Not even that guy but holy shit.

In other words, you fucked up big time by not doing your research, and now you're trying to paper over it with some hand-waving. Not gonna happen, shitbird.

nice wikipedia, asshole.
the word has two meanings and your time period is stupidely reductive.

>mfw

Wow, do people seriously think in terms of "high class" or "patrician" ? You sound like you are serious about that. Do you really live in a world of social hierarchy like that ? That's awful really.
And "it's a drum machine". How fucking ignorant are you ? You sound like you don't know jackshit about production. Please, just don't talk about things you don't know. That's useless to everyone.

Hip hop is great when you're 15 and you fool yourself into thinking it's good or worth your time at all.

You're digging yourself deeper into the hole. The word means what it means, and no amount of "dog ate my homework" pleading is going to change that.

Opera is not classical music with vocals m8

Wow look at this smart fella, he knows so much about "art" music that he can participate in retarded "no you"-tier discussions.

That's a low bar, isn't it? And yet you fail.

Fail at what?

You're wrong dude, just accept it. You're referring to the classical 'era', not classical music generally.

Classical music is Western art music from about 1750 to 1820.

'Western art music' more commonly goes by 'classical music'.